Omega 7XRS MK 2 Speakers

Hear Clifford Brown

Omega 7XRS MK 2 Speakers
« on: 18 Jul 2015, 07:14 pm »
Is this a current model?  I'd like to go back to low output tube amps, 2 to 8 watts, and thought this speaker might be a good option. 

RDavidson

Re: Omega 7XRS MK 2 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2015, 09:09 pm »
Yes it is Check out the Omega website.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2015, 11:55 pm »
Is this a current model?  I'd like to go back to low output tube amps, 2 to 8 watts, and thought this speaker might be a good option.
Perfect choice for flea powered SETs. http://omegaloudspeakers.com/super7xrsmk2.html

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2015, 01:29 am »
How much of an improvement would the Super Alnico Monitor be over the 7XRs Mk2?  I could buy the 7XRS for $1,000 asking price, maybe a little less, but for $900 more...

I have a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq subs that would be used with either.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:33 am »
How much of an improvement would the Super Alnico Monitor be over the 7XRs Mk2?  I could buy the 7XRS for $1,000 asking price, maybe a little less, but for $900 more...

I have a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq subs that would be used with either.
Clifford,
The 7XRS MK2 is $1495 not $1000.  The Monitor MK2 is $995.  The Super Alnico Monitor would be a considerable improvement over the 7 Series, but remember, stands worthy of this speaker aren't cheap.  With the 7XRS you don't have to buy stands.  As far as working with your Vandy's, all you can do is try, as you already have them.

roscoe65

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2015, 12:31 pm »
Clifford,
The 7XRS MK2 is $1495 not $1000.  The Monitor MK2 is $995.  The Super Alnico Monitor would be a considerable improvement over the 7 Series, but remember, stands worthy of this speaker aren't cheap.  With the 7XRS you don't have to buy stands.  As far as working with your Vandy's, all you can do is try, as you already have them.

Rob,

He's comparing the used prices for speakers currently for sale online.

Randy

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:14 pm »
Rob,

Randy is right.  7XRS MK2 up for sale at $1000 plus $90 for shipping.  If the Super Alinco Monitors are a considerable improvement, and I don't doubt they are, then I think I should wait until I can buy those.  That's a good point about factoring in the cost of stands.  The 24" two post heavy mass loaded stands I have won't work; the top plate is only 9" x 6".

I have no doubt the Vandy subs would work beautifully.  I've tried other subs and I'll never part with them.  They use three 8" drivers instead of one large driver which makes them very fast, and an internal 300 watt amp  Their unique connection method makes them blend seamlessly.

Jeff

mrvco

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2015, 07:34 pm »
I picked these up.  I was looking at going with an Omega monitor + sub combo, but decided that these would be a good introduction to Omega speakers with a relatively modest financial commitment.  I currently have a Velodyne HGS-10 sub, but I put that to the side until I can get myself attuned to the 7XRS's sound... which so far is exactly what I expected and at the same time a very different listening experience than any speaker that I've owned in the past (I had only heard single-driver speakers at RMAF).  Hopefully I'll have some time to play with positioning this weekend and do some more break-in since the previous owner had less than 50 hours on them.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2015, 03:51 pm »
but I put that to the side until I can get myself attuned to the 7XRS's sound... which so far is exactly what I expected and at the same time a very different listening experience than any speaker that I've owned in the past (I had only heard single-driver speakers at RMAF).

So when you say different, I am hoping that is a good thing right. :)

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2015, 01:06 pm »
..... The 24" two post heavy mass loaded stands I have won't work; the top plate is only 9" x 6"......

Jeff

Easily rectified.....

Just screw, or glue, or blu-tack a larger plate onto the existing.   It's what I do with my stands, when I
need to.

Or even replace it with the size plate you need, if not too onerous.

If you already own a set of pricey high quality stands that you like, I can't see getting another set of the same over this issue.   Assuming, of course, they are the correct height.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2015, 02:03 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I thought of that myself last week.

hdrider

« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2015, 01:10 am »
Clifford- we are loving our 7XRS's and 8'' subwoofer being driven from a Decware Rachael and Decware ZP3 phonostage. Amazing, hope you get them but don't make any decisions on them until you hit about 250 hours. After the first 50 they are good, around 100 sound really good and just worked up to oh my *^&^%$ these are amazing. Happy listening, Chris.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2015, 02:07 am »
Chris~ that's great, the Rachael is a wonderful amp.  I had a one about 18 months ago and used it with the 92 dB Coincident speakers which were in this room for about 5 years.

mrvco

« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2015, 02:23 am »
So when you say different, I am hoping that is a good thing right. :)

Definitely :)

They are easily the most revealing speakers that I've ever owned, so there are things that can be surprising, not only with less than stellar recordings, but also with quality recordings that I've listened to many, many times on a variety of systems.  I did put my sub back into the mix, but I believe I have the level set a bit lower than what I was running with my NHT Absolute Towers (which are optimized to be run with a sub).

I currently have a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated, but I'm itching to try a SET amp with these speakers (all in good time).

It won't be an easy decision as to whether spring for a deepOmega sub or a SET amp next.