Music Giants Super HD Files and AVP16 Processing Problems???

jxo

Last night I downloaded 2 Super HD album files from Music Giants ("Let it Bleed" and  Stevie Ray Vaughn) that my AVP 16 could not seem to decode.  My computer monitor showed that the files were being played but no sound from the audio system.  I am not certain of the characteristics of these files.  Tech support at Music Giants informed me that a 24/96 capable DAC should be able to play these files.  I thought the AVP16 was good up to 24/192.

I have a coax digital cable running from my HTPC to the coax input on the NuForce.  iTunes, Media Player, ripped CDs etc... all play fine.  I have been using my computer as a music server for years without problems.  These Super HD files are the only ones causing issues.  The file size and bit rate is about 3 times the size of lossless ripped CDs.  The SRV album is not copy protected; it would produce no sound via Windows Media Player; iTunes converts and downrezs the file which can be played and heard from the NuForce.  The Stones album is protected and can be played only via Media Player and in its high rez format, the NuForce DAC seems to have problems.

Any suggestions?  fixes?  others have success with these Super HD files?
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 08:09 pm by jxo »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
Re: Music Giants Super HD Files and AVP16 Processing Problems???
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2008, 02:27 am »
Hi,
It's very difficult to determine where the problem lies.  Perhaps the output from the S/PDIF is not correct?    Most USB-sound card for example, couldn't support 96kHz.

AVP16 and AVP17 works with DVD player playing back high-bit-rate 96kHz and 192kHz 24-bit LPCM soundtrack, such as the Nuforce DVD Sampler.

jxo

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2008, 01:16 pm »
thanks, I will look into the computer settings a little more.  I know some software players (like Media Player) have 24 bit problems, so it could be a software issue as well as a SPDIF problem.

Here's a useful link to computer audio playback:  http://extra.benchmarkmedia.com/wiki/index.php/Computer_Audio_Playback_-_Setup_Guide

jxo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2008, 07:17 pm »
Hi,
It's very difficult to determine where the problem lies.  Perhaps the output from the S/PDIF is not correct?    Most USB-sound card for example, couldn't support 96kHz.

AVP16 and AVP17 works with DVD player playing back high-bit-rate 96kHz and 192kHz 24-bit LPCM soundtrack, such as the Nuforce DVD Sampler.

Casey:  can SPDIF handle 24 bit data streams?  could there be an issue with the coax input on the AVP16?  I will try to see if its a SPDIF issue on the computer end.  Most people speculate that's where the problem is.  A usb DAC may be the only solution for these types of files.

jxo

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2008, 04:31 am »
It was the software player.  WMP cannot handle 24 bit without extra help.  Foobar played the Super HD files fine.  3000kbps sounds great.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2008, 02:34 am »
Yes, Foobar is awesome.