The Three Pickers

mojoman

The Three Pickers
« on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:10 pm »
The Three Pickers is a dvd concert film featuring Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs and Ricky Scaggs.  I picked it up last night and if you're at all into old time/bluegrass music you should check this one out.  The musicianship is outstanding.  It's hard to believe that Doc can still pick like that at 80 years old!  I recommend this one highly.

On the back cover it says that this concert was recorded in North Carolina.  As I was watching I was trying to figure out what venue.  The hall looked familiar but I couldn't quite place it. I had skipped the introduction part of the film where they probably mention the venue and went straight to the concert.  When the credits rolled I found out it was recorded at R.J. Reynolds auditorium in Winston-Salem, NC.  Then I new why the hall looked familiar, that's where I went to high school 30 years ago.  I've performed on that stage.   As you can see, it takes little to excite me these days.  Kewl.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
The Three Pickers
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2003, 05:41 pm »
Ahhhh...one of my favorites experiences - a string band. There is nothing like an acoustic mix of strings. That includes chamber music as well. And very portable as well. No electronics required.

Doc is amazing. I hope I can play as I do now, when I am older. I love Ricky Scaggs' voice and of course his mandolin and other playing. He has a very pleasant attitude and the skills to back it up! Earl Scruggs is amazing to and he is really not famous for his excellent guitar playing. This will definitely be checked out by me.

So what did you perform on this stage?

mojoman

The Three Pickers
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2003, 08:49 pm »
Quote from: jqp

So what did you perform on this stage?

Mostly high school symphony and big band jazz.  I played trombone.  Every year we had a big talent show and a couple of years I played guitar in a acoustic rock band.  I read that they just spent several million restoring the auditorium.  Looks like it's a great venue, it always did have good sound.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
The Three Pickers
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2003, 03:56 pm »
That's a great experience I'm sure. Do you have any recordings of your acoustic rock band?

mojoman

The Three Pickers
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2003, 04:30 pm »
Quote from: jqp
That's a great experience I'm sure. Do you have any recordings of your acoustic rock band?

No, I wish that I did.  A couple a months ago I was on a nostalgia kick and tried to contact the old band mates.  I haven't spoken to these guys in something like 20 years.  Using google I was able to track 'em all down and had a good time for a couple of days talking with them.  We all had the same question, does anyone have any of the old tapes?  Unfortunately no.

I heard that Ricky Skaggs new cd is also called the Three Pickers with Doc and Earl.  Wasn't clear if it was from that concert or additional studio material.  I'll be picking that one up when I find it.