Spade size for HT2-TL?

robinje

Spade size for HT2-TL?
« on: 7 Nov 2009, 08:36 pm »
I am awaiting a pair of HT2-TL's, and I want to be prepared with my speaker cable ready to go.  So, what's the appropriate spade size?  1/4"?  5/15"?  Other?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Spade size for HT2-TL?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2009, 10:03 pm »
I suggest you use Pomona double banana plugs on your speaker wires.  They are safe, foolproof, reliable, and don't break fittings.  Spade lugs twist loose, short together, and when you use a pipe wrench to tighten the jacks, you break the jacks off.

Just my suggestion, never mind me.  :)

Frank Van Alstine

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2009, 10:31 pm »
I use double banana's on all of my speakers. The force of the 2 bananas joined together keep them from backing out from speaker vibration. Great connectors.

Hi Frank.

Wayner

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2009, 01:08 am »
I liked the locking banana plugs on the wires that Jim used @ RMAF.

robinje

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2009, 02:27 am »
So, where online can I find some of these Pomona double bananas?

robinje

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2009, 02:28 am »
I guess I could just go "naked" and use bare wire on the speaker terminals.  Any problems with doing that and keeping it simple?

jmc207

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2009, 03:01 am »
I'm currently liking the BFA/Z-type banana plugs.

funkmonkey

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2009, 03:03 am »
I guess I could just go "naked" and use bare wire on the speaker terminals.  Any problems with doing that and keeping it simple?

Some would argue that this is actually the superior connection method, removing one possible link for failure and all...    only thing to watch out for is a stray strand of wire that could potentially contact the opposing terminal.  I got a tip and tinned the bare ends of my wires.

Bananas and spades make sense to me if you are constantly hooking, and unhooking, swapping power amps or speakers, but if you are a hook it up once and forget it guy...  surf naked