Alnico - anyone moved from SET to solid state instead?

doggie

Re: Alnico - anyone moved from SET to solid state instead?
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm »
I have used a PP Leben tube amp, a couple of class D amps, a SE 300B amp, and now a First Watt SIT2 SE solid state amp with my Alnico Super's. The SIT2 was by far the best over all. The 300B had some magic that the First Watt did not however the bass was just too flabby. The SIT2 is just spooky in it's clarity and tonal purity.

I am going to ad a DHT tube preamp in the next week, A single 301A directly heated tube with a transformer output, to see if I can add just a pinch of tube DHT goodness.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #41 on: 23 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm »
I have used a PP Leben tube amp, a couple of class D amps, a SE 300B amp, and now a First Watt SIT2 SE solid state amp with my Alnico Super's. The SIT2 was by far the best over all. The 300B had some magic that the First Watt did not however the bass was just too flabby. The SIT2 is just spooky in it's clarity and tonal purity.

I am going to ad a DHT tube preamp in the next week, A single 301A directly heated tube with a transformer output, to see if I can add just a pinch of tube DHT goodness.

I would love to get my hands on a SIT-2 for a few days.  It is the SS I would look to first if I were to leave tubes.

Meanwhile, I just today received a Bantam Gold to power supertweeters, but I'm curious how it will sound powering my Omegas.

........Peter

Nailbunny7

« Reply #42 on: 24 Jul 2015, 02:44 am »
I've really always wanted to try the SIT amps by Pass Labs for the Omega Alnico speakers and a good tube preamp, but unfortunately, 5-10K USD is a bit much for my budget at the moment :)

doggie

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jul 2015, 01:50 am »
I've really always wanted to try the SIT amps by Pass Labs for the Omega Alnico speakers and a good tube preamp, but unfortunately, 5-10K USD is a bit much for my budget at the moment :)

I got mine used on Audiogon for about $2750 which was a really good price. Sold a J2 to get it.

They do not seem to come up very often. I imagine that people tend to keep them :-)

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jul 2015, 02:16 am »
I got mine used on Audiogon for about $2750 which was a really good price. Sold a J2 to get it.

They do not seem to come up very often. I imagine that people tend to keep them :-)

They are also very new so it may take a bit of time for them to flow to the used market.

.......Peter