Soldering Iron recommendations

DeeJayBump

Soldering Iron recommendations
« on: 27 Aug 2019, 12:19 am »
About to start a deeper journey into Danny's creation(s) with a pair of Wedgies from our friends up north, and I need a good soldering iron/station for the assembly + upgrades and the like.

Don't really know a price range for a good iron but I'm guessing $100-ish should be a good start. I can always upgrade to better iron or soldering station in the future if the need arises. I'm open to suggestions both for the iron and for what tip(s) are ideal for crossover assembly and upgrades and drivers, etc.

Forgot to add that I might also need it for stuff like Folsom's chip-amps, so keep that in mind WRT tips.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Soldering Iron recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2019, 01:31 am »
I use a Hakko FX888D digital soldering station. It is right at $100 on Amazon. The tips are interchangeable so you can easily work on larger soldering tasks like point to point wiring and PCB work. It heats up pretty fast and is able to handle multiple joints in quick succession without dropping temperature. I’ve had other irons but like this one the best.

Mike

DeeJayBump

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2019, 01:52 am »
Thanks, Mike.

Any other tips you recommend for the Hakko?

jeffwhetstone

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2019, 02:40 am »
Hey Scott.    I've used the Hakko suggested by Mike in my lab at work.     It's a very nice rig for the price, but depending on how deep you want to get into the hobby it could be more than you need.     At home I've just been using a Aoyue 469, available on Amazon for $30.    The temp control is not digital, but it's stable and covers a wide range of temperatures.   Plenty of tip sizes available.      I've used it on everything from automotive wiring, speakers, crossovers (with stock tip), to tiny surface mount ICs (with smaller tip).

Now of course, I'm slightly embarrassed trying to down sell you on a tool, but hell, less $ on tools is more to spend on other gear.  :D

Jeff

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:00 am »

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2019, 08:37 am by FullRangeMan »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:01 am »
Thanks, Mike.

Any other tips you recommend for the Hakko?

Scott,

I don’t recall the item numbers on the tips I bought. There are some combo packs on Hakko’s website with different sizes and styles. I got about 6 or 8 different types. I find the flat/chisel style tips the most useful. Smaller ones on point to point wiring like crossover connections or a couple tube amps I’ve built and bigger ones for binding post terminals. Folks with more PCB experience than I have can give better suggestions on tips for that use.

Mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:06 am »
I use a Hakko.

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:32 am »
Using the same Hakko  up here as well.   searched around  a bit   and  found it to   be among the best  for  performance/features   for the  cost.
We use  a  few differnt   tips as well.  a small chisel as well as a  couple different  pencil tips.

If you  dig around a bit, there  are a few  good  iron reviews on google

A buddy   has  an inductive  unit that is   cool, it'll solder up a   full banna with a  large  gauge  wire in  like  a second...    then you  can pcik the  stuff up and it's  cold  .... until you  actually touch the  joint !!
Way  too much for  general hobby  use but still  really  cool

jay

DeeJayBump

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:53 am »
Thanks for all the replies so far, folks.

jeff- for a number of years I've wanted to dive into more DIY and other projects/builds [Bottleheads, gilmore dynalos, chip-amps, etc] and have used not having a decent iron as an excuse to keep putting those off into the future. Since I'm jumping in with Wedgies (then servo subs, then probably NX-Oticas/NX-Tremes, and possibly Line-Forces) as well as cap/inductor-rolling and chip-amp builds and building other components, I might as well get something like the Hakko now to have a soldering setup that will meet all of my potential project meeds for some time to come.

Danny Richie

orientalexpress

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2019, 03:56 pm »
I use Stahl from part express.been using the same one for the last 8 year,only cost 30.00 ,never let me down.

AKLegal

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2019, 05:42 pm »
I use a Hakko too. 

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2019, 02:00 am »
Hakko here. The tips last a long time.

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2019, 03:05 am »
 I have several solder stations. None can best my Weller 550D “gun”. Get it hot and get off of it is a decent technique. I may purchase a “cold” process system so that I may have an opportunity to try something different.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2019, 10:53 am »
I have an small size Hikari 220V 40W and two king size Éner 110V 70W from the 1970 and 80s, the Éner are so robust one day I use it in the 220V outlet and it dont broke the filament, they continue serve me well.

emailtim

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2019, 05:02 pm »
I have a Weller WESD51 which has worked well for many years.  This one seems to have been replaced by newer models.

Nick77

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2019, 05:21 pm »
https://www.parts-express.com/stahl-tools-tcss-temp-controlled-soldering-iron-station-esd-safe--374-200

I dont think you would need to spend more than $60, plus coupons always floating around.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer

emailtim

« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2019, 04:03 am »
I suggest avoid the pen style solders, prefer the gun solder stations:

Why do you prefer guns over pens ?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2019, 04:15 am »
No any gun, it should be a gun with solder holder to hands free.