Which amp?

Dsaldivar

Which amp?
« on: 21 Jun 2015, 09:43 pm »
Hi everyone!
Suppose I have an Omega speaker with a 95 db efficiency/sensitivity. According to the vast Omega owners in this forum 2 watts is ok.
Which amp will be more balanced across the frequency spectrum? That is from jazz to Mahler/Bruckner
A) EL84
B) 2A3
C) 300B
D) 45
E) EL34?
Thanks and Happy Father's Day!!! :D
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2015, 12:30 am by Dsaldivar »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Which amp?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2015, 10:17 pm »
It's impossible to say given just the output tube type, they are all capable of even frequency response. I would prefer a SET amp with no feedback and higher power, something like an Arte Forma 805 SET would be perfect imo.

I heard the system in the link, it was great. The amps were also used on some Scaena line arrays (~$200k ish) and from what I hear they were better than the VTL amps they were using... not surprising to me at all that a SET would beat out a kt88 pp amp but the VTLs have a very good rep.

I'd like to build something similar but that's on the back burner unfortunately...

http://www.arteformaaudio.com.tw/due-volte.html

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2015, 11:07 pm »
Your question is reasonable but overly simplistic.  Each of the tubes you have listed can sound wonderful and balanced in its own way.  However, each can sound different based on implementation.  There are general characteristics that each tube type generally presents, but depending on design and parts that house sound can vary.

That being said, if you are looking for a tube that is least euphonic you are really looking at the 45 or triode-wired EL84 out of your list.  Both will give you about 2 watts and the Decware Zen (EL84) is a known good quantity with Omega speakers.  A 300B may give you a more romantic sound and four times the power.  My own amp uses a 421a/5998 tube that ends up right in the middle between a 45 and 300B both in power (4.5 watts) and character.

steve f

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2015, 04:01 am »
We need more information. About your preferences. Your music, your room, how loud you want to play, etc. how much money do you wish to spend?

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2015, 04:46 am »
I've got a pair of Omega Super 3S that are about 20 months old - about 450 hours on them - so everything's broken in.

I've got it paired with a Dared 2A3C SET amp that I purchased from this seller when I bought the Omegas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dared-MP-2A3C-2a3-SET-tube-amp-new-US-limit-Ed-/261935360887?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfc906b77

My musical taste runs similar to yours -- jazz, classical - but also classic rock, 'world' music, new age - almost anything.

The sound of this combination is magnificent - great soundstage, detail, speed -- it's all there. And the price of the amp is pretty righteous - in fact, it's about 10% lower than when I bought it (likely due to currency fluctuations since then).

You won't be sorry … your ears and your heart and your soul will thank you.

Ultralight

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2015, 07:35 am »
Followed that ebay add.  He sounds hyperbolic in his enthusiasm. I would not be surprised that it will produce fine results given your experience.  But as good as the seller claims?  I wonder how this compares with the Decware equivalent....

UL

I've got a pair of Omega Super 3S that are about 20 months old - about 450 hours on them - so everything's broken in.

I've got it paired with a Dared 2A3C SET amp that I purchased from this seller when I bought the Omegas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dared-MP-2A3C-2a3-SET-tube-amp-new-US-limit-Ed-/261935360887?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfc906b77

My musical taste runs similar to yours -- jazz, classical - but also classic rock, 'world' music, new age - almost anything.

The sound of this combination is magnificent - great soundstage, detail, speed -- it's all there. And the price of the amp is pretty righteous - in fact, it's about 10% lower than when I bought it (likely due to currency fluctuations since then).

You won't be sorry … your ears and your heart and your soul will thank you.

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:27 pm »
Followed that ebay add.  He sounds hyperbolic in his enthusiasm. I would not be surprised that it will produce fine results given your experience.  But as good as the seller claims?  I wonder how this compares with the Decware equivalent....

UL

You're talking apples and applesauce.  Dared is an import product design to sell at retail.  Decware is a hand built and hand tuned product that sells direct, similar to Louis' speakers.  If the Decware option (SE EL84) does not appeal to you, there are a number of other boutique builders who will build an amp to a number of respected circuits using whatever parts work best in that circuit.  A gentleman on US Audiomart by the handle of Sonic Oli builds to a number of these circuits and is very talented.  HE built my Fi 421a clone and builds others based on JE Labs and Yamamoto desings.  Pricing ranges from about $900 - $1,700 depending on iron.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:38 pm »
Thanks for all  comments and suggestions!!  :)
Steve,
My room is about 12X19. I listen mostly to classical and jazz.  I figure that most of the time the music is playing at 85 to 95 db. It is impossible to listen Bruckner's 8th symphony at 70 db. It is just not the same. My budget is about $4000.00

Ultralight,
What is Decware's equivalent amplifier? He does not offer a 2A3 amp and all of  his units sell for more than $800.

Right now I have a Musical Paradise MP 301 MK3. It is a SE EL34. Not bad for $400 including upgraded tubes. Sometimes I feel I do not need anything else. I am really curious about a 300B amp.
Thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2015, 04:51 pm by Dsaldivar »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:55 pm »
$4k is how much those Arte Forma 805 SET amps go for....  :) But they will require a preamp.  Line Magnetic also makes higher powered SET amps that are a good value, also Melody, Coincident and Cary...

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2015, 04:12 pm »
I've used various versions of the Decware SE84 SET with Omegas for about six years and have no desire to change to something else.  If you want a true triode, I would look at the new Bottlehead Stereomour (if you're into building).

steve f

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2015, 05:54 pm »
Dsaldivar,

Can you solder and build kits?

One of the nicest solid state units available Is called The Amp Camp Kit designed by Nelson Pass. Availability is spotty, but it's really good.

The best tube amps I've found are also kits. Transcendent Sound amps are OTL and an order of magnitude better than any small SET. (feel free to PM me)

I strongly recommend researching these amps before buying anything.

steve

rebbi

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2015, 01:20 pm »
I built an Audio Note Kits "Kit 1" amp (300 B) and love it.

Nailbunny7

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2015, 03:47 pm »
Dsaldivar,

Can you solder and build kits?

One of the nicest solid state units available Is called The Amp Camp Kit designed by Nelson Pass. Availability is spotty, but it's really good.

The best tube amps I've found are also kits. Transcendent Sound amps are OTL and an order of magnitude better than any small SET. (feel free to PM me)

I strongly recommend researching these amps before buying anything.

steve

The OTL offerings by Transcendent Sound are alright, but let me give my opinion on them. I have studied the schematics and tried them out and here are my conclusions:
It does get around the need for an output transformer, which is nice, but at the cost of having to use several output tubes in parallel and an a lot of negative feedback to do it. It's certainly not bad, but also not worth it IMO, especially when you have to take into account the cost of replacing output tubes every so often.

I also don't agree that it is better than any SET amp. It really all comes down to design. As an example, the Decware items are good value compared to many of the boutique items sold these days. They are not the greatest thing around, but they are good value. I only wish they would calm down with the wild claims on their product pages.

I do agree with what you said about the DIY stuff though. Pretty much everything by Nelson Pass is extremely good, and the fact that he puts most of his designs out there for people to build makes it all the better. If you are into kits and want tubes though, I heartily recommend the Bottlehead kits. They are very well instructed and put together for the beginner to build, and they sound very good. I've built a few of their designs and have been quite satisfied with all of them. I also recommend the DIY kits from Pete Millet.

Everything I recommended is based on my use with my Alnico Monitors by Omega.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2015, 04:49 pm »
The OTL offerings by Transcendent Sound are alright, but let me give my opinion on them. I have studied the schematics and tried them out and here are my conclusions:
It does get around the need for an output transformer, which is nice, but at the cost of having to use several output tubes in parallel and an a lot of negative feedback to do it. It's certainly not bad, but also not worth it IMO, especially when you have to take into account the cost of replacing output tubes every so often.

I also don't agree that it is better than any SET amp. It really all comes down to design. As an example, the Decware items are good value compared to many of the boutique items sold these days. They are not the greatest thing around, but they are good value. I only wish they would calm down with the wild claims on their product pages.

I do agree with what you said about the DIY stuff though. Pretty much everything by Nelson Pass is extremely good, and the fact that he puts most of his designs out there for people to build makes it all the better. If you are into kits and want tubes though, I heartily recommend the Bottlehead kits. They are very well instructed and put together for the beginner to build, and they sound very good. I've built a few of their designs and have been quite satisfied with all of them. I also recommend the DIY kits from Pete Millet.

Everything I recommended is based on my use with my Alnico Monitors by Omega.

Yup, anytime someone says one topology is better than another my eyes glaze over...  :green:   It's all about implementation. If you want to build a superior SET amp check out John Broski's designs using his Aikido circuit as a driver, I'd put that design up against any amp.

The whole Crown XLS thing here on AC started when I posted about a friend replacing his Atmosphere OTLs with the Crowns on his Pipedream line arrays.  :icon_twisted:

steve f

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2015, 05:02 pm »
I will agree that Transcendent amps need a lot more tubes than a SET. And they arent for the tube rolling crowd either.