The Bully

Tom899

Re: The Bully
« Reply #80 on: 8 May 2024, 11:17 am »
Just wondering? and Sorry, this may be a little long explaining where I'm at and where I want to be in my quest for a new set of L,R speakers for my system.

My Home theater is in my basement. It's a larger size room, maybe 1200 Sq Ft. I have a 7.3.6 speaker configuration. I have a 134" screen with (2) Klipsch RP8000F speakers with Danny's crossover and No-Rez upgrades. The upgrades were a big improvement. I also use my system for two channel stereo, so I'm only concerned about my L,R with this conversation. For power I have Emotiva amps and Anthem AVM 70 processor. My (4) theater seating is 13' away from L,R. My screen and L,R speakers are between two walls, so speaker width can't be too wide (maybe 14" max) or will interfere with screen viewing. I use a Denafrips DAC for two channel. The clarity is really good, but, I'm looking for better non-fatiguing, less straining female voice at higher volume than I think the RP8000F is capable of. At first I was thinking of the NX-Otica, but having to bring them out 3', the 17" width, and the recommendation to have open baffle subs, probably not the best choice for me? Let me explain my current sub situation. As can imagine, having a very large open room, trying to have your HT in a section of it, and pressurize it so it sounds decent in my four theater seating is challenging! I've been dealing with it for some years. I finally got it pretty good. I use REW to measure. So, I have (3) subs, all ported. (2) HSU subs in the front sitting on the inside of my L,R speakers, and (1) SVS sub behind my seating (this arrangement fixed some problem dips). All subs are time aligned with a miniDSP 2x4 HD. This dialed everything in, not perfect but good, with good response from 15Hz up.

This brings me to thinking about speaker choice. I'm a firm believer in Danny's crossover upgrades and high quality parts. So, I'm looking for a Gr-Research speaker kit, no more store bought. The new Bully really intrigues me. I'm thinking the Bully will integrate well with my system? And the 14" width is at my max. To recap, I want more high volume clarity in the voice department, and sometimes would like to hear drums like a live event! My current Klipsch doesn't quite get me there (maybe I'm chasing a rabbit?).
Speaker recommendations please, next step up from my RP8000F's

I've included a picture of my listening space from my approximate seating distance, about 13'.
Thank you,
Tom

WGH

« Reply #81 on: 8 May 2024, 11:34 pm »
... and sometimes would like to hear drums like a live event!

That's hard to do. The only time I heard lifelike drums from a speaker was the Legacy Audio speaker demo at the 2012 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. At the end of the demo they played Dynamic Drums from the Legacy Music Sampler Vol. 1 CD they were giving away free at the show.

"The final cut, as listed on the CD jacket, caught my eye: "Dynamic Drums" by Damien Kaplan, which was recorded at the Legacy Audio Studio. I have to admit a fondness for demo tracks that feature drums--remember that great audiophile chestnut The Sheffield Drum Record from the '80s? That LP kicked major butt. I won't even mention that Kodo CD with the giant drum that falls onto the stage--heard through a pair of Infinity IRS Betas, that was the first time I ever felt the legs of my jeans flap from the low frequency energy. So I hit track number 12, sat back, and waited to be impressed.

"Oh my. I was not disappointed by "Dynamic Drums." Dynamic is an understatement. Played on what sounds like a conventional drum kit, this track starts off very quietly, with a majority of the beats done gently with Mr. Kaplan's fingernails on the drum heads. Then we hear some muted work on the cymbals that are glorious in the depth of the decay. Finally, there's a loud whack! as Kaplan strikes his snare with full force. He does it again. Then he launches into full attack for the remainder of the track's five minutes, and all I can say is this is what a real drum kit would sound like if stationed in my listening room."
http://thevinylanachronist.blogspot.com/2012/05/great-little-music-sampler-from-legacy.html

The speakers demoed were a lot bigger than the Bully's so you may have to temper your expectations.

Tom899

« Reply #82 on: 9 May 2024, 01:21 am »
Wow, great drum experience! Yes, live drums are stretching it I’m sure. Hoping for some Bully experience, maybe there aren’t many out there yet.
Thanks

Tom899

« Reply #83 on: 9 May 2024, 12:04 pm »
Okay, maybe my original post is too long/too much information...

What I would basically like to know, maybe Danny can help?

Which of your speaker kits will work with my speaker location restrictions?

I have 18" from each wall to my screen, and 35" from the back wall to speaker front. I can't really bring the speakers forward anymore as thy will block the screen viewing from my outer seating, I have 4 theater seats.

Also, behind the black velvet curtain material is acoustic panels and corners have bass traps top to bottom

I'm looking for next step up from my modified Klipsch RP8000F. Mostly in higher volume voice listening.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #84 on: 9 May 2024, 04:11 pm »
Plenty of space because the Bully's are sealed.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #85 on: 9 May 2024, 11:19 pm »
That room looks like it was made for the Bully speaker.  If you want to "pressurize" things... you're getting a couple additional subs.  You may end up where you can sell the your other subs, in addition to the Klipsch speakers, to offset cost.  You could have separate DSP settings for 2-channel and then cranking up the "pressurization" for movies.

Danny Richie

« Reply #86 on: 10 May 2024, 12:22 am »
Both the Brutes and Bully's will work really well for you.

The Bully's will beat up and push around those speakers WGH posted about too.

Tom899

« Reply #87 on: 10 May 2024, 03:05 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I now feel confident the Bully is a good match for my system.