Omega super 5 + deep hemp cube sub

andycsb

Omega super 5 + deep hemp cube sub
« on: 5 Apr 2015, 02:09 pm »
Need feedback for above mentioned combo. Anyone?

Seeking big image size, full/rich, warmish but not lacking in details and overall non fatiguing sound. Or sshould I be looking at newer offerings by omega (no sub).

Should do especially well with jazz vocals, acoustic instruments like guitar., wind and piano.

Thanks for your help.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Omega super 5 + deep hemp cube sub
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2015, 02:14 pm »
I think you will do well with that combo; 2 subs if possible or add a second later.

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2015, 04:20 pm »
I don't know if you have any Omega speakers yet - your post would imply that you do not.

Personally, I've found that I can get buy without a sub with my Omega Super 3S and a Dared 2A3C integrated amplifier, sourced from CDs. My musical tastes include yours (and much more - including classical and classic rock, etc.), and I do NOT find the Omegas lacking in any sense.

andycsb

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2015, 06:44 pm »
@opnly bafld...thanks...have you heard the super 5? They are discontinued. How about the sub? Any good?

@Capt. Yossarian....Yes, you are right...I don't own any Omega speakers yet. Actually, the 3xrs or the super 7 mk 2 monitor is about how much I would like to spend...but I may be able to stretch my budget to the super 7 mk 2 floorstander. Room is a bedroom...10 x 16 x 9. Treated...Bass traps in each corner of front wall and 1st and 2nd reflection points on side walls.  Since the super 5 is discontinued...I am wondering how they would stack up (super 5 + hemp cube sub...btw...used set) against the 3xrs or the super 7 mk 2 monitor...or even the super 7 mk2 floorstander. 

No longer listening critically....just background music (moderate volume though) when I am on the computer. Large image (instrument) size. full bodied vocals and non fatiguing sound quality would be priorty. As my tube integrated amp is on the forward side...I should avoid forward sounding speakers.

Anyone else who is familiar with omega speakers can chime in?

Thanks for your help.

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2015, 08:18 pm »
    I have Bipole RS5's and a pair of the 12 inch woofers. 

The best way to describe it is to imagine the RS5's as a 12 inch driver.

The strengths of the speaker are magnified. 

It does everything that you are looking for. 

It is not a matter of cranking up the Woofers,

It just fills out the sound with added weight and articulation.

It takes a great Driver and makes it better.   

andycsb

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2015, 09:24 pm »
@ZLS...Bipole RS5s are outlaws? In your opinion...which would work best (as per attributes I am seeking) in my small room...1)the super 3xrs floorstanders....2)super 7 mk 2 monitors 3) discontinued super5/sub combo? Or should I wait and save up for the super 7xrs mk 2 floorstanders?

Regards

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2015, 12:10 am »
Do you have stands or something to place the Super 5s on?
If you do, I think the monitor ~ dual subs will get you more of this for less money:

"Seeking big image size, full/rich, warmish but not lacking in details and overall non fatiguing sound."

I have owned several hemp and paper coned Omegas including the Super 3i.
With any of the small driver speakers I would still need/use subs.

ZLS

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2015, 03:40 am »
@ZLS...Bipole RS5s are outlaws? In your opinion...which would work best (as per attributes I am seeking) in my small room...1)the super 3xrs floorstanders....2)super 7 mk 2 monitors 3) discontinued super5/sub combo? Or should I wait and save up for the super 7xrs mk 2 floorstanders?

Regards

The advantage of an active bass is the amount of control you have in tailoring the sound to your room, and to your

particular tastes. 

In my highly inexpert opinion, I would stick with the 5's and add one (or two) 12 inch woofers. 

To answer your other question, the Bipole RS5's were one of the first outlaws. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2015, 03:17 pm »
Hi andycsb,

I assume you are referring to Super 5 Monitors?  What driver do they have in them?  Earlier Super 5s had HempCones and later Super 5s had the far superior RS5 driver.

andycsb

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2015, 07:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for your help!

@Canada Rob...They are the original HempCones. Incidentally....when were RS5 drivers available for retrofit? Thanks.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2015, 08:25 pm »
The RS5 driver has been available for retrofit for about 2-1/2 years.

DBC

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2015, 10:38 pm »
Need feedback for above mentioned combo. Anyone?

Seeking big image size, full/rich, warmish but not lacking in details and overall non fatiguing sound. Or sshould I be looking at newer offerings by omega (no sub).

Should do especially well with jazz vocals, acoustic instruments like guitar., wind and piano.

Thanks for your help.

Andycsb,

This might be of interest. I was helping a fellow audio enthusiast over at the Decware Site set up an Omega Deephemp cube he purchased used recently. Similar sized room, he has posted comments / impressions.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1427663671/0

roscoe65

« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2015, 11:20 pm »
"This might be of interest. I was helping a fellow audio enthusiast over at the Decware Site set up an Omega Deephemp cube he purchased used recently. Similar sized room, he has posted comments / impressions."

So that's the guy who sniped it away from me...