D-200 & D-500 get a New Look!

CIAudio

D-200 & D-500 get a New Look!
« on: 23 Sep 2013, 06:52 pm »
Our D-200MKII & D-500MKII now have a new look!

We have a new CI logo machined into the front panel, along with laser engraved text and serial number.
The front panel is engraved in a light finish so text can be seen close-up, but disappears at a distance for a nice clean look. We also added a new illuminated stainless steel on/off switch.

The rear panel is also laser engraved, but a darker color for contrast making it easy to read for making connections.
We also used blind stand-offs on the left side of the chassis so no screws are seen on the outside.

« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2013, 03:59 pm by CIAudio »

dminches

Re: D-200 & D-500 get a New Look!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2013, 06:57 pm »
Dusty, very nice.

How bright is the power light?

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2013, 07:04 pm »
Dusty, very nice.

How bright is the power light?

In the photo, it is actually plugged in (not done in photoshop).
It's bright enough to see that it is on, but not so bright that it lights up the room... we adjusted the brightness to match our other products.

DaveBSC

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2013, 04:53 am »
Very nice. My only complaint is the power switch, it looks like an off the shelf Bulgin type. I would definitely prefer something flush mounted or at least a little more custom looking. Ayre is using similar switches lately and I don't like theirs either.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:00 am »
DaveBSC,
People like you are the exact reason I am glad I will NEVER be a manufacturer of anything.

CIAudio

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:30 pm »
Very nice. My only complaint is the power switch, it looks like an off the shelf Bulgin type. I would definitely prefer something flush mounted or at least a little more custom looking. Ayre is using similar switches lately and I don't like theirs either.

The switch is custom made for us in the UK (not off the shelf).
Sorry you don't like it, but we can't please everyone.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:42 pm »
Sorry you don't like it, but we can't please everyone.
The truth of the day! 

Look forward to meeting you at RMAF.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2013, 01:55 pm »
I like the look  :D

Best,
Matt 

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2013, 03:54 pm »
Thanks Matt!

Your opinion is highly valued coming from a fine machinist  :)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2013, 04:06 pm »
Nice Bulgin switch Dusty!

Love the new look...

Best,
Anand.

DaveBSC

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2013, 05:31 am »
Lol. For the record I think most of the design is very nice, as I said. My issue with the switch is that basically everyone uses switches that look pretty much exactly like that, even if they aren't that exact switch, in DIY amps. Bulgins are affordable and high quality switches, which is why they are so popular with the DIY crowd. They also happen to look basically identical to that switch, which is what rubs me the wrong way a bit. I'm being nitpicky, what can I say.

The other reason DIYers like them is that the light is contained in the switch, that means you don't have to put an extra hole in the front panel and mount a separate LED power light. I prefer an un-lit switch with a very small separate power light, I think it looks classier.

Accuphase makes some of the absolute highest performance, best sounding components in the world, and their preamps and integrateds look like glorified Pioneer receivers. Would that stop me from buying one? Absolutely not. That doesn't mean I can't critique the look.

DaveBSC

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:20 pm »
An example of really excellent front panel design is Belles. They don't look like mass produced Musical Fidelity or Arcam stuff, nor do they look like something you can get from a component shop. They've really nailed the low volume, botique look without the low volume, botique price of somebody like Karan or Pass.

dminches

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:24 pm »
It isn't appropriate to post pictures of another company's equipment and gush over it in this forum.  This is a CI Audio forum, not a general forum.

Please take it elsewhere.  You should have stopped after your first post, or maybe even before it.

CIAudio

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:40 pm »
DaveBSC,

The simple toggle switch and an LED is certainly another way to do it... similar arrangement to what we had before.
You'll see this on many more products than the type of switch we use, and to me it's a much more generic look.

You obviously get to voice your opinion, but lucky for me... everyone else likes it  :D
As I mentioned before, we can't please everyone... so we try to please the majority.
It's nothing against you... just the way it works.

mca

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2013, 05:26 pm »
I thought it was all about what's on the inside, not how a switch looks.

CIAudio

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2013, 05:37 pm »
I thought it was all about what's on the inside, not how a switch looks.

Audio products should be chosen by what best fit's a customers needs. Performance/sound quality being the 1st criteria, but reliability, heat, power consumption, physical size, appearance, customer service, and other factors are also considered when making an expensive purchase.
However, this thread IS about the new look.

DaveBSC

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2013, 05:50 pm »
It isn't appropriate to post pictures of another company's equipment and gush over it in this forum.  This is a CI Audio forum, not a general forum.

Please take it elsewhere.  You should have stopped after your first post, or maybe even before it.

Just an example of what I see as good design, not any attempt to promote another manufacturer. I'm a fan of CIAudio, and I'm just giving what I see as constructive feedback. I hope this is not like certain other forums where anything with even the vaguest whiff of criticism is immediately washed down the memory hole, to allow for uninterrupted praising. I think both customers and manufacturers ultimately benefit when people are allowed to be honest.

Ultimately whether I would choose to buy CIA's amps has nothing to do with whatever power switch Dusty wants to use, the sound is what's important. There are plenty of manufacturers (I won't name any names) that throw most of the price of a component into the casework, and that's definitely not a route I want to see CIA travel. This indeed IS a thread about the look however, and that's what I think of the look. A-, very nice, I would've gone with a different power switch. The end.

roxito

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2013, 10:36 am »
Personally, I think the new look is very nice and a huge step from the old look. I never liked the old look. Nevertheless I find DaveBSC's comments quite insightful. Looks like he has developed a very sharp eye for such little detail.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2013, 01:36 pm »
Dusty very nice work, DaveBSC shame on you, on several counts  :nono:

wisnon

« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2013, 02:18 pm »
Guy, what's up?