Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement

Spatial Audio

Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement
« on: 10 Mar 2019, 02:06 am »
Everyone is asking, so here is a link to the X3 and X5 announcement.

Both models should be ready to show at Axpona 2019. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://clayton-shaw.squarespace.com/new-page

Clayton
Spatial Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2019, 05:50 pm by Spatial Audio »

Birdbrain

Re: Spatial Audio - New X Class Product Announcement
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2019, 02:10 pm »
Thanks for the sneak peak. I'm glad you are making something to bridge the price gap between the M3TM and the X2.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2019, 03:27 pm »
Thanks Birdbrain,

Yeah, it has taken a long time to develop the killer solution for this price range. They are super enjoyable to listen to.

Clayton

Spatial Audio

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2019, 05:58 pm »
Here is the X40 custom midrange driver designed for dipole operation, for use in both the X3 and X5.

Clayton

spotlightaudio

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2019, 06:18 pm »
Can not wait to here these! Will you be at the CAS this year?

TimS

X1 changes?
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2019, 07:05 pm »
Hello Clayton

Slightly OT, but I think I read the discontinued X1 model is having a makeover as well.
Could you give any further information about the changes to the X1?

Thanks

Spatial Audio

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2019, 09:18 pm »
Can not wait to here these! Will you be at the CAS this year?

We may exhibit at CAS. Depends on how busy I am after the Munich show.

Clayton

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2019, 09:37 pm »
ETA to pictures, more info and availability? :popcorn:

Spatial Audio

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:20 pm »
ETA to pictures, more info and availability? :popcorn:

Hey Windchaser,

Getting ready in time for Axpona is tight and therefore getting decent photography done may not happen until afterwards. So, I will probably shoot some iPhone pics if that ends up being the case.

We will be shipping in April because we now have in-house CNC router and cabinet shop, so we don't have to wait for baffles as we did in the past. Here is a pic along with a pic of what will be our main listening room, which is a bit bigger than the room we have been using.

Clayton

Spatial Audio

Re: X1 changes?
« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:50 pm »
Hello Clayton

Slightly OT, but I think I read the discontinued X1 model is having a makeover as well.
Could you give any further information about the changes to the X1?

Thanks

The X1 Uniwave is going into the Mk2 level. Focus is on making it more compact and integrating a 500W Hypex Fusion amp into it, so that they are plug and play like these new X3 & X5 designs. Above 400Hz will be passive analog. It will also incorporate a mind-bending mid/treble driver from Germany. The new HE version of this driver is insanely good, but it takes time to learn how to use it properly:

« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2019, 12:41 am by Spatial Audio »

Ric Schultz

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2019, 02:14 am »
Clayton,
Are you still using the Beyma AMT or is this the ESS AMT or something else?  Your using the word "Heil" gets me thinking its maybe not the Beyma.  Just curious.  My friend was using the Beyma AMT in dipole as his super tweeter and now prefers the ESS in the same application. 

These new speakers have me drooling!  97db, powered woofer and 12 inch midrange and amt!  Oh my God is this gonna rock!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:37 am »
BMS indeed makes tremendous drivers. I use the kissing cousin of the 18n862 which is the 15n850v3 as a midbass. Fantastically dynamic and detailed but pricey ($500 each!).

Have fun Clayton, nice work btw.

Best,
Anand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2019, 06:08 am »
Getting ready in time for Axpona is tight and therefore getting decent photography done may not happen until afterwards. So, I will probably shoot some iPhone pics if that ends up being the case.

Can't wait for the show report. Wish I could attend.

Will there be an option for a servo amp on the bass?

What about the crossover, where does the AMT meet the 12?

That's one clean shop. I need to hire your custodian.  :lol:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2019, 02:52 pm »
Yeah, but if all that stuff was hanging from the ceiling then he'd have even more floor space!!!  :green:

Gene

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2019, 04:23 pm »
X-1  ✔️
X-2  ✔️
X-3  ✔️
X-4  ??
X-5  ✔️

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2019, 07:25 pm »
Clayton, I'd really like to hear the X3, if not at Axpona then in your new listening room in Salt Lake.

The product announcement says substantial improvements in midrange resolution and imaging, and major advances in bass attack and impact.  Are those improvements over the X2?  Based on the next generation X platform description, it kind of does sound like the X3 should surpass the X2, but I must be missing something.

Jeff
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2019, 06:09 pm by Hear Clifford Brown »

Shredder

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2019, 08:50 pm »
I had the same question as Clifford.

I am quite interested in the new X1 as well.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2019, 05:40 pm »
Clayton, I'd really like to hear the X3, if not at Axpona then in your new listening room in Salt Lake.

The product announcement says substantial improvements in midrange resolution and imaging, and major advances in bass attack and impact.  Are those improvements over the X2?  Based on the next generation X platform description, it kind of does sounds like the X3 should surpass the X2, but I must be missing something.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

In the X3/X5 announcement, I was thinking more about improvements over the M3 Series and prototypes I have worked on in the under $10K price category. These are way better. Although, we don't use servo control in this series, the bass performance is pretty shocking compared to the passive bass approach. To answer your question, the new models are an improvement over the X2 for the same reasons in some areas - powered OB woofer and dedicated 12 mid unit. Once you go to powered OB bass, there's no going back. Bruno Putzeys new N-Core DSP bass amp makes it possible to open up a whole new vista for Open Baffle. To implement it along with great drivers and solid construction is a real treat in this price category. I could not be happier with the way these models turned out.

Clayton

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2019, 07:01 pm »
In the X3/X5 announcement, I was thinking more about improvements over the M3 Series and prototypes I have worked on in the under $10K price category. These are way better.

That's good news. I'm sure the new X class models are way better than everything in the X class, but when it comes to controlled directivity, will that exclusive to the X-1 in the X class?

And speaking of the new forthcoming version of the X-1, any idea as to how much it will cost or is it too early to say?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2019, 07:38 pm »
That's good news. I'm sure the new X class models are way better than everything in the X class, but when it comes to controlled directivity, will that exclusive to the X-1 in the X class?

And speaking of the new forthcoming version of the X-1, any idea as to how much it will cost or is it too early to say?

Maybe I don't understand your question - but all the X series products use controlled directivity as a design principle. The X1 being the most extreme way to maximize it.

It is too early to speculate, but I am trying to reduce the price some. I will have to see when all the costing comes in. It would be cool if I could have it ready for the CAS this summer. The prototype sounds crazy good. But a lot of mechanical design work still to be done. Our new R&D area and larger listening room is helping to speed up development of new designs so summer might be possible.

BTW - I added pre-order buttons for X3 and X5 on our webstore. This worked great when the X2 was going into production. That way, a fair system for everyone in line is organized chronologically. The deposit to get in line is $1000 and is refundable.

Clayton
www.spatialaudio.us