Review: Skylan stands - custom made 24" 4-post column

Fife12

Here is my first ever product review so please bear with me.

I finally received my custom-made stands from Noel at Skylan Stands.

I had him custom make a pair of 24" - 4 post column stands for my B&W Matrix speakers.

Click here for a few more pictures
The stands arrived in a huge box packed VERY securely.
I was too eager to take a picture of the contents so I will tell you what is included:
    Top plates (custom made size)
    Bottom plates
    8 polymer columns
    8 steel threaded rods
    8 spiked feet
    8 non-spiked feet (for hardwood floors)
    8 washers
    8 acorn nuts
    wrench (for tightening acorn nuts)
    instruction manual
    [/list:u]

Assembly
It took a little longer than expected due to the filling of sand. Lots and lots of sand. I bought 2 bags of 55lbs play sand from Home depot and I will need to go back for a little more. Both bags were used up completely and as you can guess, they weight in at about 70lbs filled each!  :o

My top plate measures 10Wx8D and is rotated due to the design of my speakers.
Most people tend to use bluetack...or vibrapods to isolate the speaker from the top plate. Instead, Noel uses some type of ceramic rounds discs which seem to better the bluetack and granite slabs I used for my speakers before.

The addition of nail-like spikes PLUS floor saving feet gives you a few options.
I chose to use the regular spikes and 8 cent floor saver tweak.

Sound
I must agree with others that stands DO make a difference. I was previously using an old 2-post Lovan stands (blah) and then most recently Matrix 1 stands mass loaded with granite slabs.
My Skylan stands brought out music that was more focused and clean, a higher/wider soundstage, and my bass seemed to tighten up and go lower.
The music I heard last night was so enjoyable that I left on my system for 6 hours before finally sleeping. I am sure i will get a complaint from the neighbors.   :lol:
My other holygrail of stands would be from Sound Anchor as they are very high quality; however they are more on the expensive side. I do have SA stands and these seem to work better for my current application. Also, these stands allow for easy dis-assemble for moving and packing ONCE the sand is removed.

Skylan also makes isolation platforms, component shelves and his newly designed ceramic feet (called Magic Mushrooms) as well.

I am truly :D  with my purchase and I think I got much more for the money I spent.

Did I say they look nice too?

WEEZ

« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2004, 08:59 pm »
Yup- Skylan makes great stands.

Mine were sized for my TSM's and not only sound great but look fine too.

A great buy in today's market...

WEEZ

Val

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2004, 11:16 am »
Love those B&W 805 Matrix speakers, better than the newer 805 Nautilus in my opinion!