Rusty....AMG amps. Info please.

Btrmousetrap

Rusty....AMG amps. Info please.
« on: 3 Sep 2019, 12:19 pm »
Rusty, you recently referenced the upcoming AMG amps due in Q4. Can you give a more detailed description and the goals the amps are targeted to meet? Where will they land in the current range of amplifiers NuPrime currently has available? Thanks and looking forward to hearing your response.

Have a great day,

Btrmousetrap

rustydoglim

Re: Rusty....AMG amps. Info please.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2019, 01:17 pm »
Sure, the AMG series are expected to be launched around late October.  Please don't ask your dealers or distributors for availability, otherwise they will get "upset" and start chasing me for it :)

We have updated the Amp Comparison and Characteristic article: https://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/
AMG is not included in there but it is good to review this guide if anyone is not familiar with NuPrime.

NuPrime is well recognised as the best value and performance for the money. The entry level amps such as IDA-8 and STA-9 are designed to work with entry to mid range components and speakers. The higher end amps such as ST-10* and Evo One are very detailed, highly resolved, dynamic with extended bass and all that. 

It seems that there is no room for AMG series, but obviously there are people who prefer some other brands than NuPrime. So the AMG series have several objectives:
1. High end performance above the 9 series and in parallel with the 10 series.
2. Sonic characteristic appeal to people who currently don't choose NuPrime because they want to have all the good stuff, but a little more relax and warm (but not like STA-9 warm).
3. Luxurious but not opulent style.

Coincidentally a long time Nuprime customer who owns NuForce Ref 9**, ST-10, Evo One etc just posted a topic saying that his taste has changed and wanted something more relax.  I think AMG is exactly what he wants, at 1/3 the price of what he has to pay.

To put it in another way, ST-10* and Evo One excite you, AMG relaxes you.  If money is no object, you would buy both types of amps.  So AMG is an alternate component for 10 or Evo one customers (just get the AMG amp only to suit your mood) and a natural upgrade path for 9 series customers.  It will take us 6 to 9 months to completely fill up the entire AMG series and we are in no rush, since they are not designed to replace any existing series.

Samac

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2019, 03:48 pm »
Thanks for the info on the AMG line, Jason. I look forward to seeing what NuPrime has come up with. Is there an Integrated planned for the AMG line?

I have the IDA-16 and have been pleased with it for nearly three years. You mentioned the updated amp comparison chart in your post.

I have a question that seems obvious by looking at the chart. Would it be fair to say that Nuprime believes that the stereo MCX amplifier would be a solid upgrade over the 200 watt amplifier of the IDA-16? Also, Is there an integrated being considered for the MCX line of amps? Thank you.

Cheers,

Scott

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2019, 06:07 pm »
MCX has more power and dynamic than IDA-16 but not necessary a clear cut preferrable sound than IDA-16.
Obviously if budget allow, Evo series would be the ultimate upgrade for IDA-16 customer.
We are still undecided about the integrated for AMG series. It is against the design philosophy of the AMG where each component is unique (for example, jaw dropping sound quality for the standalone preamp + headphone amp, I have heard it).

So unless you want to go with separate components, wait for the IDA-32.

Samac

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2019, 08:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply and the advice, Jason. That is good news that there will be an IDA-32; Really looking forward to what it will offer.

Cheers,

Scott

sresener

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2019, 01:41 am »
When will you have more information about the dedicated pre amp?

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2019, 07:34 am »
The objective for preamp is to do more than just volume control and channel selection. What do most audiophiles want ? Change the sound characteristic in a subtle way to suite the mood or for component matching.  Pro audio preamps have EQ setting but they are done using DSP and affected the sound in a different way (something will be lost).  Furthermore, changing sound characteristic doesn't necessary mean changing EQ.  How do you add warmth for example.

We will explain how it is done soon.  Yes, I heard the amazing preamp.

kevb

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2019, 05:28 pm »
Is there any more info about these?  Specs, price, availability?

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2019, 09:23 am »
They will be up on the website in a week's time.

kevb

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2019, 07:30 pm »
Perfect.  I am most interested in a power amp to match up with my Evo DAC (currently MCX-4).  Hoping it's got an "introductory" price.   :D

kevb

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2019, 04:26 pm »
Is there any update?  Definitely interested......

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2019, 07:40 am »
Well, Rusty had never slot on in any of the dates he'd posted so far. Only thing he's spot on is a good and reasonably priced product. Hope he keep it that way. Better late than a half cooked product.

rustydoglim

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2019, 06:12 pm »
https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/amg-sta/

AMG STA and AMG PRE shipping December 5.  AMG PRE product page will be publish later this week, waiting for spec.
And both pages are still missing internal photos to sprinkle around the text.

I can assure you that AMG PRE is something that you need to hear.  The product page explains the innovation in this state of the art preamp that we are very proud of. It is a "must have" component, even more so than an amp in any system.

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2019, 03:41 am »
Wow, that looks like an impressive combo. Fill me in if I miss it. There seems to be not a DAC in the amg pre. What would be a good match for the amg combo? How would Series 10 owners partner these?  Would the amg sta plus dac10 be a good match?

Contemplating if I should go with st10m or otherwise. Oh, if the ida32 is on par/exceed  the current 10 combo, I would have another option on hand. Hope to hear some thoughts from you or forum members.
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2019, 11:52 am by Tan Raymond »

Fenek

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:47 pm »
Hi Rusty, Will there be a AMG DAC later?

Fenek

Luculus

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2019, 10:46 am »
Hi Jason

Will the AMG amps like the STA9 be better in mono configuration ?

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2019, 07:12 pm »
What would be a good match for the amg combo? How would Series 10 owners partner these?  Would the amg sta plus dac10 be a good match?

Contemplating if I should go with st10m or otherwise. Oh, if the ida32 is on par/exceed  the current 10 combo, I would have another option on hand. Hope to hear some thoughts from you or forum members.

A GREAT combination would be the CDP-9 and the AMG Pre.

Gives you a great DAC, CDP, and multiple Digital Inputs.

And there is a way to run the DAC-10 straight through as a DAC only.  I would have to check for the procedure, but at one time it was mistakenly called Home Theater By-Pass, but was really a method of using the DAC only.

Some US Dealers will be bundling this combo.

If all you need is a USB DAC, you might even find the uDSD sufficient.

rustydoglim

« Reply #17 on: 14 Dec 2019, 09:57 am »
I just updated AMG PRE and AMG STA product pages (they were up earlier but lacks design details) today.
You can see from the design details, these are entirely different class of amp and preamp (especially the preamp!).

I have heard the AMG STA, it is in the same class as ST-10* but sounded different.  But the real surprise is the AMG PRE.
Sure, the ideal preamp is to act like a wire with gain adjustment and no signal degradation.  Our chief engineer went all out to accomplish this. Read about it on the product page.
But, making the system sounds better? I have a jaw dropping reaction when I first heard it.

eosdigic

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2020, 08:29 am »
Hi Rusty,
Could you update dimension/weight information on product pages of AMG-PRE/STA? Thanks in advance.

I just updated AMG PRE and AMG STA product pages (they were up earlier but lacks design details) today.
You can see from the design details, these are entirely different class of amp and preamp (especially the preamp!).

I have heard the AMG STA, it is in the same class as ST-10* but sounded different.  But the real surprise is the AMG PRE.
Sure, the ideal preamp is to act like a wire with gain adjustment and no signal degradation.  Our chief engineer went all out to accomplish this. Read about it on the product page.
But, making the system sounds better? I have a jaw dropping reaction when I first heard it.

John Ransley

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2020, 09:30 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've just got the new AMG PRA's in and have one set up in a nice little all analogue system. We'll be doing a full write up over the next few weeks, but for the moment feel free to ask any questions. We've posted some initial pics on our insta page. Soundwise it's silky smooth straight out of the box and is warming up nicely - very transparent, relaxed and detailed. I've sussed out the front panel controls (the manual needs some additions) and the remote is almost a component in itself. Build quality is excellent. There's something pretty special going on with the power supply that NuPrime aren't saying anything about as yet - I've been inside and had a look and it's unusual to say the least. More soon.

John at www.totallywired.nz