Acoustic Sounds Buys Classic Records...

Sonny

Acoustic Sounds Buys Classic Records...
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:29 pm »
So, Acousticsounds buys Classic Records...
I don't know if this is good news...but this limits the distribution of the classic record titles to just Acousticsounds...and lately they've been climbing in prices.  So, I don't think this is a good thing for conusumers, however, Acousticsounds does a good job of reissues...
http://store.acousticsounds.com/classicrecords?store=acousticsounds&keywords=NL072610

T

Berndt

Re: Acoustic Sounds Buys Classic Records...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:44 pm »
from 50$ to 75$ for the single sided 45's.
You can still get some of these from the music.com
http://www.themusic.com/classic/

for the original price, when they are gone you pay Chad the $$$.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm »
Yes - I just read my E-Mail a bit ago.  The economy and the shrinking of high end audio in general is leading to more limited choices for consumers in many areas.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:55 pm »
So, Acousticsounds buys Classic Records...I don't know if this is good news...but this limits the distribution of the classic record titles to just Acousticsounds...and lately they've been climbing in prices.  So, I don't think this is a good thing for conusumers, however,

I consider this a huge negative.  Shortly after Acoustic Sounds announced that they were the sole US distributor for Classic Records titles the prices were jacked up...way up in some cases.  This brings no value whatsoever to audiophiles.  One of the big complaints that I had about Classic Records is the poor quality control.  If Acoustic Sounds can turn that around then it would be a plus...but at what cost to customers?  I was going to buy one of the Clarity Vinyl titles until the price went from $50 to $149.  So I decided to forget it.  There aren't many vintage jazz pressings in mint condition that I would pay that kind of money for, and I sure as hell ain't gonna pay blood money for a reissue.

I agree that Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds audiophile label) has done a good job overall.  They had some spotty quality as well but things have improved considerably. 

--Jerome

Sonny

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:59 pm »

I agree that Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds audiophile label) has done a good job overall.  They had some spotty quality as well but things have improved considerably. 

--Jerome

Jerome,
yes, AP is spotty, I bought the Poll Winners from Music Direct and the first LP (Side 1 &2) was warped.  Emailed MD and they said since I bought many LPs, they would grant me one replacement...and I have to pay for shipping...I am thinking to my self, "one replacement" for a defective LP?  And I have to pay shipping????  Don't know if it's worth it!!!

T

jazzcourier

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2010, 02:30 am »
Music Direct was definitely on my "no buy list",they simply want you to accept what they send you and that is that.I am not quite sure what the distributor to retailer return percentage is nowadays,but it used to be 10% defective return for credit,after that you just eat it.
         When you start talking "blood money" take a stroll over to Jazzcollector.com and follow his rather perverse habit of tracking big ticket items on Ebay,such as the Lee Morgan "Indeed" that just sold for over 1800 recession dollars.I will bet you that one is leaving the country.
         When you start to see newly minted lp's going for 35 bucks on up and up it only inspires me to continue the quest for vinyl in the darker regions of the Goodwill and swap meets.On a good day,when the stars are aligned and the light breeze of good luck rattles through my membranes that 35 $ will score 35 mint classical records untouched for years.My Japanese copy of the Morgan Blue Note looks and sounds like the real thing.

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:00 am »
Almost all of the vinyl at Goodwill is crap and the swap meet guys are getting wise to the internet.  For the most part, the days of good clean used vinyl that is reasonably priced is almost over.  It's supply and demand.  When people started paying three and four figures for single albums, it was game over.  Now every idiot with a crappy copy of Boston's Dont Look Back wants 30 bucks for it.

I liked it better in the 80s' when people thought you were nuts for still having a turntable!   Lots of great deals then.  Today, not so much.