RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: RMAF new stuff, new stuff.... (pics on page 2)
« Reply #120 on: 20 Sep 2012, 02:54 pm »
I like this clean line look a lot better. Like jparkhur said it is more modern and more refined. I have never cared for the stands (feet) on the
Super V myself, and even more with this version I think something with cleaner (straight) lines on the base would look much better, just my opinion.

Also Danny, congratulations on your new business venture. About 25 years ago when I had a young business I told a very successful 79 year old client that I was
thinking about quiting the business I was in because I wanted to do something else. He looked at me and said, why don't you just do both? That was the best
advice anyone ever gave me.

Captainhemo

« Reply #121 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:00 pm »
Optional look. What do you guys think of this?

I really like this one Definitely a cleaner look.  Personally,   I think it looks  more "Classy".
Very  nice   :thumb:

jeffh

« Reply #122 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm »
Definitely like the optional non-bowtie look the best.

srclose

« Reply #123 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:10 pm »
Sleeker look without the bow tie.  Nice proportions.

SRC

nickd

« Reply #124 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:15 pm »
I'm a "bow tie" owner, :thumb:

If I were selling product at 20k, I would go with the full grill and no "bow tie" however. That just seems to be what the market expects. I have found if you want to stay in business it's best not to fight the market unless you have a product like the "I phone" that is powerfull enough in demand to re-shape the entire market.

A dipole at 20k no mater how good is not likely to re-shape the market. This market is just too small and their are too few rooms and familes that can handle the size, placement requirements of the "Super 7".

I do hope I'm in that "small" market. I love Danny's designs and those neo drivers. I have realized, that I need two rooms now, as I love "Line Source" designs as well. Kind of like my fondness for both tubes and solid state I guess.

Can't wait to hear the new design at RMAF :drool:

Danny Richie

« Reply #125 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:18 pm »
I have never cared for the stands (feet) on the Super V myself, and even more with this version I think something with cleaner (straight) lines on the base would look much better, just my opinion.

The shape of the base can be altered some, but the wide positioning of the floor spikes really helps with stability. Floor spikes need to be forward of the plane of the front baffle and a little wider than the sides.

This is another great thing about speakers that are not built in China 100 pairs at a time and you take what is available. These will be built in small runs. So the customer can decide how they wants their speakers to look and what color they want them to be.

Danny Richie

« Reply #126 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:20 pm »
If I were selling product at 20k, I would go with the full grill and no "bow tie" however. That just seems to be what the market expects. I have found if you want to stay in business it's best not to fight the market unless you have a product like the "I phone" that is powerfull enough in demand to re-shape the entire market.

That is very true.

sl_1800

« Reply #127 on: 20 Sep 2012, 03:56 pm »
I like the no bow tie look better as well.  For me I would change the feet somehow, not sure how, and decrease the radius on the front lower corner of the side panels.  Just my 2 cents worth.

rockdrummer

« Reply #128 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:05 pm »
I really like the bow tie look on the now discontinued V2, and current Super V.  But I'm leaning toward leaving it off the Super 7 because it looks sleek and stylish.  It is hiding a powerful yet delicate identity underneath that fits the look.  I can't get past the fact that I think it should look more different than similar than the GR builds.

Jealous and loving the looks.

Good luck.

I used to really want Martin Logan electrostats.  Secretly hoping these give the CLX a beatdown. 

ben

Don_S

« Reply #129 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:40 pm »
My feeble brain demanded to see them side by side (or at least in the same post--one up and one down).  Why does the bottom one remind me of a penguin?  :scratch:

Optional look. What do you guys think of this?

Danny Richie

« Reply #130 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:43 pm »
I am starting to like the continuous grill myself.  :thumb:

sl_1800

« Reply #131 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:56 pm »
Danny, how tall are they?

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #132 on: 20 Sep 2012, 04:58 pm »
Congratulations Danny, Ruben and co. I'm sure these are going to blow people away, hope I can hear them one day.

I much prefer the no-bow tie look as well.

The look of the Super V kit I am building appeals to me as the ratio of material above and below the bow tie , and the size of the bow tie itself, is naturally pleasing to my eyes. Even though it does look like a penguin :)

The pics on page 2 did not appeal to me, it looks visually unbalanced.

The pics of the no-bow tie option really speak to me though and I would love a pair :) They look very elegant.

I agree that the bottom/front radius of the side panels could be tighter/smaller.

The feet don't bother me, I like them but the shape of the 2 front feet could perhaps match the shape of the top of the side panels. It might look nice if both parts had a similar size and shape. It might tie in the top and bottom of the speaker.

I assume they are simply 4/3rds the height of the Super V?

Floor spikes need to be forward of the plane of the front baffle and a little wider than the sides.

Does that go for the Super V as well? I'm thinking of putting me front spikes about 2" behind the plane of the front baffle, but with a rear spike 17" behind the front baffle plane. Sorry to be OT.

I think it's great that  you are making products out of the price range of DIY. You do enough for that segment of the market, it's about time you did something like this :)

Saying that, all the parts to build this speaker are available yes? Theoretically, one could build more or less this speaker DIY. Of course the x over is a problem but one could go fully active, or try and sort out a passive network themselves.             

I think the magic of Danny's designs is in the x overs,that IP should be well guarded, maybe you can pot the whole X over in black resin or something to keep prying eyes away.

Skiman

« Reply #133 on: 20 Sep 2012, 05:30 pm »
I prefer the 'no bowtie' look myself. More importantly, I asked my significant other her opinion, and she agreed, commenting that it looked sleeker.

I wonder how many of these $20,000 speakers are going to wind up in dedicated listening rooms, and how many will live in a living room coexisting with other furniture.

jn316

« Reply #134 on: 20 Sep 2012, 05:31 pm »
I think getting the baffle just right with the DIY route would be a challenge...per conversations with Danny.

jeffh

« Reply #135 on: 20 Sep 2012, 05:59 pm »
Where is the crossover?  Are you putting it into an external box or mounting it like the V1?

Danny Richie

« Reply #136 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:10 pm »
Does that go for the Super V as well? I'm thinking of putting me front spikes about 2" behind the plane of the front baffle, but with a rear spike 17" behind the front baffle plane. Sorry to be OT.

If you do that then a great majority of the weight will all be on the front spikes.

Danny, how tall are they?

Not counting any floor spikes, about 57 inches tall.

Early B.

« Reply #137 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:26 pm »
No bow tie. The full grille looks much more elegant and high class for the market.

R_burke

« Reply #138 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:29 pm »
No bow tie. The full grille looks much more elegant and high class for the market.

I second the emotion

SoCalWJS

« Reply #139 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:49 pm »
If you do that then a great majority of the weight will all be on the front spikes.

Not counting any floor spikes, about 57 inches tall.
What is the height of the tweeter? (Chair question - how tall should my chair be..I really like my earsto be very close to the height of thw tweeter(s))