QW or HT2, what to do???

robinje

QW or HT2, what to do???
« on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:03 am »
Hello!  This is my first post on this forum.  I am very interested in a new pair of Salk speakers.  I have it narrowed down to these two Veracity models: the QW and the floorstanding HT2.  I have read all applicable previous posts and I have also called and spoken with Jim.  Here's what the most relevant facts are, as far as I can tell:

A.)  The QW is a bit less efficient than the HT2
B.)  The HT2 is rated at 4 ohms versus the QW at 8 ohms
C.)  The QW may be a little more "reserved" in the midrange, whereas the HT2 is more "punchy"
D.)  The HT2 can play louder than the QW and has more power handling capability
E.)  The QW extends a little deeper in the bass region than the HT2
F.)  Cost is roughly the same for these two models depending on finishing options, of course
G.)  Either of these fine speakers would probably be suitable for me

I play vinyl and CD sources (two-channel only, no video system).  My taste ranges from Alison Krauss to Black Sabbath.  My power amp has plenty of power for either speaker (Van Alstine Ultra 550).  My room is small (13x15 feet).  I listen pretty loudly (~90dB according to my Radio Shack meter in C-weighted mode).  That's my situation in a nutshell...

I am really torn between these two candidate speakers!  My current ones are Vandersteen 2CE Signatures and I've been somewhat happy with them, but I'm looking for tighter, more defined bass and a higher level of overall "transparency".  I am not considering the HT3 due to my small room and cost (I have to draw the line somewhere).  I am not considering the HT1 or sealed HT2 because I don't want to deal with stands and a sub.  My music collection includes both poorly recorded material and "audiophile approved" high quality recordings (about a 50:50 mix).  Please don't flame me, but the Gallo Reference 3.1 (a fine sounding speaker, to me) is also on my radar screen.  I am not, however, fond of assembly line Chinese factory products in general, and I'd prefer to have a domestic-made hand crafted product from a small, specialized, respected company with outstanding customer service; hence my arrival at Salk speakers. 

Anyway, I'd appreciate your insights and recommendations on which way to go: QW or HT2.  I hope I've provided enough information to help you help me make a decision.  I won't say which one I am favoring today, because tomorrow it may be different!

Thanks in advance...  Jim (not Salk, obviously)

mateo

Re: QW or HT2, what to do???
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:17 am »
I've been a quiet stalker of Salk speakers for a little while now, planning for a Songtower/QW/HT2 purchase, and I am also in a limited space situation. Three things to consider because of your space:

A. The transmission line of the QW apparently is easier on room acoustics issues (modes) than a traditional ported cabinet. This is probably an advantage in a small room.

B. The MTM design of the HT2 probably requires more speaker-to-listener distance for the drivers to integrate. It depends on your room and at what distances integration actually is an issue (I don't know), but again the QW may be more advantageous.

C. This is personal, but I really hate the look of the QW without external crossovers. With them, I really like the look, but its two more boxes to deal with. It's a personal thing, but the QW may be more physically awkward.

BTW (anyone), what's the weight of both the HT2 and QW?

robinje

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2007, 01:15 pm »
Thanks for your thoughtful response.  Regarding cost, the floorstanding HT2 with a veneered finish is $3295 and the QW is $3299.  Perhaps the "hundreds less" you are referring to for the HT2 is with the black satin finish.  I think this one is $2999, but I would opt for a veneered finish on the HT2. 

Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2007, 01:29 pm »
I have not heard the QW speakers yet.

I have heard the HT2s with all our AVA hybrid electronics and I was very pleased with the performance.  They do have the "magic" that is so hard to get.

I wish I could hear the QWs too. They appear to be such a completely well done design technically.

I will hear the SongTowers at the RMAF, and get to play with them in the room we are sharing with Salk for the whole weekend.  Others tell me this is a great combination too.

Have fun making up your mind.

Frank Van Alstine

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2007, 03:00 pm »
If sensitivity and ultimate power handling aren't issues for you, I would go with the QW.  I actually prefer its midrange, which I think has something to do with the transmission line loading.  I've noticed this in all of the TL speakers I've designed, using very different woofers.   

Brucemck

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2007, 03:26 pm »

I've not heard the QWs, but, as an owner of HT2 can tell you that they are amazing speakers, and even more so for the money.

I've owned a LOT of speakers ... big B&Ws, Krell's top of the line, Dunlavy coffins, and Infinity ribbons.  Even when compared to those much larger and much more expensive units the HT2s shine.  They sound great loud (amazingly low "compression" at higher volumes), sound great at low volumes, have tight low end bass, present clean images, and look terrific. You can't go wrong.

Sparks

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2007, 01:47 am »
Another owner of HT2s here.
I have 3 for a L\C\R arrangement.
Dynamite speakers for music and HT.
I listen to CD, SACD and DVD-A.
With the higher resolution soundtracks afforded by HD DVD,  movies are really nice now.
Clean is one word to describe them.
More than one listener has remarked on the fact that even when turned up loud, the system doesn't seem that loud.
I think it's due to the lack of distortion.
Upstream gear plays a vital role of course.
At low volumes, they still have detail.

asull2k

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2007, 11:20 am »
Unfortunately there aren't any reviews of the HT2 at audioreview.com (that I could find after a quick search), but there are 3 of the QWs and they are, shall we say, highly favorable.  One gent appears to have auditioned MANY speakers and says "by far, they are the most impressive 2-way design I have run into, and aside from the HT3’s, clearly the best speaker under $10k I have witnessed." How reliable an indicator that is is anybody's guess, of course, but anyway it looks like he's been able to do lots and lots of auditions (including the Gallo Reference 3 btw!).

Sounds like you're referring to something I wrote long ago.  I'm not so sure about the "best under $10k" but the QW's are still one of the best 2-ways around regardless.  I just don't like MTM's in general for a number of reasons.  But mine is just an opinion, and if someone is serious about spending a lot of $$$ on speakers, they should be willing to go the extra mile to hear for themselves if it justifies the cost.

robinje

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:28 pm »
"I just don't like MTM's in general for a number of reasons."

Would you please elaborate on why you don't like MTM designs?  Thanks.