Name the finest pair of loud speakers you have heard

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Name the finest pair of loud speakers you have heard
« Reply #160 on: 5 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm »
The Infinity IRS Reference III speakers with CJ equipment at the Alexandria Virginia Audio Show in 1979.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

audioengr

« Reply #161 on: 5 Nov 2011, 11:27 pm »
I had the opportunity to hear these at RMAF in my room after hours.  Amazing sound.  They have the best tweeter ever produced, along with superior crossover parts that other mfgrs wont spend the money for.  I have been exhibiting at CES and RMAF for 15 years and I have never heard anything this good.  They are a great value and easy to drive too.

http://www.vaporsound.com

the Cirrus

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #162 on: 6 Nov 2011, 12:13 am »
The Infinity IRS Reference III speakers with CJ equipment at the Alexandria Virginia Audio Show in 1979.

:drool: :drool: :drool:
that musta been the same system i heard in alexandria at the old excalibur audio shop - that's the second pair of speakers, along w/the jadis eurythmies, that i mentioned in my original post.   :lol:  :thumb:  excalibur had an oracle delphi turnable set up - also the first time i had ever seen one of those...

excalibur's shop was about twice as wide as the room in that pic - twice as deep, as well, i imagine.  not sure it sounded as good in the room pictured here...

doug s.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #163 on: 6 Nov 2011, 12:31 am »
I had the opportunity to hear these at RMAF in my room after hours.  Amazing sound.  They have the best tweeter ever produced, along with superior crossover parts that other mfgrs wont spend the money for.  I have been exhibiting at CES and RMAF for 15 years and I have never heard anything this good.  They are a great value and easy to drive too.

http://www.vaporsound.com

the Cirrus

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Wow Steve, I'm blushing!  I knew you liked them, thank you for saying just how much so. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #164 on: 6 Nov 2011, 12:52 am »
Wow Steve, I'm blushing!  I knew you liked them, thank you for saying just how much so.
the cirrus' are definitely on my short list of must hear speakers, after reading what steve said earlier, re: the hearing them in his room at the rmaf show :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99651.msg1003977#msg1003977
"...IMO, your speakers crush practically everything without really low bass.  Ill bet the TAD ref2 only has bass extension to beat it.  There is no way the tweeter can compete IMO.

We played LZ Stairway to Heaven for TAS reviewer and the vocalist was so clear and defined that I heard new nuances and detail inthe lyrics for the first time.  Ive only heard this track maybe 10,000 times or so....."

and later in the same thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99651.msg1004490#msg1004490
"...Quote from: Tyson on 18 Oct 2011, 02:57 PM

BTW Steve, I only did a Top 3 at show this year, but your room was in the top 5, IMO.  Best I've ever heard a YG Acoustic speaker sound.  Wish I could have heard the Vapors, seems like they took it up another level.

Duh, I should have had your cell phone.  We played them both Sat. and Sun. after show hours....

I felt myself grabbing for my wallet and wanting to open it.  :P

i am sure the cirrus' are something special...

doug s.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #165 on: 6 Nov 2011, 02:59 am »
that musta been the same system i heard in alexandria at the old excalibur audio shop - that's the second pair of speakers, along w/the jadis eurythmies, that i mentioned in my original post.   :lol:  :thumb:  excalibur had an oracle delphi turnable set up - also the first time i had ever seen one of those...

excalibur's shop was about twice as wide as the room in that pic - twice as deep, as well, i imagine.  not sure it sounded as good in the room pictured here...

doug s.

Same place as I heard the later pair of IRS V's.  Did not sound as good as at the show as the room was way to small.

I do have an Oracle Delphi MKI with most of the MKV mods!  It is a great table!  :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #166 on: 6 Nov 2011, 03:06 am »
Same place as I heard the later pair of IRS V's.  Did not sound as good as at the show as the room was way to small.

I do have an Oracle Delphi MKI with most of the MKV mods!  It is a great table!  :D
when i heard the lll's at excalibur, it was in their main entry room, which was a sizeable room.  if i had to guess, i'd say it was at least 18x24, mebbe bigger.  the sound was breathtaking! 

i also have an original oracle, w/most mkv updates, except i am using an o-l dc motor, w/hp lab-grade power supply.  i agree it's a great turntable.

doug s.

groovybassist

« Reply #167 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:34 am »
Evolution Acoustics MMThree run by DartZeel amplification.  Hearing 45-rpm pressings of Led Zeppelin - Black Dog, and Patricia Barber - Too Rich for My Blood was ear-opening.  Way bigger than anything I'll be able to own, but turned me on enough that I ordered a set of their new MMMicroOnes early this year.  Waiting patiently as production issues get worked out.  They're likely the polar opposite of what I have now (Harbeth Compact 7-ES3), but that's what makes this hobby so much fun.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #168 on: 7 Nov 2011, 09:25 pm »
I second the Cirrus after a few days to stew on them...don't want to gush so just WOW.  Incredibly deep sound stage, phenomenally detailed without being overly analytical, and so...SO musical, they will be mine...oh yes they will be mine.

Thanks for the experience Ryan...

If you haven't heard them you should

As far as a budget system Jlafrenz's Jolida JD-10a powering a set of Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 SEs in a well treated room at the emofest event he held at his house. 

I was modeling my home system after this system until I heard the Cirrus a few days ago.  Now I might start picking up OT at work for a few months and selling some organs for a set of Cirrus.

face

« Reply #169 on: 8 Nov 2011, 02:22 pm »
TAD.

frank111

« Reply #170 on: 20 Nov 2011, 05:59 pm »
 Under $1500/pair- HoytBedford type 1's. Very efficient, & a pleasing sound.
 Under $10,000/pair- The Klipschorn. Walked into an audio store about 30 yrs & loved'em.
 No price limit/pair- Utopia by Focal JM Lab(pretty sure that was the brand/model) . Listened once at an east coast audio parlor. The freq.response & presence was life like. I've never heard anything like them before or since.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2011, 10:29 pm by frank111 »

milford3

« Reply #171 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:06 pm »
If only I could afford the Genesis 1.2  Just jaw dropping

BrianAbington

« Reply #172 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:57 am »
I had a chance recently to spend some time with a pair of Sonus Faber Liuto's These were the towers with the cherry wood. They sounded amazing. The REL subwoofer was not needed. Amazingly detailed.

I also had a chance that same day to hear a pair of Rockport Mira's.
The room was setup for 5.1 but just the L & R speakers were playing. The jazz track played for me sounded like the band was in the same room as you. Sounded amazing. Creepy center imaging and very wide overall stage with lots of depth.

However I preferred the Liuto's they just sounded more in your face, less fragile, and coming from a live sound background they had the sizzle in the highs on electronic music and a nice kick in the mid/bass areas.

anubisgrau

« Reply #173 on: 23 Nov 2011, 09:08 am »
Oris Swing - for factory built. The nicest sounding horns I know of - much preferred to Avantgarde Trio.

mr_bill

« Reply #174 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:30 pm »
I had a chance recently to spend some time with a pair of Sonus Faber Liuto's These were the towers with the cherry wood. They sounded amazing. The REL subwoofer was not needed. Amazingly detailed.

I also had a chance that same day to hear a pair of Rockport Mira's.
The room was setup for 5.1 but just the L & R speakers were playing. The jazz track played for me sounded like the band was in the same room as you. Sounded amazing. Creepy center imaging and very wide overall stage with lots of depth.

However I preferred the Liuto's they just sounded more in your face, less fragile, and coming from a live sound background they had the sizzle in the highs on electronic music and a nice kick in the mid/bass areas.

I've heard the Liutos too and they are outstanding!

BPoletti

« Reply #175 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:36 pm »
I have heard the Herron Audio prototype speakers.  Beat everything else I've heard.  He just has to put those into production.  Maybe there will be some news about that at CES.

roadkingraw

« Reply #176 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:14 pm »
For me I would have to say this would have to be the Dunlavy SCIII or Dunlavy SCIV.  These speakers were the imaging champ, efficient to drive and threw a wide and deep soundstage.  Not only that, they were some of the fastest speakers I have ever heard.  It was impossible to match a sub with them.

Mike B.

« Reply #177 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:23 pm »
TAD 1 also. I have enjoyed every Marten speaker I have heard.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #178 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:43 pm »
There have been so many great ones and many greats I haven't heard, but as of today I'd say the Vandersteen 7 at RMAF.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #179 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:50 pm »
Sanders 10C, then Salk SoundScapes and Vapor Sound Cirrus.