Von Schweikert VR-1 or LCR-15?

Chuck

« on: 7 Jun 2004, 01:53 pm »
While researching bookshelf speakers I came across a good review of the Von Schweikert VR 1's.  I do not have a local dealer.  I called Von Schweikert and spoke to a sales rep.  He said the LCR 15's were much better.  Deeper, more articulate bass, more detailed mids, better imaging, etc.  

Does anyone have experience with these speakers?  Has anyone A-B'd these two models?  Is this a good company?

8thnerve

Re: Von Schweikert VR-1 or LCR-15?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2004, 03:07 pm »
Quote from: Chuck
While researching bookshelf speakers I came across a good review of the Von Schweikert VR 1's.  I do not have a local dealer.  I called Von Schweikert and spoke to a sales rep.  He said the LCR 15's were much better.  Deeper, more articulate bass, more detailed mids, better imaging, etc.  

Does anyone have experience with these speakers?  Has anyone A-B'd these two models?  Is this a good company?

I am a Von Schweikert dealer but since this question is just the differences between the two, I don't think there is any conflict.  The short answer is that they are different, and you should listen to see what works best for you.

The LCR-15 goes lower, as it is a 2.5 way.  There is a magic to the VR-1 though that I don't think is matched by the LCR-15.  The VR-1 is a true monitor, and is best for the person looking for those qualities, open and clear midrange and treble, incredible imaging, etc.  The LCR-15, while still giving you 98% of the mids and highs of the VR-1s, sacrifices that last 2% of clarity for more bass, and is therefore more suited for someone looking for a smaller or less expensive floorstander.  I have put both in studios here in Nashville, and none of them have ever looked back, so you'll probably be very happy with whichever you choose.  So if more bass is important, go with the LCR-15, if not, go with the VR-1s.

Hope that helps.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2004, 03:16 pm »
I don't know about the LCR but I noticed the VR-1 needs a wide room to image properly.  Wide meaning over 15' if possible.  I've heard them in 3 rooms, imaging got better as the room got wider.  In my room, at about 11' wide and 13' deep, didn't image well and they were a little too lively for that room.  Same speakers, wide room, awesome.  This is probably true for any speaker but, I found the VR's especially good in a wider room.

Chuck

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2004, 12:24 pm »
Thank you.  I ordered the LCR 15.  Hope to have it by next week.