Marketing 101

sfraser

Re: Marketing 101
« Reply #100 on: 25 Feb 2021, 09:22 pm »
Sounds as sweet as maple syrup! Sorry .....tis the season...or soon will be.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 26 Feb 2021, 05:59 pm »
How about - 'Exceeding Expectations'

james

gbaby

« Reply #102 on: 26 Feb 2021, 10:41 pm »
Not bad James.

gbaby

« Reply #103 on: 26 Feb 2021, 10:42 pm »
But what about "Bryston-The Audible Difference."

mv038856

« Reply #104 on: 7 Mar 2021, 01:47 pm »
What about „Engineered for Perfection“ or „Engineering instead of Woodoo“ as I see engineering at the heart of the Bryston brand and as something that cannot be taken for granted in the industry nowadays. Or something like „Music, engineered for perfection“ to connect the purpose (music) and the means (the equipment).

Or more emotional: „Passion you can hear, feel and see“ for the combination of sonic qualities and the engineering/built quality.

Don‘t know if any of those slogans have been taken already, though.

Just a few thoughts on a sunny Sunday afternoon...

Cheers!

Markus

thorman

« Reply #105 on: 7 Mar 2021, 04:19 pm »
  How about " Designed by Ear " not by Eyes !

Jetpro67

« Reply #106 on: 28 May 2021, 02:13 am »
Bryston a Legacy of Listening

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #107 on: 28 May 2021, 12:41 pm »
  Bryston, the Sound  of Truth.

cheater

« Reply #108 on: 30 May 2021, 09:15 am »
Hi James,
believe it or not I've ran some really good marketing campaigns in my time.

There are two ways to find a good slogan for your company that I know of.

A. The first way is through identifying the qualities of your brand.

B. The second way is by listening to what your target audience likes to call you or say about you.

Then the question is what you want to do with this information. Do you want to build a household brand? Do you want to build a connection with prospective customers? Do you want to build market awareness?

---

Let's look at A first. You want to figure out why people are buying your brand. Then, you talk to them and try to solicit personal stories that have to do with these qualities. For example, if I understand your brand's placement in the market correctly, the following qualities of Bryston matter to people:

1. Bryston is a standard of quality. You will find it in many places where quality is paramount - recording, mixing, and mastering studios. Working musicians who don't want outages. Mastering engineers who want the most appropriate reproduction. It's not flashy, it won't make your head spin - it's quality like an old nut cracker.

2. Bryston is so good, there isn't really a reason to go up any more. The amazing distortion, noise, and headroom figures mean that you can take a Bryston amp and it will be extremely competent in any situation. You buy Bryston and then you don't have to upgrade any more - you're done. You can, there's always some way to slightly upgrade here and there, but you don't really have a good reason to.

3. Bryston is made to work for 20 years. It's made to never break, and if it does, then that's rare.

4. Bryston repairs are very generous. The company cares about its customers, and you clearly cultivate a great and personal relationship with them.

You'd also want to ascertain if there are any others people are interested in. Once you're done gathering this sort of information, you'd take these qualities, and just start talking about them. Have people describe them in their own words, and how they relate to their use of Bryston equipment. Listen to them carefully - during phone calls and the like - and write things down in transcripts. Review the transcripts periodically. Somewhere in there, one phrase will show up that will resonate with you quite well. For example, in what I wrote above, "A Standard of Quality" is one such phrase. I think this describes Bryston really well and makes it patently obvious what you guys are aiming to do with the brand.

Let's talk about B. To recap, it's: "listening to what your target audience likes to call you or say about you". Often, brands will get nicknames, or people will make memes about them. One time I heard about a guy who bought a crappy beaten down Bryston on eBay that was completely broken for $500, sent it off to you guys, and got it back in perfect condition for pretty much free. I don't know if people have nicknames for Bryston the company. Or maybe the users have pet names for /their/ specific Brystons. The closest I came to that is "those crazy Canadians who use those annoying square screws from Canada and getting a bit for those takes two weeks". But I don't know that people will immediately recognize you for using Robertson screws. (yeah, P. L. Robertson was Canadian). Talk to your audience, see if they have a favourite nickname for their unit. Something cool might come out of that.

I think you did great by coming to the community and asking about slogans and the like. Consider doing the "personal stories" thing, and give it a good effort. Maybe if you hear some really good testimonials, you could even get people in front of a camera, in a really cozy lighting scenario, just have them recount their personal journey towards, and then with, Bryston. I don't think you'll find a more passionate people than high-end Hi Fi enthusiasts, and if someone has something from Bryston, they didn't just walk into a big box store and buy it together with a blender, a microwave oven, and a pallet of energy drinks. They had to arrive at that destination. Maybe it was an epiphany at some point. Maybe it was inherited. Or, like with me, random encounters, spaced out over decades, that led to almost 10 years of hunting for an affordable set. If you can capture this enthusiasm, then it will easily inspire other people who love the same subject. Maybe they'll go and buy Kef KRK instead, but you'll be the ones inspiring them, and that's worth much more than any immediate purchase.

More than anything, I'm sure you'll love to hear about how your users relate to Bryston. That'll probably be a really good reason in itself to do this sort of research.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #109 on: 30 May 2021, 10:50 am »
Thanks Cheater

A very thoughtful and insightful posting - much appreciated.

james

cheater

« Reply #110 on: 30 May 2021, 11:54 am »
You're welcome - if you want any more feedback in that direction, let me know.

NHSkier

« Reply #111 on: 30 May 2021, 08:20 pm »
Bryston everlasting.

spartana

« Reply #112 on: 30 May 2021, 09:19 pm »
I do not have a line to share just wanted to write what made me choose Bryston. Maybe others have similar experiences. Maybe thos can help developping a line.

Why Bryston is different to me?

Well it is not the sound alone. I started Hifi as a hobby when I was still in school in the mid nineties. By coincidence I came across a dealer who sold Naim Audio. He convinced me that a Nait 3 would /should be my thing.

Ever since I owned devices by Naim, Phonosophie, Rega, Acoustic Research, NAD, Almarro, Pure Sound, Valvet, Synthesis, Sony, Marantz, MHDT, PS Audio, Mytek, Thorens, Scheu Analogue, Technics, DynamiKKs, Dynavox, Mutec, E.A.R., ... I am sure I miss some here. All devices were bought new from licensed dealers.

I had my "British" phase, my Tube phase, my Tube & point to point wired phase, my Class A phase, my Analogue only phase, my Vintage Phase.

I can really say that I never had a time where I had to listen to bad quality of sound (considering the spent budget).

What I can say is that I absolutely NEVER will buy anything from small one-man-and-his-soldering-iron brands again. So many "wizards" in Audio business who can surely build nice sounding gear but have absolutely no quality control for their equipment. Almost each of the above brands had issues.

I've had buzzing transformers, input selectors that fell off, overheated housing parts of which glue became liquid, RCA connectors that went loose, burst capacitors, not-itentifiable buzzing or humming noises, defect LEDs three times in a row, ...

I realy cannot stand to spent a lot of money anymore on gear that is anything less than perfect concerning it's built quality.

It may sound as if I do not enjoy Bryston's sound quality. I definitely do. It's clarity is amazing. But I enjoy nearly as much as the sound that I press one button on my remote every time I feel like it, then hear some noise from some relay(s), then after 20 second have my whole system switches on and just can listen to music. It works all the time, makes no "stupid" unwanted things. It works like "clockwork". It is not a toy it is professional quality.

Concerning a line for an ad: I prefer something short. There was a tool company once that had a simple line that I found pretty cool - "Work. Don't play."

Something in that direction would fit from my perspective for Bryston as well. This is a brand I recommend to people who do not want to mess around anymore. For whom the "time of playing games" is over. Who are prepared to do an investment in something lasting. Who do not want to change for the next best "review winner" again.

One more remark: in my Vintage phase I owned an amp that back then was already 35 years old. I worked and sounded just perfect. After 35 (!) Years. It was a sansui AU9500. This is also what I expect from my Bryston.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2021, 02:46 am by spartana »

Clive197

« Reply #113 on: 2 Jun 2021, 10:25 am »
Less BLING, more BRYSTON

spartana

« Reply #114 on: 3 Jun 2021, 06:08 pm »
Rock solid. Crystal clear.

spartana

« Reply #115 on: 3 Jun 2021, 06:51 pm »
Also like the 'built to last' statement from some days ago.

veloceleste

« Reply #116 on: 15 Jun 2021, 12:41 pm »
Faithful to the Source.

G E

« Reply #117 on: 15 Jun 2021, 10:09 pm »

"Bryston: Music beyond your dreams"
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2021, 03:34 am by G E »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough