Picked up the 360 HDDVD add on today....

LordCloud

Picked up the 360 HDDVD add on today....
« on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:27 pm »
I cannot wait to get home!  :drool: I got the free copy of King Kong and I plan on picking up another movie or two after work(I'm thinking Chronicles of Riddick, what can I say, I liked it). I'll let you guys know what I think. Anyone else have the add on and want to share their experiences thus far?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Picked up the 360 HDDVD add on today....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:50 pm »
No but I eagerly await yours!  :D

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2006, 08:54 pm »
Let us know what you think.  I was unimpressed with SD video playback on the regular 360.  If I am going to go HD DVD the Xbox will be the ticket...

koiman

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2006, 09:57 pm »
What type connections can you hook up to the 360 HDDVD unit. I assume it must have digital outs. please elaborate for me
Thanks,
Lee

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2006, 11:02 pm »
I believe everything goes to the TV via by component video cables and there is no HDMI/DVI.

LordCloud

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2006, 11:44 pm »
I am unimpressed by DVD playback on the 360. I have an up converting Toshiba that does a much better job with DVDs. Even when I had just a progressive scan player, the xbox couldn't keep up. Unfortunately the 360 doesn't upconvert over component, so I'll still be using my Toshiba for SD DVDs. But in a few hours I'll be looking at King Kong in glorious HD. I'll report back.

dnewcomer

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2006, 12:16 am »
but it will upconvert regular DVD's using the VGA cable (untested), and the HD DVD over VGA looks great (tested), and its much faster loading compared to Toshiba A1, plus no HDMI headaches, only downside so far appears to be the Xbox drive will convert the newer audio codecs (such as TRUE HD) to DDS 5.1, via optical to your receiver.

LordCloud

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:02 pm »
I finally got to watch KK all the way through last night, and I watched a little bit of Chronicles of Riddick the other night as well. So far all I can say is holy shit! The picture quality is absolutely spectacular, far ahead of anything I've seen on cable in high definition. The 3D look is there on so many scenes, The color saturation, the depth, everything looks great. Granted I am no videophile, 2 ch audio does it for me, but I do love a great picture, and HDDVD has a great picture and more. I thought watching sports was going to be basically the best you can get picture wise with HD, but this blows anything away I've seen in HD! Anything. Using the player is almost headache free, my only gripe is that the included remote doesn't open the HDVD drawer, it opens the 360 drawer. Stupid. But nothing else really bothers me as far as ergonomics go. I love the damn thing, now I just need more movies!

PeteG

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:59 pm »
I love the damn thing, now I just need more movies!

These should be on your "must have list"

Pitch Black
Corpse Bride
M:i:III

Pete

LordCloud

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2006, 05:16 pm »
I plan on picking up MI3 and Pitch Black, I'll be getting Corpse Bride just for the PQ. I saw it in the theater and I really didn't love the movie. But I have heard the PQ is incredible, and who knows, maybe I'll like it on the second viewing.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2006, 07:31 pm »
What kind of display are you using?

Bob

LordCloud

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:22 pm »
I curently have a 30" Panasonic 1080i HDTV. I plan on moving up to a DLP set in the 46 to 50 inch range. I'm trying to decide if I should get a 1080p set or not. My problem is that the image quality is lacking in my eyes compared to direct view sets. You get a bigger picture, but you also get a less sharp picture, with less of a dimensional quality, and the blacks aren't as good. The best televsion I've ever seen was a Loewe direct view, it was far and away better than even Vidikron's, Runco's, and Madrigal's top of the line offerings at the time.

And I have to say after watching some scenes on King Kong again, especially the later scenes after he's loose in the city, I've never seen an image more three dimensional. I've never seen an image with less in-between you and the picture, it's incredible. I would advise anyone who has a 360 to get the add on, especially with KK included free.

bubba966

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:29 pm »
The best televsion I've ever seen was a Loewe direct view, it was far and away better than even Vidikron's, Runco's, and Madrigal's top of the line offerings at the time.

That's exactly why I love my 16:9 Loewe direct view. :green: There's no better picture.

Makes gaming on it with a 360 or 'cube excellent as well.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2006, 07:32 pm »
Gotcha,
I've never has the pleasure of seeing one myself.
I'm into front projection myself. (As you can see by the avatar.)
My son says I'm the coolest dad in the world everytime he plays a game on "the big screen".

Bob

LordCloud

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2006, 07:57 pm »
I think front projection is the way to go if you are looking at picture quality and picture size. But for pure picture quality, I think a direct view still offers a better picture. I am now stuck as to what I'm going to do as far as upgrading my TV. yes I can get improvements with a bigger better television, but I have yet to see the 3D quality I see at home on a bigger TV, including front projection. Not to say it's not possible, I just haven't seen it.

Like I said, nothing, and I mean nothing has ever come close to looking as good as that Loewe. I watched a little bit of Star wars Ep.2 on it and I swear it was absolutely mind boggling. I can't really describe it, but it was painfully obvious that the actors were running around in a room and everything was fake. I know, I know, of course that's what it was, but with this TV, you could PLAINLY see that. It looked, and I'm not even close to exaggerating, like an old movie where someone is driving in a car and you can plainly tell that they're sitting in a prop with a screen behind them or however they did it' it looked exactly like that. It was the most revealing set I've ever seen, it produced colors and details I didn't think were possible in a TV. My set is nowhere near that level of quality, but it's pretty damn good still. I can't shake the feeling that I would only be getting size and not a major improvement in picture quality if I "upgrade".

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2006, 09:09 pm »
Do you feel that it is sooo revealing, so accurate, that you loose the 'realism'?
You know, the sence that you're really there?
I don't know if I phrased that to convey my meaning properly.

Bob

LordCloud

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2006, 10:54 pm »
I think I know what you mean. For most people, I think the Loewe I saw would be far too much of a good thing. When I describe it to people the first thing out of their mouths is usually, why would you want that. I think it is possible that a picture that revealing could take you out of the "experience", it could possibly make you look more at how a film is made as opposed to why. Me personally, I fell in love. I wish I would have been able to afford it when they had it. I was disappointed when I got my current television home, and looked at the same discs I looked at at the dealer's. Even people's movements were different, as though more frames of animation had been added, it was weird but good weird. It was like the difference between film and video. I can't accurately describe it, but I loved it, but I would bet that most people or at lest your average person would not.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2006, 03:51 pm »

And I have to say after watching some scenes on King Kong again, especially the later scenes after he's loose in the city, I've never seen an image more three dimensional. I've never seen an image with less in-between you and the picture, it's incredible. I would advise anyone who has a 360 to get the add on, especially with KK included free.

Oh the temptations! I was reluctant to get a 360 but wanted some of the features. Now there is this $199 HD-DVD that seems to be worthwhile.

What HD-DVD titles are available that would justify this in the long run. Will the XBox 360 do DVD-A well?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2006, 05:22 pm »
take you out of the "experience"

Yea, that's what I meant. You knew what I was trying to say, Thanks. :thumb:

Bob

LordCloud

« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2006, 07:18 pm »

Oh the temptations! I was reluctant to get a 360 but wanted some of the features. Now there is this $199 HD-DVD that seems to be worthwhile.

What HD-DVD titles are available that would justify this in the long run. Will the XBox 360 do DVD-A well?

I think it really depends on what type and what movies you like. Right now, there aren't a whole lot of movies available that are "essential" purchases for me. When the Matrix trilogy comes out, that will probably be the first. And when I say essential, I mean I want it no matter what the picture looks like. I am a movie buff though, so I still buy tons of movies that aren't have to haves. I'm picking up Corpse bride even though I didn't really like it in the theater, but the picture quality is outstanding and I do like Tim Burton, so I'm sure it will grow on me.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2006, 08:43 pm by jqp »