Look what FedEx left in my garage...

Nuance

Re: Look what FedEx left in my garage...
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2008, 06:53 pm »
:lol:

I am super happy for you!  Enjoy those badboys!

mpaulsen

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2008, 12:33 am »
Very nice speakers. I particularly like the wood.
What electronics are you using with them?

Nuance

« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2008, 12:49 am »
^  I see a Modwright piece in there, something I aspire to own one day (preamp).  What's the other gear, robinje?

robinje

« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2008, 02:28 am »
^  I see a Modwright piece in there, something I aspire to own one day (preamp).  What's the other gear, robinje?

Yeah, I do have two ModWright components, a line stage and a phono stage.  They are really nice, but I am in the process of consolidating the two units into a single chassis preamp with an included MM phono stage...  a Van Alstine Ultra SL.  I am trying to simplify my system somewhat.  Not to mention that selling the two ModWright pieces and buying the Ultra SL will free up some funds that I need right now.  PM me if you are interested in buying either of my ModWright components.  My sources are a Rega Saturn CD player and a SOTA Nova turntable.  I also have a pair of Wyred 4 Sound SX500 monoblock amps.  Eventually, I will probably pick up a Van Alstine Ultra 350 power amp to match up with the preamp, as the SongTowers apparently don't need the power wollop of the SX500's and moving from monoblocks to a single chassis amp fits with my simplification plan.  Don't get me wrong, the SX500's sound pretty darn good through the SongTowers. I have a feeling the Van Alstine amp will be even better, though...

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2008, 02:45 am »
Very nice looking ST RTs. Congratulations. I don't think you'll have any disappointment in the compatibility with the AVA gear. At least from my limited experience my stock STs sound fantastic with it.

Here's wishing eons of great listening  :beer:

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2008, 06:05 am »
Robinje, which linestage is it?  The 36.5 or the 9.0?

Have you spent any more quality time with the ST RT's?

robinje

« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2008, 12:40 pm »
My ModWright is the 9.0SE Signature (current version), which has the 5AR4 tube rectified power supply and 5687 buffer/driver tubes. 

I have a few hours on the SongTowers now and all I can say is, "WOW".  They greatly exceed my expectations, which were already pretty high based on everything I read prior to purchase.  I will provide a more thorough summary of my thoughts once the "honeymoon" period is over.  I could sit here and gush about them, but I'd rather wait until I have significant listening time accumulated. 

Thanks...