EQ for the HD6xx

JohnR

EQ for the HD6xx
« on: 14 Mar 2022, 01:29 pm »
Note on EQ - please read before commenting

Never assume that there is "one true EQ" for any type of headphone. There are a lot of variables: the shape of your ears, where you place the headphones, the thickness of the arm of your glasses (if you wear them), how worn the earpads are, and of course your personal preferences including the music you like to listen to. The electronics also makes a difference. Different copies of the same headphone can have different response and even the left and right sides of your headphone may differ.

This doesn't mean it's all futile, just that anyone's published EQ is just a starting point. Here's mine.

No wear on pads.

Low shelf 60 Hz, gain +3.0 dB
Peak filter 170 Hz, gain = -2.0 dB, Q = 0.8
Peak filter 2 kHz, gain = +2.0 dB, Q = 0.7

The first two even out the bass response, the third adds a bit of life. I'll fiddle with the last as time goes on. I'm going for a minimal EQ these days. Apart from being easier to fiddle with, with just three bands I can put this into my Babyface Pro. While it's a fairly mild correction it definitely makes a difference. Here's the curve in REW:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: EQ for the HD6xx
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2022, 02:37 pm »
I'm going for a minimal EQ these days.

Me too.  I find that EQ helps but only to a point.  If I use too much (or make it too large) then the sound suffers.  Modest correction with a minimum number of points seems to work best.