Carver amps binding post upgrade

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Carver amps binding post upgrade
« on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:00 pm »
I decided to upgrade my speaker cables and also the binding posts on my (5) Carver TFM-25 power amps.  So purchased five sets of Sure 5-way binding posts from Parts Express; intending to install the new posts into the amps’ existing plastic mounts (after drilling out the old binding posts).       

But after drilling out the original plastic post mounts, there was no metal remaining on the backside of the mounts, only a plastic surface to contact the lock washer/nut on the new binding post.  And I was not comfortable relying on the loose contact between the new post stud and the hole in the old metal tang, so I decided to go another way.   

So I tossed the old plastic mounts and fabricated 1/8” x 1” x 3.75” aluminum mounting plates, threaded at each end for 6-32 mounting screws.  In hindsight, binding posts with soldering pads on the lugs would have worked better in this case but I made it all work in the end and it’s a clean job so I’m happy with it.

And I’m more than happy with my new DIY cross-connected dual Belden coaxial speaker cables with Sewell Silverback bananas.  My old cables used Nakamichi locking bananas, which were a pain to use in tight places because it took both hands to lock or unlock them.  I like the Silverbacks much better.

Details and build photos for the cross connected coax speaker cables can be found here: http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/2007/01/speaker-cables.html

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Carver amps binding post upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2017, 05:19 pm »
Nice work.   :thumb:  Food for thought re: the old connections on my Onkyo integrated I run the garage system with.  8)