Which to choose: M5 or M3 Sapphire

Terence T.

Which to choose: M5 or M3 Sapphire
« on: 7 Feb 2021, 05:34 pm »
I am going to move to a smaller apartment with a listening area of 13.5'L x 10.5'W x 8.5' (ceiling). As such I'm leaning towards the M5 Sapphire. But I read somewhere that the M5 Sapphire requires at least 3 feet from the front wall otherwise the bass levels will be reduced. For this reason if I cannot pull out the M5 more than 2 feet, will M3 with its double bass drivers be an appropriate choice in terms of bass levels. My music choice mostly smooth jazz and vocals. My present setup consists of Innuos Zen Mk3 & Jay's Audio CDT2MK2 Transport feeding Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE with L2 DAC and out to Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary speakers. Any M5 or M3 owners out there I wish to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Terence

jjss49

Re: Which to choose: M5 or M3 Sapphire
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2021, 06:32 pm »
call clayton talk to him, he will guide you in right direction

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2021, 06:35 pm »
I am going to move to a smaller apartment with a listening area of 13.5'L x 10.5'W x 8.5' (ceiling). As such I'm leaning towards the M5 Sapphire. But I read somewhere that the M5 Sapphire requires at least 3 feet from the front wall otherwise the bass levels will be reduced. For this reason if I cannot pull out the M5 more than 2 feet, will M3 with its double bass drivers be an appropriate choice in terms of bass levels. My music choice mostly smooth jazz and vocals. My present setup consists of Innuos Zen Mk3 & Jay's Audio CDT2MK2 Transport feeding Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE with L2 DAC and out to Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary speakers. Any M5 or M3 owners out there I wish to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Terence
I have my M3’s almost 4ft into the room and any closer to the wall didn’t really sound great.  My room is 16x18 and the M3’s are quite imposing. While the M5 is smaller your room is relatively small as well and not sure either can work unless you can pull them out from the wall. I would call Clayton to be sure. Besides you have great gear anyway!

Terence T.

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2021, 07:04 am »
Hi jjss49 and Audiosaurusrex,

Thanks for your invaluable feedback. I will contact Clayton for further advice.  :duh:

Terence

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2021, 01:15 pm »
don't know the M5, but my listening room is about the size of yours and my M3s are about 3 or so feet in from the back wall.   am also finding that listening from close to the speakers is giving great results.   so the distance "lost" from the back wall can be "re-gained" by sitting close to the speakers.  the relatively large M3s sound surprisingly (to me at least) fantastic in this relatively small space.

Terence T.

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2021, 07:13 am »
don't know the M5, but my listening room is about the size of yours and my M3s are about 3 or so feet in from the back wall.   am also finding that listening from close to the speakers is giving great results.   so the distance "lost" from the back wall can be "re-gained" by sitting close to the speakers.  the relatively large M3s sound surprisingly (to me at least) fantastic in this relatively small space.

Hi musicdre,

I have never heard Spatial Audio OB speakers before but thanks to your feedback I now have a better insights to Spatial Audio M Sapphire series.

Also to those who have contributed to my post. Thanks so much.

Terence