Changing from XLR to RCA input for D200s

mfsoa

Changing from XLR to RCA input for D200s
« on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:45 am »
Dusty,
If I want to have my XLR inputs changed to RCAs, do I just send in my D200s with a note and a check for $100 or do I need an RA first?

Thanks

CIAudio

Re: Changing from XLR to RCA input for D200s
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:47 am »
Dusty,
If I want to have my XLR inputs changed to RCAs, do I just send in my D200s with a note and a check for $100 or do I need an RA first?

Thanks

That'll work  :)

AK

• twisterspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2007, 07:13 pm »
why would someone want to change balanced connectors to unbalanced?
isn't it better just to buy xlr - rca cables and have an option of going back to balanced at any time.

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2007, 08:07 pm »
AK,
I see what you mean, and I'm still somewhat on the fence on this, but my reasons are:
1) I have RCA outs on my preamp and I know it's not going anywhere for a long while.
2) I've been using RCA->XLR adapters and would rather not have the extra connection in the way.
3) Just recently I made some RCA->XLR cables using Vampire XLRs. While I think they sound good, they are home brew so it's hard to tell because I could only compare it to other custom-made cables, which I don't have.
4) It's tough to evaluate cables since I need custom sets wired. Any custom cable I had made would be of lower resale value and may be non-returnable if the mfg had a trial period. I'd like to have the ability to try different cables without having them custom-wired.
5) Sonically, inside the D200s I don't think it cares if it has XLR or RCA inputs.
6) Possible better resale on the D200s if RCA (Maybe, maybe not)

Reasons to keep them XLR:
A) As you said, but see 1)
B) It costs $100.

I still haven't sent them back to Dusty, although they are boxed up ready to go due to re-doing my room.

Anyone else have pro/con opinions that I may not have considered?

Thanks

-Mike

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2007, 05:13 pm »
7) Someday I dream of using passive high pass filters before the amps, and these (from ACI) come in RCA in and out.

If it's a mistake to change to RCA inputs, why any mfgr would ever use them?

I don't see future compatibility with balanced preamps being a reason why the industry should abandon RCA inputs on thier amps.

(And yes, the input on the D200s is a true balanced input, but I don't think Dusty would use inferior sounding RCAs without telling us.  Would you, Dusty?)

-Mike

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2007, 05:33 pm »
7) Someday I dream of using passive high pass filters before the amps, and these (from ACI) come in RCA in and out.

If it's a mistake to change to RCA inputs, why any mfgr would ever use them?

I don't see future compatibility with balanced preamps being a reason why the industry should abandon RCA inputs on thier amps.

(And yes, the input on the D200s is a true balanced input, but I don't think Dusty would use inferior sounding RCAs without telling us.  Would you, Dusty?)

I assume the high pass filter is just a capacitor. You can do the same thing by soldering the cap inside the chassis right at the RCA jack, and eliminate a few connections vs the plug-in type. This also allows you to choose the cap type. Simply calculate the cap value based on the desired cutoff frequency and the 100k input impedance.
The Neutrik RCA's are very high-quality.

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2007, 02:10 am »
Dusty,
Sorry for the dumb question but I haven't shipped much gear around-

How is the return shipping paid for?

Does the $100 cover it?
Is there such thing as round-trip-ticket from UPS?
Do I estimate and add to the $100?
Do I send you the # for my Swiss account?

Thanks

-Mike

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2007, 03:40 am »
Sorry for the dumb question but I haven't shipped much gear around-

Does the $100 cover it?
Is there such thing as round-trip-ticket from UPS?
Do I estimate and add to the $100?
Do I send you the # for my Swiss account?

The $100 covers parts & labor only.

mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:45 am »
Ok, maybe I'll try one more time...

Thanks