my LGK build log (all done!)

BK_856er

my LGK build log (all done!)
« on: 12 Apr 2014, 09:28 pm »
Some of these pics are scattered in the other LGK threads, but I figured I'd consolidate things here instead going forward.

Gluing up Ben's (subassemble.com) super nice CNC flatpack:

Testing the new drivers - A-OK:

Practicing veneering a birdhouse with Makore to see if it could take a 3/8" roundover:

Building up some compensators with an MDF base.  I grooved the underside for the zipties and later put some bitumen from the no-rez on the back.  Hot glue, too:

Flush trimmed the box, fine-tuned the front baffle fitment and applied the rear veneer:

Compensators fit into place with 1" Spax screws:

Testing again before gluing the front baffles in place.  Added Acousta Stuff fill to the designated areas:

Getting closer!

BK
« Last Edit: 5 May 2014, 03:16 am by BK_856er »

BK_856er

Re: my LGK build log
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2014, 10:29 pm »
Baffles in place and everything is flush trimmed and sanded smooth.  Love the Whiteside Ultimate bit!

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:38 am »
Nice work.

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2014, 01:50 pm »
Nice. You must have the nicest birdhouse in town. :D

How are you going to finish?

Randy

BK_856er

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:26 pm »
No kidding - 4x10' veneer goes a long way!

Not certain about the finish yet.  This is my first makore project.  RAW suggested Interlux Brightside polyurethane.  All suggestions are welcome.  I'll also use the birdhouse to test out finishes.

BK

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:43 pm »
BK, as far as finishes go, knowing what you want to achieve coupled with your capabilities (spray, wipe, etc.) will steer you right direction. I can give specific recommendations if you like.

BK_856er

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2014, 03:02 pm »
BK, as far as finishes go, knowing what you want to achieve coupled with your capabilities (spray, wipe, etc.) will steer you right direction. I can give specific recommendations if you like.

Please do!  Just looking for a nice natural, low sheen finish that will bring out the beauty of the curly makore and strengthen the veneer.  Don't mind multiple steps and time investment - not in a hurry at all.  I don't have spray capabilities, so wipe/brush will need to do.

BK

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:44 pm »
Please do!  Just looking for a nice natural, low sheen finish that will bring out the beauty of the curly makore and strengthen the veneer.  Don't mind multiple steps and time investment - not in a hurry at all.  I don't have spray capabilities, so wipe/brush will need to do.

BK

For hand applied finishes, I like these equally. Availability may be determining factor.

http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/

http://www.waterlox.com/

Both are Tung oil based and handle similarly, easy to control, multi coats can give finish build-up desired and most of all, they look good. I'm not a fan of polyurethane on furniture...too plastic looking. It's primary strength is durability and cost, but it's not like a speaker sees much in the way of wear and tear. It has it's place, but I wouldn't say this is it. There are certainly those who disagree.
 Some examples, but photos don't tell the whole story

Finished in Waterlox

This is sprayed poly(catalyzed)

This is Sutherland Welles, at least 15 yrs old, many coats.

The down side to either of the finishes I mention is odor, they will smell a little for, say, a month after finishing. It's the nature of oil based varnishes.

randytsuch

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:11 pm »

For hand applied finishes, I like these equally. Availability may be determining factor.

http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/

http://www.waterlox.com/

So I know I can't get waterlox in LA because of VOC regs, not sure about the sutherlandwelles stuff.

The price of paradise  :wink:

I wanted to try waterlox, but don't feel like driving to another state to get it.

Randy

BK_856er

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2014, 06:56 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, peterj.   :thumb:

Picked up some Waterlox Original today at my local (California) Woodcraft.  They had the entire selection.  Go online to the manufacturer or various suppliers and it appears that it can't be shipped here at all.  Call or pull up your local store to search by pn and you might be surprised what's available.  Don't necessarily have to drive out of state to get it!

I plan to carefully/lightly sand the veneer with 220 and then 320 between ~4 coats Waterlox applied with a foam brush, with 24hrs between coats.

Still trying to decide between sharp vertical edges and 3/8" roundover.  Not sure I trust this veneer.

I'm only home every other week, so progress is unfortunately a bit intermittent.

BK

*Slapped on a quick coat to my test pieces.  The pleasant smell brings back fond woodworking memories!*

« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2014, 08:03 pm by BK_856er »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2014, 10:21 pm »
Nice veneer!  The oil in the Waterlox really pops that figure. I like the radius, if you can swing it.

rak313

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2014, 11:07 pm »
Baffles in place and everything is flush trimmed and sanded smooth.  Love the Whiteside Ultimate bit!

Nice job.  I too have the Whiteside bit - the best $175 I ever spent.  My router now is like cutting through butter!

BK_856er

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:23 am »
Nice veneer!  The oil in the Waterlox really pops that figure. I like the radius, if you can swing it.

No going back now!

BK_856er

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:24 am »
Nice job.  I too have the Whiteside bit - the best $175 I ever spent.  My router now is like cutting through butter!

It's an awesome bit!!

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:06 pm »
Nearly there!

Managed to get some micro cracks on the roundover, so will need to attend to those.  Darn brittle veneer.   :duh:

Still need to cut the driver opening and sand the edges flush, then off to finish.

BK

jeffh

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:22 pm »
BK,

Looking good!   You're just a little ahead of me on my build.

One question I have for you is how do you plan to fish the wires out through the small holes where the Electra Tube connectors go so you can solder them?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:06 pm »
One question I have for you is how do you plan to fish the wires out through the small holes where the Electra Tube connectors go so you can solder them?

I use pieces of Romex (12 or 14ga, solid core, electrical wiring for houses) works well. If you don't have any laying around you can buy it by the foot from any Lowe's or Home Depot.

Thread a piece of wire (after removing it from the outer insulation) through each of the tube connector openings and fish it out the driver opening.  Tape each of the leads from the crossover to one of the Romex wires then gently pull the wires back out the tube connector openings as you insert the crossover. 

Mike

randytsuch

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:16 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, peterj.   :thumb:

Picked up some Waterlox Original today at my local (California) Woodcraft.  They had the entire selection.  Go online to the manufacturer or various suppliers and it appears that it can't be shipped here at all.  Call or pull up your local store to search by pn and you might be surprised what's available.  Don't necessarily have to drive out of state to get it!

BK

What woodcraft did you go to?

Thanks

BK_856er

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2014, 01:59 am »
What woodcraft did you go to?

Thanks

Zip code matters, I'm sure.  I'm between San Francisco and San Jose and went to the San Carlos store.

BK

BK_856er

« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:02 am »
BK,

Looking good!   You're just a little ahead of me on my build.

Right now the compensators and wires are installed.  The bare wire ends that will attach to the tube connectors are pressed against the back wall under just a little bit of tension (solid core wire) so I can easily hook them and pull them out when it comes time to solder.

BK