Salkstreamer - help turning optical out on

Saturn94

Re: Salkstreamer - help turning optical out on
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2019, 11:09 pm »
If you need a solution, I can keep looking for one.  The first thing would be to make sure it isn't muted.  That is easy for me to check if you'd like.

- Jim

No need, really, I was just curious.  :D

Optical and HDMI are working great on my Salkstream III, thanks to your help.  :thumb:

DEP14

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2019, 01:14 am »
So,

The long story...about nothing that pertains to much of anything other than being an audio geek. Read if bored, otherwise skip to the second half.  Really, it's just a long story about nothing.

I had an integrated amp (Levinson 585) that I had picked up on a killer deal.  Really had no need to buy it.  I've got some Pass separates that a friend did me a real solid on (XP12 and 250.8x).  I didn't really have the cash to buy those either, but was a killer deal I couldn't lose on. 

The flipside - it really kept me from saving for my "endgame" speakers, which for a time now have been SS12's (ever since I heard Marty's).  Well, for the money I just think the world of those speakers.  I travel for work a lot and like to demo a lot of Speakers.  I have my list of ones that I think are really good and the SS 12's have always been there.  But once I heard Marty's on the Pass Lab Electronics... it just works.

But alas... as we know, those are out of production.

So it also kept me from getting a decent streaming game going.  I have a Sony HAP Z1-ES loaded up with all my CD's ripped in FLAC.  It's STILL a great sounding player, but only has Spotify as an option for streaming.  I've waited and waited and bugged Sony, but no hi-res support.

So, the Levinson 585 has what is supposed to be a pretty killer internal DAC.  I took it over to Marty's house and we tried the salk streamer direct into the Levinson VIA USB... didn't work - ARGH!

Called Levinson before I went to pick up mine from Jim.  They said yes, Roon isn't supported at all via the USB - but optical will work.

So, Jim showed me everything to set-it up, then I demo'd the 9.5's.. (they are great!).

Came home and went to work on the optical out... which didn't work, leading to this thread.

Jim gave things a shot on Sunday, it didn't work.  Told him lets try on Monday.  Monday rolls around and my local store has an oppo sonica DAC still in house.  So, I picked it up and a new USB 2.0 cable.

So, for shits and grins before I plugged in the Sonica DAC - plugged it into the Levinson USB again - BOOM!   Suddenly Roon shows "Harman" as an ouput. 

Sure enough it worked, and it sounded good.

But then I had the Sonica - and I did some A/B demo's vs the internal DAC on the Levinson. 

The Sonica DAC for me, clear winner.  Wasn't even a question. (it uses the ESS 9038 pro chips and a huge power supply, doesn't do MQA which I don't care too much about).

So... sold off the Levinson the next day, and made a little cashola that more than covered the Sonica.

Will be selling the Sony HAP Z1-ES next (anyone interested in about 8200 FLAC tracks of Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, 80's, and Reggae... let me know as I'm selling it, it's a great unit and I would send a ripped drive of everything with it).

So, now in the midst of learning and playing with Roon and slowly migrating my ripped tracks to the Salk Streamer.

No need for me to get the optical up and running.

(I would love a function in the Salk App that would let me turn off that motherboard light and/or lock it at one color).  Would be nice to be able to turn on and off... but NOT remotely urgent Jim. (and I feel bad if Jim read this giant stream of consciousness).

Oh, Jim's new 9.5 demo's have the hand rubbed finish... always way cool.

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2019, 02:49 pm »
DEP14 -

(I would love a function in the Salk App that would let me turn off that motherboard light and/or lock it at one color).  Would be nice to be able to turn on and off... but NOT remotely urgent Jim. (and I feel bad if Jim read this giant stream of consciousness).

There is a BIOS setting under advanced settings for the RGB LED's. You should be able to turn them off.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2019, 02:50 pm »
DEP14 -

There is a BIOS setting under ADVANCED settings for the RGB LED's. You should be able to turn them off.

- Jim