Can the screen be removed from the FST?

warnerwh

« on: 23 Apr 2005, 05:01 am »
The reason I ask is it seems to me that this screen would bounce back a considerable amount of energy.  Also it appears that it's just there for safety.  And if it can be removed, how?

gongos

« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2005, 06:34 am »
Use your thumb and index finger to pull it off.

Florian

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2005, 09:58 am »
Does it really make a big difference?

-Flo

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
screen
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2005, 01:58 pm »
To remove the screen you will have to take the faceplate off which means destroying the foam masks.  The faceplate is held on by four hex screws  Once you have the faceplate off turn it over and you can remove the screen easily.  Then replace the faceplate.  Be careful not to touch the diaphragm since it is easily damaged--which is why the screen is there in the first place.

gongos

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2005, 06:44 pm »
Whoops, I thought you were talking about the plastic film over the FST.

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2005, 07:23 pm »
I was just curious if anybody has tried this. Being that the diaphram only weighs 15 milligrams I'm not willing to take the risk.

audiochef

screen removal
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2005, 08:12 pm »
warnerwh,

don't  tempt  this! The magnets are so strong  that  they will atract any metalic particles like screws so will damage the tweeter.

BrunoB

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2005, 02:28 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
I was just curious if anybody has tried this. Being that the diaphram only weighs 15 milligrams I'm not willing to take the risk.

It is just piece of aluminium foil.   I removed the foam, the faceplate and the screen.   I made my own ribbons using 9 to 10 microns thick aluminium foil (Dollar General ) using spaghettis for the corrugations (Food Lion) :mrgreen:. It was kind of fun to do that  but I would not recommend anyone to do so ...

Bruno

BrunoB

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2005, 02:29 am »
Quote from: warnerwh

It is just piece of aluminium foil.   I removed the foam, the faceplate and the screen.   I made my own ribbons using 9 to 10 microns thick aluminium foil (Dollar General ) using spaghettis for the corrugations (Food Lion) :mrgreen:. It was kind of fun to do all that  but I would not recommend anyone to do so ...

Bruno