Qobuz confused

docder

Qobuz confused
« on: 14 Aug 2019, 08:40 pm »
I have been having trouble with Qobuz access via Bryston MDP on my BDP-3 for a few days. Last weekend Qobuz stalled when playing an album from Qobuz. MDP kept trying to load a track without success. I gave up and switched over to Audirvana UPnP rendering Qobuz to BDP which worked fine. This evening I went back to MDP only to find the same track failing to load. Trying to load another album from Qobuz to playlist worked but still nothing would load to play. But now things have gone even more bad. Although I am signed in to Qobuz, when I now try to access Q in the add music list I am asked to sign in again and when I try to sign in I receive message saying account details are invalid. I can sign into Qobuz directly in a browser with the same details. Can anyone offer advice on how to solve this? I am running latest beta from 8/8.

docder

Re: Qobuz confused
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2019, 04:52 pm »
My Qobuz sign issue seems to have resolved itself on the BDP. I can access my Qobuz library in MDP and tracks will load to the play list but they still will not play. When I select a track to play it sits stalled and then gives. if there is a no-Qobuz tracked lined up as the next song than that will begin to play.  Qobuz is good for me either in the Qobuz Desk Top Player or in Audirvana in all playback options except to UPnP to BDP.
Chris, any ideas? is this a BDP or Qobuz problem?

D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2019, 04:54 pm »
My Qobuz sign issue seems to have resolved itself on the BDP. I can access my Qobuz library in MDP and tracks will load to the play list but they still will not play. When I select a track to play it sits stalled and then gives. if there is a no-Qobuz tracked lined up as the next song than that will begin to play.  Qobuz is good for me either in the Qobuz Desk Top Player or in Audirvana in all playback options except to UPnP to BDP.
Chris, any ideas? is this a BDP or Qobuz problem?

D

Hi D

Chris is away this week so should answer on Monday.

james

docder

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2019, 06:37 pm »
Thanks James. I'll keep having a go to resolve the issue until then.  D

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2019, 06:50 pm »
Are you running the beta firmware? I think Qobuz broke with beta firmware, but stable release works fine.

docder

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2019, 11:46 am »
Thanks Gary, Yes, running beta. I will go back to stable release and try again.
I have discovered I might have two issues running concurrently, one is Qobuz playing and the other is UPnP appears faulty in latest release from Audirvana. If I revert to earlier Audirvana+ version UPNP to BDP works fine including Qobuz. I am waiting response from Audirvana on the issue.

D

docder

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:24 pm »
Reverting to the stable release of firmware has not solved the Qobuz issue. I can access Qobuz content in MDP, load to playlist but the player does not play the tracks. On selecting play the player scrolls through the playlist tracks rapidly without playing a note from any of them.

docder

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2019, 03:12 pm »
My Qobuz library is working UPnP to other media servers such as Naim Qb through apps like Lumin but the BDP when listed within Lumin has similar problems to what it has in Bryston MDP, Qobuz is not responding to play selection.  I now think this is a BDP issue with Qobuz, for me, at least. And it appears to apply to the stable firmware as well as beta versions.
Is no one else experiencing Qobuz play problems?

I'll fiddle no more and wait response from Chris next week.

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2019, 04:35 pm »
My Qobuz library is working UPnP to other media servers such as Naim Qb through apps like Lumin but the BDP when listed within Lumin has similar problems to what it has in Bryston MDP, Qobuz is not responding to play selection.  I now think this is a BDP issue with Qobuz, for me, at least. And it appears to apply to the stable firmware as well as beta versions.
Is no one else experiencing Qobuz play problems?

I'll fiddle no more and wait response from Chris next week.

Don't get too enamored with Qobuz. I tried it, but found it to sound inferior to music I import on USB drives. For the absolute best fidelity, buy your CDs and import them yourself.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2019, 06:07 pm »
Don't get too enamored with Qobuz. I tried it, but found it to sound inferior to music I import on USB drives. For the absolute best fidelity, buy your CDs and import them yourself.

:thumb:
 :tempted:    :peek:

docder

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2019, 07:40 pm »
Thank you for your advice.
I have been using Qobuz for years and have not noted any problems with its audio quality, its the equal of CD rips, and CD plays. Plus I have more CDs than I am likely to be able to play end to end between now and my end.
I stream and I play CDs but what I'd like is Qobuz playback to be sorted on my BDP so the wonders of the two can be brought together again.

gbaby

« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2019, 08:49 pm »
Thank you for your advice.
I have been using Qobuz for years and have not noted any problems with its audio quality, its the equal of CD rips, and CD plays. Plus I have more CDs than I am likely to be able to play end to end between now and my end.
I stream and I play CDs but what I'd like is Qobuz playback to be sorted on my BDP so the wonders of the two can be brought together again.

I feel the same way about Tidal as well as hi res digital downloads. To me, it seems as if there is a slight veil over the upper mids and high frequencies. I had all my music imported using iTunes. But, I experimented with dbpoweramp and to my surprise, that importing program lifted a veil off the music that I did not know was there. It also improved the stereo imaging, dynamic range and the music notes have more slam or depth. I am now re-importing all my music as I write and I am rediscovering my CD catalog.  :o

gbaby

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2019, 08:54 pm »
:thumb:
 :tempted:    :peek:

I forgot to mention that Qobuz locked my system up and Bryston had to issue a software upgrade to prevent it from re-occurrng. However, since I got a taste of the music quality of Qoubuz, I have not bothered with it again.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2019, 06:49 am »
Reverting to the stable release of firmware has not solved the Qobuz issue. I can access Qobuz content in MDP, load to playlist but the player does not play the tracks. On selecting play the player scrolls through the playlist tracks rapidly without playing a note from any of them.

That's usually an error involving your ability to access the files. Perhaps try logging out of Qobuz, reboot, and then log back in. It's just one of those initial diagnostic steps that might help.

docder

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2019, 02:44 pm »
Thanks Grit,

Tried all that, several times. Qobuz works for me on other apps and devices but not on my BDP.
It has worked fine since Q day one on BDP but started acting up a week ago. It might need the magic touch from afar that Chris can do through servicing ...

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2019, 06:10 am »
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope Chris ia ble to work it out.

I switched over to Roon a year or so ago. There was a while where MPD sounded clearly better (IMO). Then the playing field leveled (or I lost the ability to distinguish) and they sounded (nearly) identical. Once that happened, the ease and comfort of Roon's interface became a priority for me.

I think Chris has done wonders for MPD, and I'd never second-guess someone for loving/preferring it. If Roon is something you'd consider though (given its setup and price), it's worth a consideration. Roon handles Qobuz, Tidal, my media library, etc through Roon w/o any issues.

gbaby

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2019, 02:36 pm »

I switched over to Roon a year or so ago. There was a while where MPD sounded clearly better (IMO). Then the playing field leveled (or I lost the ability to distinguish) and they sounded (nearly) identical. Once that happened, the ease and comfort of Roon's interface became a priority for me.

Are you saying MPD still has a slight sonic edge? :?

docder

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2019, 08:06 pm »
Grit wrote -

I think Chris has done wonders for MPD, and I'd never second-guess someone for loving/preferring it. If Roon is something you'd consider though (given its setup and price), it's worth a consideration. Roon handles Qobuz, Tidal, my media library, etc through Roon w/o any issues. -

I tried Roon for a while but as Qobuz is now my only external stream, I'm happy with Bryston MPD and several locally attached drives. Roon seems an unnecessary extra.
Just waiting for my within MPD Qobuz to return to activity.

Krutsch

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2019, 03:42 pm »
Roon seems an unnecessary extra.

That's fair, but I will add two things to consider:

1) It depends on your digital library and the quality of its tagging (i.e. metadata). Roon does an amazing job with discovery and indexing a library that, maybe, is not tagged real well. Or is a library that is not supported well with MPD (e.g. AIFF, WAVE or MP3/AAC/FLAC files with which MPD/Manic Moose struggles, like multi-disc albums ... I could go on-and-on, here; many of the issues I've found over the years with Manic Moose have been fixed, and many have not).

2) You like to use room correction and/or DSP functions, like convolution or pEQ. Personally speaking, I've played around with the open source convolution filters for my collection of headphones - some really sound nice, others I don't care for; think: Sonarworks, but integrated into Roon's DSP processing before being sent to your BDP/DAC (and at zero cost).

I will parrot an earlier comment that at the start of things with Roon, MPD sounded noticeably superior. At some point, Bryston integrated an updated RAAT and that was fixed (IMO). Now, I am not sure I could hear a difference, assuming all Roon DSP is disabled.

As always, YMMV.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2019, 05:53 am »
Roon offers me another ability... I can use one program (Roon) to control many different players. Roon can control my BDP-2, but it can also send music to my Sonos players. This results in needing just one program to control (for me) any audio device in my home that any family member might use.