jhm731

Another OEM NC1200
« on: 16 May 2013, 03:00 am »
This one looks like it's more than just stock modules in a fancy box:

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/audience-to-unveil-new-wavepower-amplifier/

Bubbleboy76

Re: Another OEM NC1200
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2013, 05:19 pm »
Is the nc1200 a half-bridge or full-bridge design?
I wonder if the nc1200 is a bridged nc400 conceptually?

Occam

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2013, 06:18 pm »
Is the nc1200 a half-bridge or full-bridge design?
Half bridge.

I wonder if the nc1200 is a bridged nc400 conceptually?
No, its not. The Nc400 is also a half bridge design.

jhm731

Re: Another OEM NC1200/Audience wavePower II
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2013, 02:01 am »
Here's a picture and some info:

Specifications:
400 watts @ 8 ohms
650 watts @ 4 ohms
1200 watts @ 2ohms
100k ohm input impedance
Output impedance – less than 3 milliohms
Signal to noise ratio – greater than 128 db
Output switching frequency - 480Khz
Power bandwidth – DC to 35kHz + 3dB
Distortion – less than .004%, 20 Hz – 20 KHz @ full rated power
Efficiency – 93% at full power

Features:
Audience exclusive Ohno wire input transformer for noise rejection, safety and true balanced or single ended input.
Exclusive Audience input circuitry designed for utmost resolution and lowest distortion.
Exclusive Audience aR-TS power conditioner
New Neutrik 20 Amp Powercon power connectors
Magnetic breaker power switch
Puresonic input & output connectors
WBT binding posts
Audience exclusive Auric Ohno point to point hand wired throughout
Audience exclusive Au24 SE powerChords

Dimensions:
13.75” wide
9.75” deep
3.9” high
Weight - 9.5 lbs (not including power cord)

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2013, 11:27 am »
Supposedly $18k, but they include a power cord.  :lol:

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2013, 12:33 pm »

How much are the parts alone worth, do you think? Not saying that there aren't other costs, but I'm curious.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2013, 01:24 pm »
Hard to say since Hypex only offers those to OEM builders. I'm not playing the is it worth the money game, just thought it amusing the bit I saw specifically mentioned the power cord.

The addition of the Audience does raise the bar on price though. Now the range is $9k to $18k, like everything else value is in the eye of the beholder and of course their wallet.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2013, 01:56 pm »
Seems like it would be worth it. Looks to be an ultimate model of 1200, with every bell and whistle.

jhm731

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2013, 02:18 pm »

The retail on a 5 foot AU24 SE powerChord is over $2K.

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2013, 02:42 pm »
In the land of $2k power cords and magic isolation pucks that cost $5600 (for the 8 required for a set of speakers), $9k for this amp doesn't sound expensive.  I'm not willing to pay this much but I'm sure they will find some guys more than willing.  This case is my least favorite if the group.

Maybe they can get Kramer to make some nicer cases for them.

neekomax

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2013, 02:50 pm »
In the land of $2k power cords and magic isolation pucks that cost $5600 (for the 8 required for a set of speakers), $9k for this amp doesn't sound expensive.  I'm not willing to pay this much but I'm sure they will find some guys more than willing.  This case is my least favorite if the group.

Maybe they can get Kramer to make some nicer cases for them.

Uh, I think the amp is $18k.

I agree, the case is pretty meh. If I had a super duper high end amp company, I'd hire an Italian industrial design firm to do the cases, sumpm like that.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2013, 03:40 pm »
Uh, I think the amp is $18k.

I think jackman was referring to $9K for a single mono box compared to $2K for a single power cord.  Audience products have always been pricey, so I'm not at all surprised.

I agree, the case is pretty meh. If I had a super duper high end amp company, I'd hire an Italian industrial design firm to do the cases, sumpm like that.

You have to admit that the look differentiates it from any other amplifier on the market, and they did use restraint with the size of the subtle engraving so as not to make it look like the tailgate of a pickup truck.  :wink:

Steve

neekomax

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2013, 04:02 pm »
I think jackman was referring to $9K for a single mono box compared to $2K for a single power cord.  Audience products have always been pricey, so I'm not at all surprised.

You have to admit that the look differentiates it from any other amplifier on the market, and they did use restraint with the size of the subtle engraving so as not to make it look like the tailgate of a pickup truck.  :wink:

Steve

Ha, yes, good point  :lol:

If I'm asking for that kind of cash, my design will make the editorial staff of Architectural Digest weep with envy.

Turk

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2013, 04:42 pm »
I am puzzled why you would mate an $18K set of monoblocks with your next to least expensive speaker at an audio show?  Audience has more expensive speakers clearly; the 8+8.  It makes little sense to put a state of the art amplifier with your next to the bottom of the line speakers.

I doubt anyone will pair $25K worth of electronics with $2K speakers.   So, what am I missing?

srb

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2013, 04:50 pm »
I doubt anyone will pair $25K worth of electronics with $2K speakers.   So, what am I missing?

I doubt anyone would either, not to mention that the ClairAudient ONE speaker has a Max RMS Continuous Power rating of 25W!  I believe in reserves and headroom, but ......

Steve

Turk

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2013, 05:08 pm »
Good point.  One of the other positives about the NC1200 is their ability to control large woofers.  Granted, Audience sells no such beast, but that is in itself odd that the 20-40hz range in which I have heard the NC1200s shine, leads to a strange development in amplifier design when mated to most of the companies speakers either by cost, 1+1 or design 8+8 (no low bass.)

Compare to Sanders and his Electrostatics.  He designs his amp around his speakers.  No issues with anyone who chooses to design speakers and amps.  I am just used to greater comparability between products.

I must assume this is much more of a case of jumping on the Hypex bandwagon.  And that is OK, too, just a little out of line with what speaker/amplifier designers/manufacturers are apt to do. 

ufokillerz

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2013, 05:29 pm »
i have my pair of Merrill Veritas paired to my AV123 LS6, the amps are a lot more costly then the speakers.

HighRez

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2013, 12:52 am »
Lets see the GUTS of this thing!!!    :icon_twisted:

Its interesting that none of the OEM companies have been willing to show what's under the covers yet. Maybe they have and I just missed it. Mola Mola has shown the GUTS of theirs though.

While I would certainly welcome the opportunity to hear a properly implemented set of NC1200 amps I just can't get the Hamster in my skull to run fast enough for me to understand how they can sound $13K better than a multi amp NC400 setup if its believed that the extra power is the main reason folks are reporting them being better. I'm fine with that though and maybe just a bit jealous that I'll never know  :cry:

srb

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2013, 01:25 am »
I would think they would want to show it if there is some kind of additional proprietary circuitry to differentiate it from from those that don't have any.

Acoustic Imagery doesn't have an internals photo of their NC1200 Atsah on their website, but a 6 Moons review does.  Beside the standard NC1200 module and SMPS, there is a third board that is connected to the incoming AC line, then the SMPS is powered from that.  I assume some kind of additional AC line filtering and/or soft start, but no mention of it either on their website or the 6 Moons review.  Anyone know specifically what it is?

Steve

Acoustic Imagery NC Atsah monoblock
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm by srb »

lowtech

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2013, 02:08 am »
It's exactly what you thought - a soft-start circuit.  In fact, it sure looks like the generic Hypex board that they sell in their web shop for $65.  http://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=1474