Getting the best sound from Oppo player

sac8d4

Re: Getting the best sound from Oppo player
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2007, 09:42 pm »
I would think your optimal connection for DVD/2 channel audio would be utilizing Oppo's Front L/R analog outputs (not mixed), configure the audio speaker sub-menu: downmix mode to LT/RT output and Speaker settings: Front and Right speakers set to ‘Large’ (Center, Subwoofer, and Surrounds set to ‘Off’). Setting it up in this manner would downmix your Dolby encoded discs to 2.0 only
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2007, 02:48 am by sac8d4 »

Toka

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2007, 10:36 pm »
Ah, didn't know I could downmix to the L/R channels...thanks!  :thumb:

sac8d4

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2007, 02:44 am »
sorry for the confusion, however i re-read your question and i might have confused what you were asking, let me attempt to clarify this in another manner...  Left/Right channels only. this mode is intended for 2 channel Dolby Pro Logic processors. If the content is encoded with Dolby pro Logic then the encoded audio will be passed to the processor for the Dolby Pro Logic processing. For stereo content the output would be stereo. For multi-channel content (5.1/7.1) only the Left and Right front channels will be reproduced....Stereo- This mode down-mixes decoded multi-channel (5.1/7.1) audio to 2 channel stereo output. For Stereo content the output to be Stereo. For Multi-Channel content the center and surrounds channels will be mixed with the front left and right channels.

Toka

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2007, 03:32 pm »
I think I got it...just to clarify:

I will be sending the signal for both music and movies to a stereo preamp/stereo speakers (2.0 only). To get the best playback for both, I should use the 'mixed' outputs and set it to 'stereo' in the settings? If I read you correctly, using the standard L/R outputs for movies encoded in 5.1 only would cut out some information. Seems like if I were just using it for music this method would be ok. Sorry for being so dense!  :duh:

Thanks again for the help.  8)

atua48

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2007, 05:00 am »
Hi Guys
I have got OPPO player for about 3 months now and quiet happy with it nevertheless a few issues I would like to post here.
First I would like to mention that I have a active setup using DEQX crossover and it does support 96KHZ signal it actually show on the menu what signal is receiving initially I thought that the LPCM rate on the OPPO player could be change like up sampling rate convector but it does not only thought HDMI which I can’t comment as I don’t have setup for it. Nevertheless when changing to PCM 48, 96,192KHZ it does not have any effects and it does show (DEQX) that receiving at 48KHZ only on all 3 option.
Other think that I would like to mention is that when playing CD’s set to RAW it does work fine. When using SACD it does work fine but it does cut the volume down to about half compare to the digital out which is a little bit of problem as I’m using 4 monoblocks single ended tube rate at 20Wats a channel. The same apply for DVD – Video playback as it automatically changes to PCM (of course) from Raw so I have again less volume to play with. Anyone has found this sort of problem? Provably not as you guys using more powerful amps. The option for me as suggested is to use a buffer stage from burson audio
That could fix the analog out only for SACD playback any thoughts?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2007, 07:01 am »
. Nevertheless when changing to PCM 48, 96,192KHZ it does not have any effects and it does show (DEQX) that receiving at 48KHZ only on all 3 option.

This is correct.  Oppo does not do sample rate conversion (i.e. 44kHz to 96kHz), but it only set for the highest supported bit-rate, only useful with DVD-Audio and LPCM DVD soundtrack (Music recorded on DVD-Video).

atua48

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2007, 10:31 pm »
If it converts SACD to PCM internally first, then this could be out-putted to a DIY connector, yes?

STEF

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2007, 12:47 pm »
Anyone already tested the output 2 ch sound quality (for CD/SCAD) of the new Oppo DV-980H ?

In Europe, it's not possible to have 970 as it is not CE certified.

Regards.

Stef

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2007, 01:06 pm »
It is better than 970HD.  Our Casey provided a little helping hand in tweaking the sound.
You can probably buy it online somewhere, even if it is not CE certified  :wink:

Levi

« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2007, 02:03 pm »
Has anyone tried the new Oppo?

timothyharnett

« Reply #30 on: 31 Aug 2007, 08:38 pm »
It is better than 970HD.  Our Casey provided a little helping hand in tweaking the sound.
You can probably buy it online somewhere, even if it is not CE certified  :wink:

I bought mine direct from www.oppodigital.com .  They ship internationally.  For me the total price including duty was roughly £140-£150.

Good sound.  Bit soft in the bass compared to more expensive players but definitely worth the money.

STEF

« Reply #31 on: 4 Sep 2007, 07:17 am »
Our Casey provided a little helping hand in tweaking the sound.

Where is the post ?

Regards.

Stef

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 6 Sep 2007, 01:24 am »
Hi,
The new Oppo 980H exceeds the performance of 970HD by all account, and also exceeded the audio performance of 981HD.  980H also has a full size IEC socket so the power cord can be upgraded.

There are special circuit and audio-grade Opamps used in 980H.  The audio grade capacitors are specially custom ordered from Japan for its good sound.   We help Oppo fine-tuned the circuit and advice some layout change to further improve the sonic.   Oppo also enlisted another major audio equipment supplier for advice (whom they prefer to remain anonymous).

However, to get the best audio performance, go into the Setup and disable HDMI Audio.  This seems to be universally applicable to all HDMI-based DVD players,  (not just Oppo), by disabling the HDMI audio out the audio quality can be slightly improved.

« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2007, 09:20 am by nuforce-casey »

Toka

« Reply #33 on: 6 Sep 2007, 02:30 am »
Hi,
The new Oppo 980H exceeds the performance of 970HD by all account, and also exceeded the audio performance of 983HD.  980H also has a full size IEC socket so the power cord can be upgraded.

There are special circuit and audio-grade Opamps used in 980H.  The audio grade capacitors are specially custom ordered from Japan for its good sound.   We help Oppo fine-tuned the circuit and advice some layout change to further improve the sonic.   Oppo also enlisted another major audio equipment supplier for advice (whom they prefer to remain anonymous).

However, to get the best audio performance, go into the Setup and disable HDMI Audio.  This seems to be universally applicable to all HDMI-based DVD players,  (not just Oppo), by disabling the HDMI audio out the audio quality can be slightly improved.

Casey,

Thank you for the info! What are your thoughts on the some of the aftermarket modifications offered for the 980 (replacing capacitors and so forth). Is there any reason to do so?

sac8d4

« Reply #34 on: 6 Sep 2007, 02:46 pm »
There are very good gains on modding the oppo's, however i think it comes right down to if someone feels that is worth sinking more money in the oppo in mods than the unit costs. I however am quite interested in doing so and EVS (ric schultz) www.tweakaudio.com , seems to be quite reasonable in price and seems to have the most available mods for oppos and yet keeps the prices very reasonable. One thing to mention as well, oppo has published  that they will continue to recognize the warranty even with modded units   :D
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2007, 02:56 pm by sac8d4 »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 7 Sep 2007, 11:37 pm »
Hi,
In general, the MTK chipset used in Oppo runs off a 26Mhz clock to generate other clocks, hence, modding the Oppo with superclock is of questionable benefit. 

I would go for the type of reasonable mods:

1) Improving the power supply, not just increasing the size of bypass capacitor, but intelligently and strategically use the correct value for optimal speed and punch (bigger and bigger caps, imho, 'slows' down the music).  If the rail voltage can be raised higher to +/- 18V, there should be a tremendous gain from factory +/- 9V.

2) Bypass the opamps with better decoupling capacitors.

2) Upgrade the output DC-blocking capacitors.  There are some good caps out there that is will bring a meaningful change.

3) Minor benefit in upgrading the Opamps, perhaps to THS4032 or similar.

But very importantly, unless done tastefully and tactfully, modding could end up altering the 'musicality' of the Oppo, and defeating the purpose of a 'budget' player.    Before plunging money, look at other high-end CD players such as Rega Apollo/Saturn, Cambridge Audio Azur 840C, Marantz SA11 and SA15.

Woodsea

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2007, 01:09 am »
Thanks for that info, I can't wait to receive my oppo, hopefully it will be released soon!

NealH

« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2007, 01:44 am »
I have one (980H) on order and, look forward to playing it - both video and audio.   It will see double duty, video and audio.  Though it is primarily it's for video duties.   Some minor mods sound like a good idea and, thanks for sharing your ideas Nuforce-Casey.  Good info.   

Toka

« Reply #38 on: 8 Sep 2007, 01:46 am »
Yes...thank you Casey!  :thumb:

sac8d4

« Reply #39 on: 16 Sep 2007, 04:52 pm »
I wanted to share one of the best tweaks,  i have recently done with my oppo 981HD. When i bought my 981, i purchased some Soundcare spike 2 isolation feet, i thought they looked like something that might be OEM and yet they seem to help with isolation. It wasn't until recently after reading about some of the mass loading devices (ex. HRS damping plates and Bright star audio little rock pods) and a review on tnt audio that i considered mass loading. This is a very in depth and well written article. The writer concludes that mass loading benefits electronics with cheap steel stamped chassis the most vs heavily reinforced aluminum chassis. I agree with alot of what the writer of this article has to say about this very topic. Furthermore, mass loading increases the effectiveness of the isolation below the unit cause of the added weight. At the moment i took 2 3lb hand weights( which appear to be metal with a rubberized coating) and placed them on the top of my oppo with most of the weight centralized over the disc tray/pickup mechanism.I plan on purchasing a mass loading device of some kind in the very near future, i also consider them a very worthwhile tweak considering they can be more bang for the buck in terms of performance than a cable upgrade! I must say though i cant believe how much better the unit sounded, Prat improved, micro and macrodynamics increased, instruments seemed more natural and precise throughout the frequency spectrum especially in the lower octaves. Give it a try you wont be disappointed.