Hot Rod Candela

aaron.luebke

Hot Rod Candela
« on: 9 May 2011, 04:32 pm »
I've entertained myself by going back in time and reading through some of the old posts. 

Found a reference to a "hot rodded" Candela - anyone know what this would bring to a standard Candela?

Alex?

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Re: Hot Rod Candela
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2011, 01:56 pm »
Aaron,

Officially there is no "hot rodded" Candela. On occassions customers have requested minor changes to a stock Candela unit like - no HT bypass resulting in four active inputs instead of three, second output, changing the output capacitors to more expensive ones, custom metal work and also requesting a little more output gain, to name a few. In this cases the "hot rodded" name has been given by customers.

As these units are custom handcrafted here in the US we accommodate these requests as long as there are not over the "top"...like dipping caps in real "maple syrup" from Door County (Wisconsin) and then rinsing them with "Crown Royal" for added sweetness to the sound.  :lol:

Thank you.

Alex

aaron.luebke

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2011, 10:35 pm »
I'm kinda relieved to hear that!  Mine sounds absolutely wonderful and to think it could be pushed further with only some maple syrup...(of course from Door county, where else...oh, maybe Maine :o?) would be too much to take.

Thanks!

Aaron

lazydays

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 05:50 pm »
personally I think it's time for a new upgraded version. Certainly more money, but the masses will be there. We need an added phonostage card, and at least one tape loop. Lots of new interests in tape these days. Many folks these days are looking at five inputs or more (four with a tape loop), and every now and then I run into somebody looking for tape one and tape two! So what I'm saying is that I think it's time for a full function preamp with three standard inputs, two isolated inputs for digital equipment and at least one more very isolated input for the phono.

Sometime in the next twelve months I'll be playing my bootleg R2R stuff again, and will be in the hunt for either a Technics or a Tascam deck. Apparently others have the same ideas as the price has almost tripled for a good quality used R2R. On the otherhand I may just deep six all my digital play back stuff for one music server (then I'd be able to open up an input). Anybody want to hear Stan Getze live on stage in 1980? I do!
gary

aaron.luebke

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2011, 12:45 pm »

What output caps do you offer?  Or is it based on customer selection?

Gvt1911

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2011, 07:26 pm »
It seems that Klaus is real busy as I have asked about the 2 button remote for the Candela on a few occasions and YET to get a straight answer. Don't hold your breath on the question of caps. They have a very nice preamp, but I do believe that customer service needs a bit of work. I would think twice about buying another product of theirs (new or preowned). They know that there are many preowned units being sold and the support is just not there IMHO. :cry:

aaron.luebke

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2011, 11:35 pm »
Well, IMHO, the support I get has been stellar.  It's not fast and yes, Klaus is busy and doesn't always give answers, quick or otherwise, but he does take  great pride in his work and has always given me a square deal.

And I look forward to buying more product from him.

What do you need to know about the two button remote??

Aaron
« Last Edit: 15 May 2011, 01:23 am by aaron.luebke »

Gvt1911

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2011, 12:54 am »
I was inquiring about the 2 button remote to replace the universal remote that came with the unit. I do agree that his products are VERY good and I don't think I will ever sell my Candela after installing the Sonicap Platinum bypass caps and some CV4003's. I did request info on the remote directly to Alex and also on another post in this circle. But as usual things got turned around and never got an answer. Hopefully I will hear something from him soon. Glad everyone is happy with his products as I am. :)

aaron.luebke

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2011, 01:19 am »
Did you do both at the same time?

Just wondering which made a bigger difference?  :scratch:

And have you tried ECC802s's?

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2011, 02:55 am »
Well, IMHO, the support I get has been stellar.  It's not fast and yes, Klaus is busy and doesn't always give answers, quick or otherwise, but he does take  great pride in his work and has always given me a square deal.

And I look forward to buying more product from him.

What do you need to know about the two button remote??

Aaron

+1. I don't own any of Klaus' stuff anymore, but when I got a new preamp there was an issue with it and my Stratos amplifiers.

Klaus offered to look at the preamp and the amplifiers to get them to work together correctly. However, it turned out that the used Stratos Monos I had purchased had been modded by someone other then Klaus, and were incorrectly done so.

Klaus gutted my amplifiers and upgraded them for a very fair price, and fairly quickly as well.  :thumb:

Very good customer service.

Wolfman

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2011, 08:20 am »
Another CS complaint coming out of left field. Man,if new complainers only knew..........
Klaus has been at this for decades,he's had time to watch and look over how everyone else handles their biz behind the scenes(I.E. customer service).
He keeps the staffing levels low,because that's the what he thinks works best because he wants one to one direct communication. Klaus and the staffers involved tend to work like mules,because that's how Klaus is naturally,I.E. a workaholic.
Any repair work leapfrogs to the front. Any show or review inevitably means a crapload of new orders. Great,except the same people that answer the phone,travel to Germany for the latest/greatest parts,test and test continually thru the years to offer the great upgrades,repair all the Odyssey gear(some legit,some not without complaint),monitor this forum,etc. are the ones that are expected to answer every email lightning fast and be responsive to every question/idea thrown at them. Klaus offers 1 of only 2 20 year warranties in the biz. He likes small staffing levels. If you don't agree with this,you might think about buying something else. Otherwise,have some(sometimes alot :thumb:) of patience,and Klaus will take very good care of you. He ALWAYS has....
Odyssey/Klaus may not be everyones cup of tea,but they manage to make many more people happy than aren't.
Sorry for the length...
Everyone just hang in there and Klaus WILL get back to you and make you happy. How he manages to make time for his wife and family is beyond me....

dangerbird

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2011, 10:59 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^very well said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  :thumb:

I,too do not own any Odyssey gear,,I sold my mono extremes se's a couple of years ago,,and I must admit that lately I've been thinking of returning to the Odyssey amp camp.When I did have mine,one of the binding posts was damaged in shipment,,Klaus took care of it quickly,,and,,I received no less than 2-3 followup phone calls(from Klaus),over a period of a year. Those guys work their a$$ off--kudos to the entire Odyssey crew.  :thumb:

Gvt1911

« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2011, 01:11 pm »
I am glad so many people are pleased with Klaus and Odyssey Audio. I just wanted to point out that a simple man asked a simple question about a simple remote and never got a reply. I am pleased with the Candela with the Platinum bypass caps and the CV4003's. It is only bested by my Dodd MLP with V caps and Tele's. I will call Klaus directly to get my answer. This is what I should have done. Hurt me, beat me, make me write bad checks! :lol:
I thank everyone for their supporting comments. :thumb:

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2011, 03:17 pm »
Joe (Gvt911),

I just read your PM of 5-12-11 regarding your query. I try to keep up with PM's as fast as I can but sometimes a couple or more days may lapse especially when I am out of town.

If I got you correctly the universal remote you have is the SL one that normally is extra. Klaus will send them at no additional cost when we are out of regular ones. We do not have a straight two button unit. The standard one we use while only uses two buttons (volume up and down), you can cut off (shave off) the remaining ones with a blade knife...leaving only two buttons.  :icon_lol:

I am glad you like your Candela preamp.  :thumb:

Thank you,

Alex

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2011, 02:35 pm »
Alex, hello !

Tell me please, if I look for a  Candela upgrade, a good yet not so expensive update

What would you reecommend us to ? A friend is asking something like this and I would apprecciate your advise.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2011, 06:00 pm »

If you'd like some ideas??  :roll:

Open chassis above the tube sockets and raise the board so I can swap tubes in and out.  I would like to use the pair of E80CC's I have but they are about as tall as an EL84 (look exactly like them also) and those boys don't even come close to fitting.

Cap options.  Believe me I'm not complaining about the sound - I love it!  But that would be cool.

Options for inputs??  I consider those just that - options - and not part of a newer better pre.  As was mentioned - just let Alex know what you need.

Anyone else?

Wolfman

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2011, 09:05 am »
Excellent!!!!!
I was afraid that my post would cause a lot of arguement,I don't have time to visit and read this great forum any where near what I'd like to.
I'm soooo happy that the Alex made time to respond!

Klaus will sometimes be slow to directly respond. It's not out of unwillingness,he sets ferocious business and QC targets for himself and everyone working for him.

He has put together an absolutely amazing team currently,still a man or two down compared to the industry norm as far as staffing/sales concerns,but like I said previously,workaholics and Darn Good Guys!!!!!!

There will be mistakes. There will be people unsatisfied. It's audio,is anyone at this price range with German parts/American assembly or any other multi Country complation perfect?????
Odyssey is not about the best,but,best for the money.
There's 200 million opinions out there,find your own.
There's many,many good brands out there,experiment,that's the fun/frustration of this hobby!!!!
Good luck and Good Listening!! :D

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2011, 02:47 pm »
Eduardo,

Alex, hello !

Tell me please, if I look for a  Candela upgrade, a good yet not so expensive update

What would you reecommend us to ? A friend is asking something like this and I would apprecciate your advise.

There is no much you can change on the mighty Candela. In stock form is very much up there playing superb notes based on the current circuit topology. We use Sonicaps for the output as we found they are very good. Some people have changed them to their preference. I personally don't think makes for a dramatic improvement - perhaps only a slight change in the "character" of the presentation.

One component that will perhaps improve the overall sound and assuming the rest of the setup (equipment) is up to par, would be NOS tubes. We cannot put fancy (NOS) tubes because you cannot find them in large batches. For production purposes I stick with currently available manufactured tubes.

I personally like and use RCA clear tops and Mullard (CV4003). There are others in my opinion way over priced and a complete rip off!

Thank you.

Alex

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2011, 08:03 pm »
Hello dear Alex,

Wonder what ? I just figured it, just as you say it, the Candela is so strong in all aspects, when customer asked me this I looked  at interior pictures and confirmed after inspection that there is not really much to do, you supply Candela with a very nice group of fine parts. Other than tube rolling it is a solid,  very solid product with no deficiencies at whatever section we look inside.

Thanks

Eduardo,

There is no much you can change on the mighty Candela. In stock form is very much up there playing superb notes based on the current circuit topology. We use Sonicaps for the output as we found they are very good. Some people have changed them to their preference. I personally don't think makes for a dramatic improvement - perhaps only a slight change in the "character" of the presentation.

One component that will perhaps improve the overall sound and assuming the rest of the setup (equipment) is up to par, would be NOS tubes. We cannot put fancy (NOS) tubes because you cannot find them in large batches. For production purposes I stick with currently available manufactured tubes.

I personally like and use RCA clear tops and Mullard (CV4003). There are others in my opinion way over priced and a complete rip off!

Thank you.

Alex