Magnepan LRS

AvsFan

Re: Magnepan LRS
« Reply #140 on: 19 Jul 2019, 04:44 am »
So all the electronics I initially bought to pair with my Magnepan LRS 2 channel system, well....That all went out the window when I put my ZU Audio Omen MKII Dirty Weekends in that room and tried it out. It was just for fun and to see how it sounded. Well it sounded so good that I left them in that room and now have the Maggie’s in my theater room. I wasn’t expecting that outcome. And the Maggie’s sound pretty good in the theater room. Especially pairing them with the dual subs. So now I am like, what now. Lol :)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #141 on: 19 Jul 2019, 05:19 pm »
Are the Maggies broken in?  It takes about 75 hours.  If so, it is not surprising that the Zu's sound better as the LRS's are a $600 speaker that performs way above its price point.  However, Magnepans need very good electronics to get the most out of them including a high wattage, high current amp.

Maggies will reveal all the weaknesses in your electronic chain.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2019, 07:23 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

WC

« Reply #142 on: 19 Jul 2019, 06:42 pm »
Not sure if AvsFan even tried the Cherry amps on the LRS.

Saturn94

« Reply #143 on: 29 Jul 2019, 01:25 am »
So all the electronics I initially bought to pair with my Magnepan LRS 2 channel system, well....That all went out the window when I put my ZU Audio Omen MKII Dirty Weekends in that room and tried it out. It was just for fun and to see how it sounded. Well it sounded so good that I left them in that room and now have the Maggie’s in my theater room. I wasn’t expecting that outcome. And the Maggie’s sound pretty good in the theater room. Especially pairing them with the dual subs. So now I am like, what now. Lol :)

What subs are you using with the LRS?

AvsFan

« Reply #144 on: 29 Jul 2019, 04:59 pm »
Are the Maggies broken in?  It takes about 75 hours.  If so, it is not surprising that the Zu's sound better as the LRS's are a $600 speaker that performs way above its price point.  However, Magnepans need very good electronics to get the most out of them including a high wattage, high current amp.

Maggies will reveal all the weaknesses in your electronic chain.

Yeah, let's get this thread up and running. Because I really want to get it right and hear the true potential of what Maggie's can do I have only heard glimpses here and there. I would say yes, they are broken in now, especially since moving them to the theater room.  And I know they perform way above what $650 should buy you. The ZU's do the same thing, they are a $2000 speaker with a $999 price tag. Seriously.  Sometimes companies like Magnepan and ZU build such a GREAT entry level speaker, that it certainly is not "entry" level by any means.

And yeah, I know they need good electronics, and you already know I have been in search for those and ended up going with DAC electronics. Which are the BEST electronics I have ever owned personally. In regards to both the Stereo Maraschino and DAC DAC HS1. So I initially purchased those to go with the Maggie's. And even though they sounded very good, still not good enough. I actually got the amp to go into protection mode on a couple of demanding songs. So for fun, I moved the ZU's from the theater room to this two channel system, and WOW!!!!!! I was simply AMAZED on the synergy and sound I was hearing for the ZU's. Easily the BEST I have EVER heard my ZU's sound. So the ZU's are now a permanent fixture in this two channel room. Music is such a joy with this system. The LRS's are currently in my theater room being ran off my Pioneer AVR. So it's back to the drawing board for the LRS's. I think for now, I am leaning towards two Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblocks that put out 300 watts per channel into a 4ohm load. At some point in time, I really think the end game amp for my Maggie's will be an AVA SET 400. And the Maggie's will eventually end up in my living room system.

AvsFan

« Reply #145 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:06 pm »
Not sure if AvsFan even tried the Cherry amps on the LRS.

I have. It was a no go. Tommy is upgrading the power supply to a 60v KING version for me but the ZU's are staying in this room. The system sounds that good. When I get the 60v power supply, I will probably try it with the Maggies, but like I said, I'm not permanently changing out the ZU's from this room because of how GREAT it sounds. 

AvsFan

« Reply #146 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:07 pm »
What subs are you using with the LRS?

Dual RSL Speedwoofer 10S's. REALLY good subs!

https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #147 on: 29 Jul 2019, 08:21 pm »
It does not surprise me that the Cherry's ran out of steam.  For dynamic music at medium to loud volumes you need over 200wpc of clean power and high current for Maggies to sing. You will also need some dynamic headroom. The AVA 400 will be a great match.

AvsFan

« Reply #148 on: 29 Jul 2019, 08:52 pm »
It does not surprise me that the Cherry's ran out of steam.  For dynamic music at medium to loud volumes you need over 200wpc of clean power and high current for Maggies to sing. You will also need some dynamic headroom. The AVA 400 will be a great match.

Definitely ran out of juice with the Maggie's. I am glad I gave the Cherry's a shot though, or I wouldn't have realized how good they sounded with the ZU's.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #149 on: 29 Jul 2019, 09:56 pm »
The upgraded PS will produce 400 watts into 4Ω. :wink:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #150 on: 29 Jul 2019, 10:24 pm »

Should be smooth sailing with the upgrade!

AvsFan

« Reply #151 on: 31 Jul 2019, 09:00 pm »

You're talking about the Stereo Maraschino 60v King Version? 400 watts into 4ohms???????

AvsFan

« Reply #152 on: 31 Jul 2019, 09:35 pm »
I'm 3 days away from the 60 day grace period. Really trying to make a solid decision about keeping them.

AvsFan

« Reply #153 on: 5 Aug 2019, 01:31 am »
Spent all weekend listening and dialing in the Maggie’s to my liking. They are in my theater room. Being ran off my Pioneer VSX-LX503. I know some may say, what a waste, your not taking full advantage of them and so on, but they actually sound pretty good. Actually Very good! I’m pretty impressed with this speaker. Keeping them. My question is this. Here is a link to my Pioneer. Can you guys take a look at it and the specs and tell me what you think? My main concerns are, as follows. I don’t want to put too much strain on the Pioneer, are the Maggie’s too much speaker for my AVR? I have them set to small and crossed over at 80hz right now. I would go down to 60hz but don’t want my in ceiling speakers set that low and whatever I set my AVR to, all speakers are set to that. Unless I run the Maggie’s full range, which I might do but I know that would put a heavy load on the AVR. That brings me to my next question. In the Pioneers settings, for speakers it only gives you an option for 6ohm or 4ohm settings. Obviously the Maggie’s are 4ohm, but my surrounds are8. What’s the correct setting? I have it at 6 right now, is that going to damage the Maggie’s? Even if I do keep them in my theater room, I still plan on getting the AVA SET 400 to power them. At that point in time, I will most likely run the Maggie’s full range because that Amplifier will be able to easily handle them.

AvsFan

« Reply #154 on: 5 Aug 2019, 01:32 am »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #155 on: 5 Aug 2019, 01:56 am »
You should have no problems running 8 ohm speakers on the 4 ohm setting because the 4 ohm setting is the minimum setting and 8 ohms is above that.  You should be fine with that Pioneer just don't play it too loud or you may put it into protection mode.  But that is less likely to occur due to your crossover at 80hz.

You will be more impressed with the LRS when you get better electronics.  Will  they be as good as the Zu's, not sure but they will be different.  Certainly the larger Magenpans will sound better than the LRS.  But it is all a matter of taste.  I heard a pair of Zu's about 5-6 years ago, they were not for me.

Saturn94

« Reply #156 on: 5 Aug 2019, 02:00 am »
I don’t think you will damage the Maggies with that AVR.  Also, I imagine the AVR would shut down if it couldn’t handle the Maggies.

Is the AVR running hotter than usual?  Have you burned out any of the Maggie fuses?  If no, then I’d say your good.

That’s a good question about what ohm setting to use when combining 4 and 8 ohm speakers.  I have no idea.  :scratch:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #157 on: 5 Aug 2019, 02:02 am »
I don’t think you will damage the Maggies with that AVR.  Also, I imagine the AVR would shut down if it couldn’t handle the Maggies.

Is the AVR running hotter than usual?  Have you burned out any of the Maggie fuses?  If no, then I’d say your good.

That’s a good question about what ohm setting to use when combining 4 and 8 ohm speakers.  I have no idea.  :scratch:

By running the AVR set to 6 ohms you will put more stress on the Pioneer and run a greater risk of it overheating

AvsFan

« Reply #158 on: 5 Aug 2019, 04:34 am »
By running the AVR set to 6 ohms you will put more stress on the Pioneer and run a greater risk of it overheating

Why would running it at 6ohms put more stress on it? I figured running it at 4ohms would put more stress on it. Hey that’s why I asked the question in the first place? I didn’t know what setting was ideal in this situation.  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #159 on: 5 Aug 2019, 04:44 am »
You should have no problems running 8 ohm speakers on the 4 ohm setting because the 4 ohm setting is the minimum setting and 8 ohms is above that.  You should be fine with that Pioneer just don't play it too loud or you may put it into protection mode.  But that is less likely to occur due to your crossover at 80hz.

You will be more impressed with the LRS when you get better electronics.  Will  they be as good as the Zu's, not sure but they will be different.  Certainly the larger Magenpans will sound better than the LRS.  But it is all a matter of taste.  I heard a pair of Zu's about 5-6 years ago, they were not for me.

Thanks for the info. And that’s exactly why I set the Maggie’s to small and crossed everything over at 80hz. To put as little stress on the Pioneer’s amps as possible. Until I buy a new, more powerful amp. But I played the heck out of it today. All day long. Video games for a good 2 hours, played music through YouTube and Spotify for 3 hours, watched XGames, and watched some Vikings. I had it really cranked during some of my music listening. The Pioneer nor the Maggie’s seemed to complain or have any issues. I felt the top of the Pioneer and it was warm, but nothing alarming or anything I thought I should worry about.