Synchro-Mesh

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
Synchro-Mesh
« on: 8 Dec 2013, 07:00 pm »
I Just ordered a Synchro-Mesh reclocker from Steve. After reading all the great reviews especially how well it jells with a Sonos system & external DAC (CAL Alpha tube) I figured it was time to see (hear) for myself. I'm very pleased with how my system sounds now but there's always ways to raise things up a notch or two without having to remortgage the house. I eagerly await it's arrival to give it a workout.

trueaudiophile

Re: Synchro-Mesh
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2013, 03:40 am »
You can rest assured, you can't go wrong with Empirical Audio products in any configuration!  I speak from experience. :D

Thanks

Tom P

christmclean

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2014, 03:51 pm »
I am also looking forward to trying the synchro-mesh with sonos and north star designs 192 DAC. I have been pretty happy with the sound but better is always better. I was hoping to utilized the i2s input on the DAC but the synchro-mesh does not have this and the OR 5 only has USB input. Any help on the best product for my use would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2014, 06:41 pm »
Synchro-Mesh is the cheaper and simpler upgrade to go with, and particularly good with the Dynamo supply and BNC-BNC cable with adapters.

If you are ready to go with computer audio, then the Off-Ramp 5 with the HDMI Hynes reg upgrade and an I2S cable from Revelation will perform even better.  You will also need a really good USB cable, and the Dynamo upgrade improves things as well.  A lot more expensive, but the results are in line with the additional cost, and you get bit-perfect hi-res file playback.

Steve N.

Briefremarks

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2015, 03:41 pm »
This is a simple question.  Can the Synchro-Mesh also be used to convert Toslink to SPDIF?  In other words select the Toslink as input and use the SPDIF as output?  Thanks in advance for any information.

Janke

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2015, 06:06 pm »
Yes, for shure. I do, with very good result.

I use it for for my TV (stereo) sound while the cable-TV box only has toslink out.
Add Steves 75 ohm cable and you will experience a big improvement.
Even greater with the Dynamo power supply if you can afford.

Regards
Janke

Briefremarks

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2015, 06:14 am »
Janke,

Thanks very much.  Here is the setup I have in mind. 

Oppo SPDIF output to SM input, also cable box TosLink output to SM input.  Then be able to send SM SPDIF output to Overdrive DAC (older version). I'd like to then be able to select between the Oppo and cable box as needed.

I have a separate laptop for playing WAV files using the Overdrive USB input.

Should I get the OTL output option if I am using the Overdrive DAC?

Thanks again for any input on this.

path73

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2015, 10:24 am »
I use a similar setup but with a different DAC.
SynchroMesh can conveniently toggle between 2 inputs (optical and coax) and output both formats at the same time.

The only issue I had is with lip sync when using TosLink output from my cable box (no delay compensation available).
When going optical (or HDMI) from cable box to TV, and using optical out of TV into SynchroMesh, lip sync is good but there must be some badly implemented resampling going on in my TV which audibly degrades the sound.
So I inserted a digital audio delay box (DigiTools Kramer) between my cable box and SynchroMesh and all is well. It has 4 channels input (2 optical and 2 coax) with independently setable delays and acts as a digital switch box as well (with simultaneous optical and coax outputs). It adds significant jitter to the signal but when using the SynchroMesh downstream this is not an issue.

Happy listening of any digital source through the SynchroMesh, an absolute no-brainer for me (especially with Dynamo power supply and Steve's coax),
/path