Subwoofers

wgallupe

Subwoofers
« on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:44 pm »
Hi all,

Curious to know how everyone hooks up thier mains when using a subwoofer on a TWO CHANNEL non-home theater system:

1. Main speakers connected to the sub. Use sub's xover to filter out low frequencies to the mains.

2. Main speakers connected directly to amp and running full range. Sub set to fill in the lowest octive(s).

3. Other. Please explain...

Thanks,
Wayne

NeilT

Re: Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:46 pm »
2) works good for me.

Neil

jdbrian

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:27 pm »
Hi

I use the #2 scenario. I have OB7's and they are running fullrange. Because they are a sealed box they do not develope excessive excursion with loud levels of deep bass. They roll off in the 60hz range in my room and match seemlessly with my subs.
     A reflex loaded speaker can have problems with music that has a lot of energy below the reflex tuning frequency. In these cases it can be beneficial to use a line level crossover to reduce the LF content. The high level crossovers built into the subs are usually a single electrolytic capacitor in series. As such it can be very harmful to the mids and highs as well as not being optimized for any given speaker's bass impedance.
  In the past I have used line level xovers when using bass reflex speakers. The other factor is that you may need to roll off the bass response of your existing speakers to get a better blend with the sub. There a quite a few variables involved.

Brian

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:51 pm »
I have a set of in line crossovers for my monitors that are set at 65hz and my sub plays below.  I like the crossover lower and the sub and speakers are a very good match.  I have also have used the sub woofer amp out (crossover) and worked ok.. i did not like the blend of the two using this method.

JP

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:58 pm »
You should never use your option number 1. Most plate amps that offer a speaker level in and out with a high pass filter to your main speakers typically put a 100uF electrolytic cap in the signal path to your main speakers. Nothing will degrade them much worse than that. You don't want that in the signal path.

None of our plate amps even have that as an option.

Some speakers can be run full range and the sub can be matched to the natural roll off of the speakers. This typically works great.

If you need to remove lows from your speakers then there are ways to go that prior to the signal reaching the amplifier that have fewer drawbacks.

pjchappy

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2010, 05:46 pm »
If you need to remove lows from your speakers then there are ways to go that prior to the signal reaching the amplifier that have fewer drawbacks.

Here's some great instruction on how you can do that. . .with pretty low cost: http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/subwoofer-equalization-and-integration-with-the-minidsp-2x4/

Paul

Cheeseboy

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:18 pm »
Are there other products like this in the marketplace?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:30 pm »
Are there other products like this in the marketplace?

You can use the little FMod modules to filter off the lows and they are very inexpensive.

I made my own using some Sonicap Platinum's and have been using them with the upper sections of my V-series speakers and that has worked out really well.

wgallupe

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:34 pm »
Here's some great instruction on how you can do that. . .with pretty low cost: http://www.hifizine.com/2010/09/subwoofer-equalization-and-integration-with-the-minidsp-2x4/

Paul

That's very interesting. I wonder if it has any negitives ie: added distortion. For $125 bucks it could be fun to try.

jeffh

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2010, 02:37 am »
When you use option 2, what feeds the sub signal if you only have a two channel amp?

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:52 am »
You can use the little FMod modules to filter off the lows and they are very inexpensive.

I made my own using some Sonicap Platinum's and have been using them with the upper sections of my V-series speakers and that has worked out really well.

Danny, can you show us how to do the FMod thing using some quality caps?  Thanks!  :D

wndrmke

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2010, 05:57 am »
3. Pre-amp connected directly to high-quality (Bryston 10 B-Sub) crossover, outputs connected to main and subwoofer amps.

dvenardos

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2010, 07:45 am »
Split the signal going to the amp to L/R input on the sub.

When you use option 2, what feeds the sub signal if you only have a two channel amp?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2010, 03:55 pm »
Danny, can you show us how to do the FMod thing using some quality caps?  Thanks!  :D

Using a male and female RCA end (I used some really good ones from Vampire Wire) and use a cap in the positive leg. The value can depend on the input impedance of the amp. For me, I used a .047uF value, and used a Sonicap Platinum. This creates a first order roll off verses a second order roll off created by the FMod modules. They use a cap and a resistor.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2010, 04:36 pm »
Danny, I just want to keep the lows out of my 2ways.  Will this work for that purpose?  Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2010, 05:42 pm »
Danny, I just want to keep the lows out of my 2ways.  Will this work for that purpose?  Thanks!

Yes.

wgallupe

« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:41 am »

In my case, I have two identical powered subs, one for each channel. Two sets of outs from a Threshold preamp. One pair to the main power amp the other pair to each sub's low level inputs.

yoaudio

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:26 pm »
Just purchased Danny's Direct Servo Subwoofer Amp A370PEQ, this anp has 2 inputs, my reciever has 1 sub output. Do I use a y- cable or just use 1 RCA to the Right or Left of the Sub amp?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2010, 08:33 pm »
I just use the left but it doesn't matter as the amp combines the left and right together.

morganc

« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2010, 12:14 am »
Is there any sonic or power differences between using a single RCA vs. using a Y Splitter?