Super 3 Series

raysracing

Re: Super 3 Series
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2013, 02:20 am »
These are for sale here.  Can you experts please identify the year and model in case the original owner cannot quite come up with all of the data to determine a fair asking price.  I looked at reviews and the review speaker had a different port and driver on 6moons.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122127.0

I have a collection of  Tri-path amps I think would do well with these. I'm super cheap and cheerful. No choice. That and my Tekton Lore's just never image how I like. IOW-they never disappear like I hear the Omega's will do which is what I love.   

TIA,
Ray

raysracing

« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2013, 02:45 am »
Ok if this video doesn't make you want a pair of Omega's nothing will.  Equipment probably cost more than all my belongings though.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwm9Mwm-gc

Louis O

« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2013, 07:35 pm »
Hi raysracing

Many thanks and the speakers listed are my old original Super 3. This is the one that started it all. They are the original wide baffle monitor. Looks like a very nice 2 tone.

They have the hemp's in them and can be upgraded to the RS5 drivers and they would be a direct drop in. Very easy to do.

Also many thanks for the link to the awesome system from New Zealand. This is the first time I have seen it.

Thanks again,
Louis

raysracing

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2013, 08:52 pm »
Louis I do want to eventually upgrade them. If they image like the others I read about I think I'l take them off his hands.

raysracing

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2013, 01:46 pm »
I should have my first pair of (used) Omegas next week along with a TPS3116 chip amp board (50x50w) and Omega speaker cables.  They will be used with lossless/high res files from an old Dell XP machine I just made my server feeding a Grant Tube Buffer> DacMagic Dac through USB and my Denon DP-62L TT with my Franskenstein cartridge inspired by Neobop on the vinyl circle. It is an old Signet body with a new ATT155 needle>Cambridge 651 phone amp.

I cannot wait to hear a single driver.  They might replace my Tekton Lores. I think the Lore's are special in their own respect, but every time I listen to them I keep wanting to move them a little I closer, a little wider, angle them in, moving from wall, a little closer to wall, move my chair left, right, forward.... I am hoping these Omegas will just sit there and be magical. Much less fussing or have that two box soundstage.

Now if I buy the RS5 speakers after awhile what should I DIY with the Hemp drivers? So much fun!

Louis O

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:56 pm »
Hi raysracing,

Thanks and great news. Sounds like you scored the cables too.

I would highly recommend the RS5's they are a huge step up. Especially in bass and mid-bass.

The speakers would be as coherent as you can get.

Thanks,
Louis

raysracing

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2013, 09:15 pm »
I bought the cables, but I didn't get the cables shipped...odd story. I will try double cable to the positive and single cable to the negative if I can.  It will be fun to tweak and see if it is audible.

raysracing

« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2013, 07:43 pm »
The used Omegas showed up. Let them warm up then finished my chip amp and fired it up with my iPod classic. So bright at first. Crispy bright, empty sound.Silly chip amp I bought has tone controls on the board with no center detent. Big mistake on my part. Kept playing then Jriver MC on my MacBook. Side note my cave is out of commission due to small, but stinky flooding last week. So no DAC or vinyl for while.
After an hour of playing they are starting to settle in and they are surely crystal clear. I swapped to my broken in Indeed tripath amp and that helped the brightness.
 I need more mid-bass for sure so the new drivers will be in my future. Can't settle myself down enough to evaluate soundstage in my busy house today. But damn are they accurate. Vocals, Banjo and violins on Antifrogmatic are amazing.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2013, 08:03 pm »
Sounds good ray, make sure to try a SET tube amp at some point. I could never get the sound just right with my tripath amp... no amount of tweaking will make it as god as a SET. Newer digital amps seem to be pretty good though, like the TBI... but I'd say be careful with chip/D amps as they may not do the speakers justice.

When I went with a SET the speakers disappeared and the tone became more realistic, I was always struggling with both of those things using a tripath amp.

raysracing

« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2013, 08:26 pm »
Dave I will try. I can tell already I want my tube buffer in the mix right now. These speakers are old so I cannot imagine they are going to sound much different now that I have run the cold and possible storage out of them. I can tell you this, I'll NEVER think single drivers cannot play bright or the higher frequencies.

Louis O

« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2013, 11:42 pm »
Hi raysracing,

Great to hear you got the speakers and I agree with Dave. The tripath is tough up on top. Most Class D is. The drivers most likely need running in too. When they are not used for a while they have to get loosened up again. The RS5's will transform the speakers as well.

Keep at it though and run bass heavy music for a while.

Many thanks for the compliments and they will really open up soon.

Thanks,
Louis

raysracing

« Reply #31 on: 25 Dec 2013, 03:11 am »
Now to luck out and find a cheap home made SET amp. Or learn how to make one of my chip amps a whole lot less hot sounding.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 25 Dec 2013, 03:26 am »
The RS5 drivers are a lot less hot sounding. You may find a good match with a digi amp, there are good ones. But it's hard to go wrong with a SET.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 25 Dec 2013, 10:54 pm »
Hi raysracing,

If I were looking for a very frugal SET, I would definitely consider the Elekit TU879S SET kit if you are into building.  If not, the Miniwatt SET would also be worth considering, or a used Decware SE84.  Also, check out Tube Depot (they sell the Elekit).

A SET or SEP will transform your current speakers, and the RS5 driver will take the sound to the next level again.  I have first hand experience with the hemp driver in the Super 5 Monitors and Super 5XRS running various of vintages of the 2w/ch Decware SE84 SET and found the sound to be sublime, but wanted to have the DeepHemp sub running all the time.  I currently run the latest version of the SE84 with the RS5 based Super 3XRS and find the sub no longer necessary.  The new RS5 driver is more efficient and fuller sounding with a nice bottom end.

raysracing

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jan 2014, 03:37 am »
So would a Single ended tube amp running in Pentode mode also be a good match for the Omega's with RS5 drivers or the original hemp drivers?

I am worried that not running in the normal mode may add harshness which I could not stand. I am currently having trouble listening to some of my vinyl because the crackles are so sharp and loud with the hemp drivers.

Louis can I order the RS5 drivers tomorrow?

Thanks,
Ray

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 2 Jan 2014, 04:09 pm »
Ray,
I have run the 4.5" hemp drivers on all kinds of amps and the only one that I felt was too harsh was a Cyrus 6vs integrated.  Although the RS5 driver is richer and fuller sounding it still has a top end that equals or exceeds the hemp driver, BUT it is not the top end you are finding harsh on your hemps, it is somewhat below the top end and that is one of several areas where the RS5 trounces the hemp.  The RS5 has a more linear frequency curve whereas the hemp leans more to the top end.  If you want to err on the side of caution, go with a SET, but I believe a SEP will be fine on either your hemps or the RS5.  The RS5 however, will improve everything regardless of your amplification and I would make that my next purchase before anything else.

raysracing

« Reply #36 on: 2 Jan 2014, 08:17 pm »
The RS5 however, will improve everything regardless of your amplification and I would make that my next purchase before anything else.

I really want to avoid an amp purchase if I can for the time being. I'll call and talk to Louis about some RS5's. As the hemps continue to loosen up I start to like them more, but so far shown almost no bass and say jazz drum with brushes or loud violin or piano passages are tough. I moved my home theater sub (15" Def Tech Powerfield, high level crossed at 100hz) down to the cave and it is a good enough compromise for now.

Ray

EDIT: Ordered the RS5's and after I break them in and love them I may order the XRS cabs.

raysracing

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2014, 10:09 pm »
I cannot wait to post a pic. Replaced Hemp with RS5 and holy crap do I love them. 79.75 more hours till broken in, but it is like I bought new speakers.

« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2014, 01:47 pm by raysracing »

Louis O

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jan 2014, 10:54 pm »
Hi raysracing,

Great news and great picture too. The RS5's put the original Super 3's to next level.

Very happy you like the new drivers.

Thanks,
Louis

romanrolan

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2014, 11:17 pm »
 Hi all guys, hi Louis, in the near future I want slelat order to buy speakers super 3 series, but I can not decide what I need.
First of all I want to clarify  audio system:
Rega Dac
Rega Brio R
Rega Apollo R
I know that Omega would be the best tube amp, so I will soon selling Rega Brio R and buy Almarro a205 mk, in this regard, I wish to ask whether there is a significant difference in sound between speakers super3, super3 desktop, and super3i?
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 04:57 am by romanrolan »