Trying to value inherited components Music Collection for a friend

Bill310

Good afternoon,

I am throwing myself to the mercy of your collective expertise on helping me understand what my friend inherited from her father. We are trying to see if any of these components  have any value.

I am a Bryston / PMC owner  and upgrade my system every 20 years or so, and as a result my knowledge of other equipment is not the best.

I have seen the gear and it is all in meticulous condition , some manuals, some original boxes.

1. Sugden A 28 Integrated Stereo Amplifier

2. Accuphase P300 Stereo Power Amplifier

3. Kenwood Audio Denoiser KF 8001

4. Thorens TD 125 Mark 2 Turntable with original Lucite dust cover

5. Sony ST 80F Solid State AM/FM Tuner

6. audiolab  8000A integrated amplifier

In  addition there is a very nice collection of classical, opera and jazz albums going back into the 50's  I am guessing 1500- 2000 albums in total.

Where in Vancouver, BC would someone try and sell that many albums?

Any advice/help is most appreciated

JakeJ

A quick Google returns the following-

Neptoon Records & CD's
3561 Main St, Vancouver, BC

Zulu Records
1972 W 4th Ave, Vancouver, BC

Red Cat Records
4332 Main St, Vancouver, BC

There are more.  Google is your friend.

As to the equipment you can purchase a subscription with http://www.usedprice.com/index.html as this is the source for Audiogon's used prices.  Or you can spend hours researching eBay's closed (expired with a sale) ads and get a good idea.

My search came up with the Sudgen w/ phono board priced at $1995 new, in excellent condition maybe $800-900? Just a guess.

The Accuphase turned up prices from $1000-1200.

You just gotta do some internet sleuthing.

jazzcourier

Before you start casting those records to stores do yourself a favor and go through them and make it a project to research what you have and the value.You can go to DISCOGS or buy a sub to POPSIKE or at least look at EBAY.One record could be worth 1,000.00 or they could all be worth 1.00 each.Also take a look at the GOLDMINE grading guide for records.Condition is important.Good luck,i hope you find some valuable records in this collection.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
In classical, labels to look for are Decca/London, RCA (look up "shaded dog" label), Mercury Living Presence, Columbia (look up "6 eye").  In jazz look for Blue Note, Prestige, Riverside, Clef.   There are other, but these will get you started.  These will start at $5 ea. and go up into the hundreds, depending on condition and pressing.  The sweet spot for collectors are lp's from the mid 50s to the mid 60's.  The bulk of most collections are worth $.25-.50 each.  dealers really don't need another sound track to Dr. Zhivago. 
This is vast oversimplification, but it can get you started.  Best of luck.

JohnR

With regard to the equipment, the simple answer is a. Yes they do have value and b. Put them on eBay to find out what that value is. Take good photographs of everything, describe them as carefully as you can, and if at all possible, test them and describe the results of that testing. (If you can't test them, then clearly say so and that they are sold "as-is" about five times in the listing.) Start the listing at a LOW price and have your packing/shipping sorted out in advance of listing.

I suppose you could follow the other suggestions to decide if it's worth the effort.

Good luck :)

dB Cooper

With regard to the equipment, the simple answer is a. Yes they do have value and b. Put them on eBay to find out what that value is. Take good photographs of everything, describe them as carefully as you can, and if at all possible, test them and describe the results of that testing. (If you can't test them, then clearly say so and that they are sold "as-is" about five times in the listing.) Start the listing at a LOW price and have your packing/shipping sorted out in advance of listing.

I suppose you could follow the other suggestions to decide if it's worth the effort.

Good luck :)
Do a search on eBay for the equipment and save the searches to see what the going values are. There are "audio blue books" but I don't know how reliable they are.

JohnR

Do a search on eBay for the equipment and save the searches to see what the going values are.

Ah yes, good point  :thumb: To OP: click on the "Sold listings" box when searching to see what things actually sold for.

Bill310

Thanks to everyone for all your good advice and commentary. Your help has been most appreciated.

sfox7076

If you sell the Thorens, look at videos on how to pack a turntable.

timind

• permanent vacation
Here's a site that tracks used audio equipment sales: http://www.kruipen.com/
and it's free. Not sure of accuracy, as it is the internet after all.

randytsuch

For the thorens, you should also see if you can figure out what kind of cartridge it has.

Since you don't know how many hours, people would probably assume it has to be retipped, but if its a good cartridge it may add value to the tt.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
It really doesn't take much searching on the internet to get a handle on the value of these components.  I found pretty quickly that the Sugden A28 is not the more desirable A21 and goes for around $300 plus or minus based on condition.  If you go thru the list, Google is your friend, you should be able to get a ballpark estimate on value without too much trouble.