« on: 12 Apr 2010, 08:45 pm »
Send details.

Cheers,

Mark

Wayner

Re: WTB: Marantz 5220 cassette deck
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2010, 10:37 pm »
Mark,

Marantz cassette decks are notorious for failure with drive drive belt problems. I have known of many folks who had to put their decks down because of it. These decks, as with most other decks are all belt driven internally, and the belts get stretched and worn. If you are real insistent on finding one of these beauties, you may have to consider sourcing some new belts, or find someone that can service them and bring them back to life.

I just got my old Sony ES deck going and it was an adjustment on pinch roller tension. This deck is also belt driven and at some point will be SOL and will also have to be put down. I take it that you are building an all Marantz system, which sure is fun, but also has some roadblocks to over come.

Good hunting.

Wayner

Minn Mark

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm »
Thats right, Wayner.
Sure is something seductive about those blue lights.....I am also considering other vintage decks as I have a still working TEAC Z-6000 which I can use for recoding/playback in my 'reference' system.  I am currently using my Technics SL-D3  'table with the Marantz 2250B, and need to get around to sending you a headshell for a new Longhorn. I passed on the Marantz TTs after replies in my thread about their inherent design flaws (maybe a Thorens if I can find a reasonable one...)  I like that the Technics is fully auto and has a repeat function. The arm is moving a bit slow so I suspect I will need to take the bottom off and perform some lubrication.  Thanks for the replies, and let me (us) know how you like the Tascam cass/CD deck...sweet...also does mp3's !!

Cheers,
Mark

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2010, 12:36 pm »
Technics made some cassette decks that were direct drive. I haven't seen/heard one but am curious. That would at least eliminate the belt drive problem. The problem with my Sony tc-K707ES was alignment of left lower pinch roller, causing a flutter because of the mis-alignment. Listened to it yesterday, and was very impressed with the quietness of Dolby S.

Wayner