Questions about the Tap-X

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Questions about the Tap-X
« on: 13 Dec 2008, 12:43 am »
Mr. Chapman, I've viewed your website more than a few times and fantasized about getting 1 of your passives.  :drool: A couple of questions.  Is there any way to get the active buffer mode in a 1 input Tap-X? The input impedances seem a little low compared to other passive pres. Why is that? What is the output impedance of the Slagleformer Tap-X?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: Questions about the Tap-X
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2008, 02:22 pm »
Hello!

Thanks for the questions.

The sub output and buffer circuits are on the same board as the 6 input stuff. That is why those two kinda go together. The buffer and sub output level control circuits account for about 1/2 of the $600 difference in price between a single input unit and the full featured six input unit. While it is possible to make a unit with only one input and include the sub out and buffers, etc I chose to keep the number of options down and just do the simplest of options and then the full set of connection as the other option.

I would not say Dave's autoformers are necessarily harder to drive than a typical passive but they do like to see a source with out impedances of about 600 ohms or less (that's the numer I use anyway). This was a deliberate sonic design decision that Dave made - ie it could have been made to work better with extreme high output imp sources but he felt that the sonic trade-off to do it was not a good one.  Every passive makes this same choice in one way or another. In the resistor passive world for example you'd like on one hand use 100K impedances so any source would be just fine driving it while at the same time you'd like to use a 1K or less value so the output impedance will do a good job of driving the cable and amp input.

Dave may want to chime in if he happens to spot this.

Thansk!

John

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2008, 11:25 pm »
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Telstar

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2008, 04:05 pm »
Hello John,

I use this same thread to ask my questions.

1) How does the Autoformer-based TAP-X sounds respect the old S&B TVC?

2) My power amp is a Firstwatt F3, which has low imput impedance (10 KOhm). I did some research and to drive it well i need an active or buffered preamp, with lots of current. Interconnects lenght is pretty low (<75cm) and can be even less from pre to amp. Would the TAP-X be a good match?

3) And, would the buffer (with or without the extra inputs that I dont need) addition be a better option for me?

Thanks in advance.

The sub output and buffer circuits are on the same board as the 6 input stuff. That is why those two kinda go together. The buffer and sub output level control circuits account for about 1/2 of the $600 difference in price between a single input unit and the full featured six input unit. While it is possible to make a unit with only one input and include the sub out and buffers, etc I chose to keep the number of options down and just do the simplest of options and then the full set of connection as the other option.