roonfan72

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1380 on: 24 Jun 2018, 12:14 am »
-

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2018, 09:05 pm by roonfan72 »

roonfan72

« Reply #1381 on: 24 Jun 2018, 04:38 pm »
Roon / DSD - DoP sorted.  Playing be-yoo-ti-fully now with the Chord Qutest.  Panic over!   :duh: :lol: :thumb:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1382 on: 26 Jun 2018, 07:44 pm »
BDP-2  S2.36 2017-12-18
Chris:
 Why are some of the albums not generating the small album art: bdp_front_44 and bdp_front_250?  This effects the thumb images on Rigelian.

Thanks. Rich

If you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id we can take a look remotely to make sure the BDP is behaving or if not whats missing.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Please wait till next Tuesday when I’m back from holiday.

Chris

MoPac

« Reply #1383 on: 27 Jun 2018, 11:58 pm »
Chris:
 While in Services I noticed MEM:98.8.  Might that have something to do with small art not being generated.  If that's the case how do I free up some memory?

Also what does SWAP:OFF mean?

Sorry.  I sent an email by mistake.  Guess I should read your whole post!  Will do again Tuesday.

Thanks. Rich

MoPac

« Reply #1384 on: 30 Jun 2018, 02:34 pm »
Chris:
 In regards to the small art not being generated and how it effects Rigelian, I am now testing Rigelian v1.2.3 ( beta ) and all the art now shows including the thumbs in the Playlists screen.  So it looks as though Berrie is not using the small art files.

I will still send you a Service No. on Tuesday so you can look to see why the small art is not being generated; This mostly is an issue with the drive bdp_512_2 where all the new stuff resides.

Thanks.  Rich

doveman

« Reply #1385 on: 5 Aug 2018, 02:27 am »
After six months of not using my BDP-1 due to the freeze / lock up issue constantly happening within minutes of a boot up, I decided to give it another go, it took about 50 power cycles off/on to actually get it to boot without a 09 code error, I updated the firmware (it was running the latest one anyway), I checked the system log and it reports the below, is this related to why BDP-1 tend to lock up, or was a reasonable explanation ever found? It would be great to actually use my BDP-1 again to listen to music.

[ 45.791024] EXT4-fs (sda2): mounting ext3 file system using the ext4 subsystem
[ 45.952004] EXT4-fs (sda2): recovery complete
[ 45.969498] EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[ 46.105596] fuse init (API version 7.23)
[ 46.211217] aufs au_warn_loopback:122:loop1[2458]: you may want to try another patch for loopback file on squashfs(0x73717368) branch
[ 46.283972] aufs test_add:305:mount[2459]: uid/gid/perm /bin/mnt 0/0/0755, 0/0/01777
[ 46.308652] FAT-fs (sdb1): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
[ 46.491962] FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[ 47.079628] FAT-fs (sdc1): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
[ 47.180639] FAT-fs (sdc1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[ 52.390475] aufs test_add:305:mount[3496]: uid/gid/perm /www/mnt 0/0/0755, 0/0/01777

artur9

« Reply #1386 on: 5 Aug 2018, 07:00 pm »
Speaking purely as a Unix veteran and not so much a BDP expert having a volume that does not fsck is not a good thing.  It can lead to all sorts of funny behavior.

Maybe you can make a new card for the BDP and install that?  I've had almost no problems with my BDP-1 and looking for fsck in my dmesg output finds nothing.

doveman

« Reply #1387 on: 7 Aug 2018, 09:50 am »
Speaking purely as a Unix veteran and not so much a BDP expert having a volume that does not fsck is not a good thing.  It can lead to all sorts of funny behavior.

Maybe you can make a new card for the BDP and install that?  I've had almost no problems with my BDP-1 and looking for fsck in my dmesg output finds nothing.

Thanks for your feedback. This is actually a second CF, as the problem has occurred before, so I manually got another card and went through the process outlined in the updating firmware - when things go wrong - to create.a brand new card and load new firmware from blank.

However, after what you have said I will try again, and see if the same message comes up.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1388 on: 7 Aug 2018, 02:28 pm »
device sda is your internal cf card with linux firmware and sdb/sdc are USB drives that your likely using for music.  If both these drives are bus powered it could be they are drawing to much current, you could try powering on the BDP with neither or just one of the drives attached.

Chris

soupcon

« Reply #1389 on: 4 Dec 2018, 05:13 am »
Hi folks-
i have a BDP2 operating as a roon endpoint.
my current wiring layout is:
Modem/non wifi Router > Airport Extreme >wired connection to a) Melco N1A as NAS b) BDP2 and c) laptop running Roon core with audiophile optimizer.
i wanted to try:
Modem/Router > Cisco switch (not managed) > a) airport extreme b) NAS c) BDP 2 d) laptop so as to bypass the Airport Extreme for all wired stuff (which is everything dealing with music data).

The bryston wouldn't see an ethernet connection even though the lights were running on the back, and in particular it showed ethX (both 1 and 2) down and not having received an IP of any sort. I do know that Airport Extreme is giving out NAT addresses and the Modem/Router (and thus this Cisco router) is not giving out NAT addresses. When I plugged the bryston into the Airport Extreme, it would announce EthX up and receive a NAT address. no problem. not that this worked to make sound, but all other devices (laptop, Melco) could receive addresses as doled out via the Modem/Router.

Does this seem normal? Not that i got it working in any manner, but I can't even diagnose if I can't get the BDP2 an IP address.

Any thoughts or suggestions? What am I missing? I am no networking expert  :D

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1390 on: 4 Dec 2018, 01:18 pm »
I'm not sure how you have the rest of your gear configured, but it sounds like you might be double NAT'd which isn't ideal if you are, but not likely causing this problem.  What colour is the LED/Light on the front of the airport extreme?

Chris

soupcon

« Reply #1391 on: 6 Dec 2018, 05:33 pm »
I'm not sure how you have the rest of your gear configured, but it sounds like you might be double NAT'd which isn't ideal if you are, but not likely causing this problem.  What colour is the LED/Light on the front of the airport extreme?

Chris

my reply was obviously moderated into nothingness, but i have found out more, and all is well in the house of BDP2.
i had to clarify with my cable provider what i'd signed up for. i knew i had stipulated i didn't need built in wifi from them. well, as it turns out, what i'm not paying for, and therefore don't have is: a. wifi service through their modem and b. router functionality.
it looks like the modem will still dole out addresses to 2 or 3 clients, so i believe what happened is the bryston didn't get an IP address because the modem just won't give them out.

i think i confirmed this by trying it again, and this time, my Roon server laptop couldn't get connected and the BDP2 got a (weird) IP address.

so, essentialy my router is my airport extreme. which is why it works great when i put the switch after the airport.

thanks for your time on this in any case. the BDP 2 is wonderful.

akosgyorfi

« Reply #1392 on: 23 Dec 2018, 08:35 pm »
Hi people,
Excuse me if this has already been covered but could you guys let me know what speed do you get while transferring files through your wireless network?
I am getting between 1-3 Mbps which I think is rather poor. Is there a way to make the transfer speed faster?

MoPac

« Reply #1393 on: 8 Jan 2019, 08:03 pm »
             BDP-2   S2.38 218-10-22
Chris:
 Added a thumb drive with a small amount of music to a front USB port.  The music indexed and plays, but the drive does not show in the Bryston network folder.

Wanted to test SMB using a Sonic Transporter i5.  Just wanted to index a small amount of music just to see what the share name should be, hence the small thumb drive.  Unlike BlueSound ( who finds shares for you ) the Sonic Transporter wants you to enter the share name.  Looking at the BlueSound Share list does not show the thumb drive either.

How do I get the thumb drive to show in the Bryston network folder?

Thanks.  Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1394 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:37 am »
Shares are only created when the bdp is powered on and when the samba service is restarted.

Chris

timon

« Reply #1395 on: 19 Jan 2019, 03:11 pm »
Odd issue with my BDP 1. I've had the player for a few months now and I love it. All my gear is plugged into isolation transformers, one for digital and one for analog.
After a day or so of playing, it started to make noise. It sounded like static popping and electronic squealing in both channels. After some trial and error, I tracked it to the Bryston. If I turned it off when it started to make noise, the noise would dissipate. The rest of the stereo was still on , volume untouched. Thinking maybe it did not like being plugged into a balanced isolation transformer, I moved to my regular isolation transformer. All was well for a week or so, then it started up again. I then plugged the Bryston into the wall and it was fine again. Yesterday, after it had been working fine day in day out for 2 months, I thought to try it again in the transformer.
Sure enough a few hours in it starts to make the noise again. Plugged it back into the wall and all is well. And yes all is on 1 circuit. I am wondering if this is a grounding issue and can it be solved?
Thanks,
any help would be appreciated

Grant Hill

« Reply #1396 on: 2 Feb 2019, 02:38 pm »
Hi All,
I was wondering if with the BDP2 or BDP3's tablet application it is possible to view the .pdf booklets of my purchased album saved in the folder.
thanks!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1397 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:29 pm »
Hi All,
I was wondering if with the BDP2 or BDP3's tablet application it is possible to view the .pdf booklets of my purchased album saved in the folder.
thanks!

If you have the Bryston DB enabled then Media Player will will link pdf's to the default view and the albums in the artist view if they are available.  on the default view you see a blue line across the bottom of the cover art in the centre of the page and on the artist view each album has a menu and if a booklet is available it will have an item in the menu called booklet.  Also enabling the music scrapper will check the musicbrainz database for booklets as well, there are aren't many but its picked up a few for my library.

Chris

Grant Hill

« Reply #1398 on: 6 Feb 2019, 10:14 am »
thank you!

Calypte

« Reply #1399 on: 6 Feb 2019, 11:40 pm »
If you have the Bryston DB enabled then Media Player will will link pdf's to the default view and the albums in the artist view if they are available.  on the default view you see a blue line across the bottom of the cover art in the centre of the page and on the artist view each album has a menu and if a booklet is available it will have an item in the menu called booklet.  Also enabling the music scrapper will check the musicbrainz database for booklets as well, there are aren't many but its picked up a few for my library.

Chris

Really!?  Is this only on a computer, or on a cell phone too?  I found that under 2.38 I couldn't even display the back side of an LP cover (it can be done in 2.36).  As for Musicbrainz -- I've ripped thousands of CDs with Foobar 2000 -- mostly classical music, but also some pop/rock/jazz -- and not a single item has ever gotten a hit in Musicbrainz.