Anything Bravo

Neo

Anything Bravo
« on: 8 Sep 2021, 10:01 pm »
Bravo Kit is shipping. I'm new to the site and didn't see this topic (can't search yet) so thought I would throw it up. I'm a newbie here and out of the DIY for many years. Looking for a good picture of a finished Bravo Crossover with upgraded Sonicaps and Miflex Copper Bypass Caps. Plan "A" is to try and build my cabinets from scratch. 

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Re: Anything Bravo
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2021, 04:46 am »
Neo,
I tried to private message you but your brand new member status doesn't let you receive messages yet.  I dont have a clean picture that will help you but I can provide you with a scale layout drawing that shows the components and wire connections in a correct layout.  I have provided the same assist to others and a layout drawing showing actual components and connections is very easy to follow.  Even better than a photo.

Email me at elon@ezeescrossovers.com

Elon

ezeescrossovers.com

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2021, 02:36 pm »
Danny has just recently finished building a pair of Bravos and shot several videos for the assembly process, so those videos should be launching soon.

Neo

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2021, 10:29 pm »
Replying to E-Zee
I will send you an e-mail with "Anything Bravo" in the subject line.

Neo

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2021, 10:31 pm »
Replying to Hobbsmeerkat
Thanks looking forward to the videos.

Neo

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2021, 03:12 pm »
Caution to all the newbies', Respect your parts. Resisters can break, was standing at my desk and dropped this resistor onto my desk, landed flat and crack! I'll be more careful now. GR-Research was responsive and very nice about this replacement part. Good to work with a company that picks up the phone after the sale!

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2021, 10:05 pm »
Nice one!

I broke a lead off a cap :duh:

You get to see the inside of the part so that's cool.

Neo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2021, 02:14 pm »
Nice one!

I broke a lead off a cap :duh:

You get to see the inside of the part so that's cool.

Ha, that is true!

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2021, 01:57 pm »
The Bravo assembly video is up.

Neo

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2021, 08:16 pm »
The Bravo assembly video is up.
That is great news. Looking forward to watching the video.

Neo

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2021, 01:52 pm »
Is it safe to use this Soldering "Torch"? Is it to hard to control the temperature that I would risk damaging Crossover parts? Dug this Torch Soldering gun out of my storage.
Anyone have experience / opinion on this?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2021, 02:55 pm »
The key is going to be to heat up and get off quick enough so you don't telegraph heat where you don't want it. I have a similar torch/ iron, but never got the chance to use it for crossovers or the like. It died and Master Appliance was less than good with their support.

I'd experiment a little first.

Neo

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2021, 05:27 pm »
Cross Over Question. Are the Sonicap Capacitors directional? How critical is it to have a specific input and specific output side to this capacitor?
Here is a picture of my Cross-Over before Soldering. The 9 UF Sonicap may be situated backwards.
I started to unwind the wires and I was afraid they were going to break so I stopped and posted my question here.
Holding off on soldering until I get an answer here.

« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2021, 11:26 pm by Neo »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2021, 06:07 pm »
None of our crossover components are directional.

So you're good.

It's recommended to keep the input to the left of ghe text. But it wont hurt to have it backwards.

Neo

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2021, 08:04 pm »
None of our crossover components are directional.

So you're good.

It's recommended to keep the input to the left of ghe text. But it wont hurt to have it backwards.
Thank You

Neo

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2021, 10:29 pm »
X-Overs mostly done.
Time to plan some worthy Speaker Cabinets.

« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2021, 11:30 pm by Neo »

Neo

« Reply #16 on: 21 Oct 2021, 04:30 pm »
How critical is the overall cabinet dimension? If I shrink the overall dimensions down by 1/4 inch would that adversely affect the sound?
I am thinking I would like to put a hard wood end grain pattern on the outside of the cabinet, like a 3D cutting board but cut to 1/4 inch instead and applied to the outside of the MDF cabinet. If I use 3/4 inch MDF and then add 1/4 hardwood that would be a pretty thick and larger cabinet. To keep the overall outside dimensions the same as the drawing, which I would like to do, space is a factor and 1 inch panels seems excessive, I'm thinking I have two options, 1) use 1/2 MDF for cabinet then apply the 1/4 Hardwood 2) use 3/4 MDF, reduce overall MDF dimensions by 1/4 inch, then apply 1/4 hard wood.
Any more wood workers have any suggestions?

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2021, 01:52 pm »
How critical is the overall cabinet dimension? If I shrink the overall dimensions down by 1/4 inch would that adversely affect the sound?
I am thinking I would like to put a hard wood end grain pattern on the outside of the cabinet, like a 3D cutting board but cut to 1/4 inch instead and applied to the outside of the MDF cabinet. If I use 3/4 inch MDF and then add 1/4 hardwood that would be a pretty thick and larger cabinet. To keep the overall outside dimensions the same as the drawing, which I would like to do, space is a factor and 1 inch panels seems excessive, I'm thinking I have two options, 1) use 1/2 MDF for cabinet then apply the 1/4 Hardwood 2) use 3/4 MDF, reduce overall MDF dimensions by 1/4 inch, then apply 1/4 hard wood.
Any more wood workers have any suggestions?

I'd keep the measurements the same and just add a layer of the hardwood plus increase the radius on all corners, or use 1/2" MDF and 1/4" hardwood.

Neo

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2021, 03:15 pm »
I'd keep the measurements the same and just add a layer of the hardwood plus increase the radius on all corners, or use 1/2" MDF and 1/4" hardwood.
When you say, "increase the radius on all corners" could you clarify that for me? Is that only if I choose to have 1" panels (3/4" MDF + 1/4 Hardwood)? Do you mean to router along all outside joint edges down or the inside baffle holes, both?
Please clarify, just learning the verbiage here.
If I choose to use 1/2" MDF and 1/4" end grain hardwood for 3/4" panels would I still need to "increase the Radius"?
I will keep internal dimensions as drawn in the plan.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2021, 06:05 pm »
When you say, "increase the radius on all corners" could you clarify that for me? Is that only if I choose to have 1" panels (3/4" MDF + 1/4 Hardwood)? Do you mean to router along all outside joint edges down or the inside baffle holes, both?
Please clarify, just learning the verbiage here.
If I choose to use 1/2" MDF and 1/4" end grain hardwood for 3/4" panels would I still need to "increase the Radius"?
I will keep internal dimensions as drawn in the plan.

If you go with 3/4" + 1/4" thick panels, use a larger a roundover/radius on the left & right edges. The other edges aren't as important, but the top will help a little bit.

If you use 1/2" + 1/4" panels, you can use the standard recommended roundover/radius.