Impressions of the new IeGO PC

ger546

• Industry Participant
Impressions of the new IeGO PC
« on: 9 Mar 2008, 06:57 pm »
Introduction:  I was flattered to be chosen to do a review after responding to David Wei’s post on AudioCircle soliciting a reviewer for his new IeGO power cord.  The alloyed wire and construction of his cable is exotic and intriguing with IeGO’s proprietary plugs.   It is available in both an alloyed copper and silver plated copper version. In spite of the fact that some consider the power cord affect voodoo, there’s no denying they can change the character of sound, and that they did.   So, when the cables were ready to ship, David notified me by Email with tracking number and 5 days later USPS delivered the package to my Houston home.  Thank you David for this opportunity. 

Info Link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50328.0

Initial impressions:  It’s a rarity that when you introduce a component to your system that right off the bat it’s a winner.  Such was the case with the quality built and packaged IeGO copper alloyed power cord.  The cables are heavy yet flexible and IeGO’s plugs provide a tight secure contact.

After about an 200+ hour burn-in the IeGo was introduced to the new ICE power amp.  Not intending a serious A/B listen, I frumped down in the chair with what I would consider a sonically mediocre CD that I liked anyway.  As it started up, wife followed suit and took the secondary chair.  Immediately something had changed, my attention became focused, then more so.  I looked at wife who was nodding “yes” and I smiled.

What have we here?  A PC that played well with a high powered,
unforgiving, dynamic power plant.  ICE power is and has been controversial and feeding it with totally neutral MAC Palladium ICs can be interpreted as suicide.   In some ways yes, but an ideal platform to judge a power cord, it reacts with sometimes wincing results.

Our previous Odyssey Stratos was “at home” with the brute VH Audio
Flavor 4, great increase in detail, focus, soundstage, and slam.  Not so with the ICE it became edgy and rough.  Next was the MAC PC on the Odyssey, nope it veiled everything…but it worked on the ICE.  Except one niggling problem that on many CDs strings and horns could easily step over the line in being a little too sharp and edgy.  Further, the mids were simply not as rich or full bodied as the core of the music.  Enter the IeGO PC, smile. 

Conclusion:  What did we hear?  First and most important the mids were liquid, richer….more musical.  Previously edgy strings and obnoxious horns were now pleasant, richer in color and texture.  There was no loss in that wonderful ICE detail or instrument separation in fact a discernable increase, with an increased soundstage all the way around.  And bam, the bass slam hit and was gone that fast.  Most importantly the soup had it’s crunch and distinct individual flavors but with a presentation of it all coming together as one, blended, and aged as a fine wine.

NB:  The silver plated version presents the same qualities but with
a slightly softer presentation.   As noted from David “best for components that tend to be bright”.  The copper remains on our system.

gme109

Re: Impressions of the new IeGO PC
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2008, 01:02 am »
Introduction:  I was flattered to be chosen to do a review after responding to David Wei’s post on AudioCircle soliciting a reviewer for his new IeGO power cord.  The alloyed wire and construction of his cable is exotic and intriguing with IeGO’s proprietary plugs.   It is available in both an alloyed copper and silver plated copper version. In spite of the fact that some consider the power cord affect voodoo, there’s no denying they can change the character of sound, and that they did.   So, when the cables were ready to ship, David notified me by Email with tracking number and 5 days later USPS delivered the package to my Houston home.  Thank you David for this opportunity. 

Info Link: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50328.0

Initial impressions:  It’s a rarity that when you introduce a component to your system that right off the bat it’s a winner.  Such was the case with the quality built and packaged IeGO copper alloyed power cord.  The cables are heavy yet flexible and IeGO’s plugs provide a tight secure contact.

After about an 200+ hour burn-in the IeGo was introduced to the new ICE power amp.  Not intending a serious A/B listen, I frumped down in the chair with what I would consider a sonically mediocre CD that I liked anyway.  As it started up, wife followed suit and took the secondary chair.  Immediately something had changed, my attention became focused, then more so.  I looked at wife who was nodding “yes” and I smiled.

What have we here?  A PC that played well with a high powered,
unforgiving, dynamic power plant.  ICE power is and has been controversial and feeding it with totally neutral MAC Palladium ICs can be interpreted as suicide.   In some ways yes, but an ideal platform to judge a power cord, it reacts with sometimes wincing results.

Our previous Odyssey Stratos was “at home” with the brute VH Audio
Flavor 4, great increase in detail, focus, soundstage, and slam.  Not so with the ICE it became edgy and rough.  Next was the MAC PC on the Odyssey, nope it veiled everything…but it worked on the ICE.  Except one niggling problem that on many CDs strings and horns could easily step over the line in being a little too sharp and edgy.  Further, the mids were simply not as rich or full bodied as the core of the music.  Enter the IeGO PC, smile. 

Conclusion:  What did we hear?  First and most important the mids were liquid, richer….more musical.  Previously edgy strings and obnoxious horns were now pleasant, richer in color and texture.  There was no loss in that wonderful ICE detail or instrument separation in fact a discernable increase, with an increased soundstage all the way around.  And bam, the bass slam hit and was gone that fast.  Most importantly the soup had it’s crunch and distinct individual flavors but with a presentation of it all coming together as one, blended, and aged as a fine wine.

NB:  The silver plated version presents the same qualities but with
a slightly softer presentation.   As noted from David “best for components that tend to be bright”.  The copper remains on our system.

Your conclusion of the silver plated version is in contrast to the manufactures.

"The silver plated version provided a slightly brighter sound with better imaging, focus and sound stage.  While the all copper/non-plated version provided a mellower sound with better decay.  I'd say the silver plating added about an overall score of 20% over the copper one. (if we consider copper as being 100%)"

Zyca

• Industry Participant
    • Acoustic Fun Web Store!
Re: Impressions of the new IeGO PC
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2008, 11:05 am »
Your conclusion of the silver plated version is in contrast to the manufactures.

"The silver plated version provided a slightly brighter sound with better imaging, focus and sound stage.  While the all copper/non-plated version provided a mellower sound with better decay.  I'd say the silver plating added about an overall score of 20% over the copper one. (if we consider copper as being 100%)"

Hello, I'm the guy who said that above.  Consider his situation, where the amp is already on the bright side, (which is why he mentioned that it could be suicide to use stuff that is too neutral on it.) this could very well be the case.

As well I have tested and reported the above difference on a Sony CDP-X5000 CDplayer that is working as a transport.  It happens to produce the results that I stated above.  Since everyone's system could be somewhat difference, and like adding the same ingredient into different pot of soup, the result could very well come out to be completely different.

This is one of the reason that I got two different offerings, some may need a bit of brightening, while some does not.  In my system, both seem to work quite well with silver come out ahead. ;)