Can current BP-26 still work wth MPS2 Power supply?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I own a B-26 and a MPS2 power supply.
The BP-26 volume has an intermittent problem of losing the right channel. If I wiggle the knob it returns. This only happens once every month or so, but unless I wiggle the knob and flip it back and forth, no music right channel. This problem has been going on for years.. a very long time.(from this you can surmise I do not complain much LOL)

SO I would just buy another Bryston BP-26, but now the current version uses a different power supply!
So the question is can the current version of the BP-26 use the MPS2 powr supply
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2021, 12:25 am by Elizabeth »

brucek

Re: Can current BP-26 still work wth MPS2 Power supply?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2021, 07:44 pm »
The BP-26 volume has an intermittent problem of losing the right channel. If I wiggle the knob it returns.

Standard fault with analog potentiometers. Bryston would simply replace it and you're good for another 20 years.

ltr

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2021, 09:13 pm »
Hi Liz

Yes the current BP26 will work with the older MPS-2 power supply.

james

Toolbox149

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2021, 11:40 am »
I take it your BP-26 is newer than 2006 so it’s not grandfathered into the 20 year warranty, and you don’t have a receipt so you don’t qualify for the normal 20 year warranty.  If Mike Pickett at Bryston can’t qualify your warranty, I would still send it to Bryston. As said before, it’s probably just a potentiometer which shouldn’t cost you more than 10% of a new BP-26
 If your worried about shipping you won’t be able to take it to Audio Emporium without a receipt from them. Figuring that you’re in the Milwaukee vicinity, you could take it to Bob at Ultra Fidelis  https://ultrafidelis.com/   On 70th and North Ave. in Wauwatosa.  Bob can take care of you easy-peasy.
I currently have my BP-26 for sale but I’m going to take it off the market for a month or so.  If you can’t bear to be without your music while your BP-26 is in for repair we could make arrangements for you to borrow mine while you wait for yours to return. I’ll probably be putting my BP-26 back on the market in later September, so I’ll want it back before then.

Tim
Brown Deer, WI

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2021, 12:58 pm »
Hi Tim

Not sure what you mean by 'grandfathered'?

james

Toolbox149

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2021, 02:17 pm »
Meaning - Units manufactured before 2006-02-22 are covered under the old warranty rules.

Units manufactured after 2006-02-22 are warranted under the following rules:

“As of 2006-02-22 Bryston will only warranty Bryston products purchased through authorized Bryston dealers. Bryston products with a date code of 0608 or higher (date code format is “yyww”, where “yy” is the two least significant digits of the year and “ww” is the week of the year) must be accompanied by a copy of the bill-of-sale from a Bryston authorized dealer to qualify for warranty service. The warranty is transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner as long as a copy of the bill-of-sale from the original authorized Bryston dealer accompanies the re-sale. The copy of the bill of sale to any subsequent owner need ONLY include the Name of the Bryston Authorized Dealer and the Model and Serial number of the Bryston product. The warranty will only be honoured in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston.”

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2021, 02:26 pm »
Hi Tim

OK thanks - I was thinking you meant after 2006 we were not offering a warranty  :duh:

james

rob80b

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2021, 04:07 pm »
I own a B-26 and a MPS2 power supply.
The BP-26 volume has an intermittent problem of losing the right channel. ,........

Hi Liz

Had a similar problem way back on my BP25...not saying you have the exact same issue but it was just oxidization on the the input switcher....
The volume pot is sealed but an easy fix for Bryston if sent in, plus they'll most likely do a full overhaul and return it as good as new.  :D

My system appreciation has been fairly consistent until just recently, balance starting swinging to the right, which I blamed on allergies, then I felt my vinyl sounded a bit distorted which I blamed on the cartridge/needle, then there was a bit of leakage and buzzing from the phono to the balance 1 input, also there was an increase in static when turning the input selector, at which point giving the input selector a couple of back and forth rotations hoping to self clean the contacts I lost volume on the left channel of the phono stage and then the other inputs. :bawl:
Well to make a long story short I did the normal trouble shooting and came to the conclusion the BP25P was the culprit :idea:, so before sending her off to Bryton I popped the lid.

The contacts for the input selectors are not completely sealed although there is a partial plastic covering, by saturating the corner of a very thin piece of paper with methyl hydrate I was able to clean the contact points and voila all of the above mentioned problems were eradicated  :banana piano: and the selector noise which was always there from day one was also cleared up, zero static, silent. Maybe even the erratic tick I hear from time to time when playing the BCD-1 was attributable to a dirty contact but only time will tell.
So with a little internal house everything sounds better than I ever remember. :beer: