parallel wiring query

Quive

Re: parallel wiring query
« Reply #20 on: 9 Sep 2021, 04:06 pm »
Please explain how current is reduced. If one speaker is wired out of phase without changing the internal wiring I would think both speakers get the same current. All that happens is the bass cancels so you can play them louder without disturbing the neighbors. Place the speakers face to face with a couple of inches between and throw some blankets on top to muffle the sound.

I would never change the polarity of the individual drivers, it's so hard the get it right the first time then reverse to for break-in, change back to correct polarity to listen then reverse again for another break-in session, this is a recipe for disaster.

I use the free Foobar2000 player with an old laptop repeating the frybaby burn-in track. The track is broadband noise from 20Hz to 20kHz plus a sweeping pulse from 2Hz to 200Hz. You can download the burn-in track here:

Right click link to "Save Link As..."
http://www.hagtech.com/media/frybaby.mp3

Play the frybaby.mp3 on non-stop repeat until you get bored.

Hey, Thanks for that, I have downloaded it and will use it later. It reminds me of the sound of my garden sprinkler (on steroids, lol) how could i get bored with that ;-)

I agree with you on this "I would never change the polarity of the individual drivers, it's so hard the get it right the first time then reverse to for break-in, change back to correct polarity to listen then reverse again for another break-in session, this is a recipe for disaster."

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 9 Sep 2021, 05:20 pm »

If they sound like they're really lacking in the mids and upper bass but have lots of treble, make sure the bass woofers are wired in the correct polarity, as they are wired backwards compared to the mids and tweeter.

I don't have the X-Statics or a wiring diagram. Does that means the woofers are wired in reverse polarity + to - and the mids and tweeters are wired + to + ?

The diagram Quive posted is the opposite

subsonic1050

« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2021, 05:54 pm »
I don't have the X-Statics or a wiring diagram. Does that means the woofers are wired in reverse polarity + to - and the mids and tweeters are wired + to + ?

The diagram Quive posted is the opposite

The open baffle MTM section (the midrange drivers and the tweeter) are + to +, and the bottom, enclosed woofers are + to -

richidoo

« Reply #23 on: 9 Sep 2021, 08:13 pm »
Please explain how current is reduced. If one speaker is wired out of phase without changing the internal wiring I would think both speakers get the same current. All that happens is the bass cancels so you can play them louder without disturbing the neighbors. Place the speakers face to face with a couple of inches between and throw some blankets on top to muffle the sound.

Placing the speakers face to face in opposite polarity makes one pull while the other pushes. The pressure of the air between them does not change much. There is less energy draw to create air pressure impulse. This is why it's quieter. They each help the other move their cones. One rarifies the air while other pressurizes. The combined power is halved or less. The mechanical aspects will break in but the conductor insulation and caps will go slower.

The speakers are not doing their job of pressurizing air to create impulse. No matter how high you turn it up the other speaker is still helping by the increased amount. The pressure between them remains too low. Yes some leaks out but most is cancelled.

In a reflex speaker playing signals with frequencies lower than port resonance at these artificially raised voltage levels can do mechanical damage to woofer if it is overextended due to driving very low air pressure.

Unassisted speakers working in free air as designed will work harder to move the air and draw more current at same voltage signal.

My philosophy on break in is, I'm not a reviewer, I'm not in a hurry to finish by a deadline. I don't juggle gear so I will have this for a while. I can afford to wait and enjoy noticing how it improves. I just play music and let it come into its own in its own time. I do however take the opportunity to catch up on Rush, Kenton and Russian symphonies with new speakers.  :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 9 Sep 2021, 09:38 pm »
Quive,
There is other type of parallel connection useful to multiple drivers or Line Array, not sure if suit your case with a xover:

Quive

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2021, 12:03 am »
This is what I have learned over the last 2 weeks

thanks everyone, the "burning in" is now running 24 hours !

https://youtu.be/UuSOrjNxdSI

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2021, 02:04 am »
My philosophy on break in is, I'm not a reviewer, I'm not in a hurry to finish by a deadline. I don't juggle gear so I will have this for a while. I can afford to wait and enjoy noticing how it improves. I just play music and let it come into its own in its own time.

This works remarkably well.  :)

Quive

« Reply #27 on: 12 Sep 2021, 11:17 am »
This works remarkably well.  :)

Yes, but they sounded so dreadful when completed I would never use them again, I certainly would not suffer the years of 'burn in' awfulness on a promise of nirvana. So its this quick fix or bin them.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #28 on: 12 Sep 2021, 11:51 am »
Years?  :shake:

Quive

« Reply #29 on: 12 Sep 2021, 03:43 pm »
Years?  :shake:

yes years, 400 hours at 3 hours per weekend is 2 and a half years

Quive

« Reply #30 on: 12 Sep 2021, 03:44 pm »
all my metric construction info is now on dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jrpfjtkquk99c4s/AAAPImLadDH69SMElREZ4Oq4a?dl=0

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #31 on: 12 Sep 2021, 05:27 pm »
So if you are only playing them 3 hrs per weekend face to face out of phase, how long is that?  :scratch:

cementhead

« Reply #32 on: 15 Sep 2021, 10:22 pm »
The open baffle MTM section (the midrange drivers and the tweeter) are + to +, and the bottom, enclosed woofers are + to -

I do believe you are mistaken, as both the mids and lowers are wired in parallel. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #33 on: 15 Sep 2021, 11:30 pm »
yes years, 400 hours at 3 hours per weekend is 2 and a half years
The break-in is the kind of service the factory could have done for you.