Auditioning an AKSA

Carlman

Auditioning an AKSA
« on: 22 Jan 2003, 06:39 pm »
I've read and read and have found gobs of positive reviews on AKSA and Odyssey amps.  I found a place to hear the Odyssey so, now I'm really interested in hearing the AKSA.

I have had a B&K ST-140 for about 5 years.  I've bought new speakers, Revel F30's and I'd like to buy a new amp that matches the output potential of these speakers better.  The B&K is a little weak sounding to me.  It does a lot right but, I'd like to have a smoother mid and high section and a deeper soundstage.  I'd like the music to come another step closer to real.

I can read a million reviews and never know what it sounds like.  So, my plea is to you Audio Circle members if anyone has built the AKSA amp if I could drop by and take a listen.  I'd prefer that they are in NC.  The closer to Raleigh-Durham the better but, I'd travel an hour or 2 to hear them.  I will buy you a CD of your choice. (under $20) And, I'll bring something to drink or eat if you'd like.  :)

Please let me know if you'd be willing to do this.  My email is cmcmillan3@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Carl

Darren Thomas

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2003, 10:09 pm »
Carlman,

Sorry, I'm in WA but I can tell you my experience. I recently demoted my B&K Reference 4420 to surround duty after building a 3 channel AKSA 100. Mine still needs to break in a bit but the soundstage was improved, it has oodles of overhead with my 4ohm GR-Research AV1+'s, and it has wonderful control of the lower frequencies.

Wish you were closer :)

Darren

AKSA

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2003, 11:13 pm »
Hey Guys,

Favor:  Is there anyone with striking distance of Raleigh/Durham NC who can offer Carlman a listen to an AKSA?

They might also give him some pointers on assembly;  Carl is a little reluctant to build, not having done a power amp before.

Carl, how about upstate NY?  Would that be close?  Or MA? Or RI?

Cheers,

Hugh

tg3

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:33 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Hey Guys,

Favor:  Is there anyone with striking distance of Raleigh/Durham NC who can offer Carlman a listen to an AKSA?

They might also give him some pointers on assembly;  Carl is a little reluctant to build, not having done a power amp before.

Hugh,

You're not from here, are you? :wink:

Yahoo maps indicates the drive from Durham, NC to Rochester, NY is 770 miles and would take nearly 12 hours driving. And a nasty trip this time of year, with the weather and all.

Or is that distance considered 'just around the corner' down under? :!:

Best regards.

EchiDna

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:38 am »
Quote from: tg3
Quote from: AKSA
Hey Guys,

Hugh,

You're not from here, are you? :wink:

Yahoo maps indicates the drive from Durham, NC to Rochester, NY is 770 miles and would take nearly 12 hours driving. And a nasty trip this time of year, with the weather and all.

Or is that distance considered 'just around the corner' down under? :!:

Best regards.

770 miles? I think my front gate is further than that back home in Oz ;-)

now don't you go picking on Hugh ya hear!  :nono:

PJ

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:42 am »
Down under, a lot of people wouldn't even know what a mile is...

AKSA

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2003, 04:06 am »
Ahem,

What's a parsec to an Aussie?

I really must stop throwing darts at the big map of USA, and take off my blindfold.......   :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

Rocket

help with aksa
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2003, 09:53 am »
hello,

actually pj 1 mile = 1.6 kilometres or .58 miles = 1 kilometre that's what happens when your as old as i am, i had the pleasure of learning both metric and imperial when i was a kid.

anyway is there anyone within striking distance for carl to have a listen to an aksa?  i've been corresponding with carl thru audio asylum and have recommended an aksa amp to him.   i know where he is coming from as you can read a million positive reviews and still not know if it is a good sounding amp.

regards

rod

PJ

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2003, 12:52 pm »
Yeah, I knew that Rod, it was my poor attempt to show that like most nations, Australia had moved to the metric system  :roll:

Rocket

aksa
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2003, 01:44 pm »
hello pj,

btw have you started assembling your aksa yet?  did you go for the 55 or 100, if you need a point of reference i don't have a problem with you coming over and having a look at my amp.

mine is coming along well i've just picked up the faceplate and top of the chassis from the laser cutting company and it's now in getting powder coated.  i was pretty happy with the powder coater he is only charging me $20.

regards

rod

Carlman

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2003, 06:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies... RI, NY, New England in general is not only too far but the trip is a real pain.  It would cost as much as the amp to make the trip just in tolls.   :!:

I do travel to Washington DC  and Baltimore area somewhat regularly.  That area may open an option.  I've noticed there seems to be a large concentration of hi-fi in Greensboro, NC.  I was hoping someone there would chime in... but, maybe not.  

Thanks to Rod for suggesting the amp.... I hope to hear one sooner or later.  It may be the one I buy at this rate...  :wink:

-Carl

fred

Buy AKSA at no risk!
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2003, 10:34 pm »
If you were to build one but DIDN"T like it, I'm pretty sure we can find someone who'd buy it from you (as long as it's operational).  I could actually use another 2-channel AKSA.  :)

So you see, you have nothing to lose, but a little time in building it.

Grumpy_Git

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2003, 10:41 pm »
Arrrgghhhhhhh! I hate our postal system.  :evil:

I've been waiting for just over a week for My Damn AKSA to arrive (Not bad for halfway round the world!) and what should happen but when my postie comes up to the door he decided not to knock and now I'm forced to wait till tomorrow when I can get to the depot to collect it.

Think I've got everything else sorted. The Transformers have arrived and other than 1or2 bits all the ancillaries are here too.

Seeing as this is a new process for me, I want your most obvious hints and tips on assembly garnered from mistakes anyone may have made....

Nick.

Rocket

buying aksa
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2003, 12:55 am »
hello carl,

i think that fred has made a good suggestion to you.  you could build the amp and if you didn't like it you could always sell it thru this forum.  there is always someone who is after an aksa amp.

the best way to really find out how an amp is going to work for you is to actually hear it in your own system.  there are just so many variables with hifi, some ppl may have a weak component in their system which reduces the level of performance of the amp that you are auditioning.

i personally have found the greatest improvements to my system have been in order of appearance speakers, amp, preamp and cdp (dac).  this is my personal experience as in the last 2 years i have completely revamped my system.

anyway best of luck of with decision and please keep us posted.

regards

rod

Carlman

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2003, 01:23 am »
Rod,
I agree that my own system is the only place to hear a signifigant change.  I'm going to listen to a set of Odyssey monoblocks next weekend.  Unfortunately, the speakers, preamp, and everything else are completely different in every way from what I have... so, I don't know what I'll get out of it... maybe some local hifi friends.. :)

It will be late Feb before I'm ready to buy anything.  I'm most excited about the AKSA at this point.  It seems like it would be lively and musical which is exactly what I want.  

Thanks for everyone's input so far... any and all feedback, interest, or options are welcome.

-Carl

AKSA

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2003, 01:41 am »
Hi Carl,

I believe the advice given by Fred and Rod is solid.

Trying (for a moment!) to be objective, there are around five factors in choosing any product:

1.  Performance
2.  Reputation
3.  Cost
4.  Service
5.  Resale

I suspect it's fair to say the performance is unknown, at least for you.

Reputation is, I believe, clearly evident on this and other forums, such as www.audioasylum.com.  If you have not done so, browse around, do a keyword search on 'AKSA', and see what comes up.  Over a sample of say 20 owners, you should have a fair indication of how their expectation has been met or otherwise.  In just about every instance, you will find that expectations have been met, and in quite a few cases, maybe 30%, exceeded.

Cost is a huge factor for almost everyone I know, but as a North American you have a big currency advantage and, not to put too fine a point on it, the AKSA is inexpensive, particularly as it compares to amps costing three or four times as much.  As a general rule, if price/performance ratio is favorable, resale is good, and a mistake made can often be recouped in full.

Service is important, particularly for a kit.  In truth, there are few kits whose service backup is attended by the designer.  (Perhaps because only a fool would do both!!)  I service every aspect of this kitset;  purchase, all email contact, transaction, follow-up, diagnosis etc.  In general, it's fair to say no one knows the product like the designer.......

Resale is important.  I think it's fair to say that the resale value of an assembled, working AKSA is around the same as the cost of the kitset.  That means you have only your time to lose, and likely you will enjoy that time during assembly anyway!

I cannot offer more than two hours email help at no charge;  after two hours I charge $US35 an hour.  However, ask around, get the facts and the help I give, and I believe you will be reassured.

I hope this puts it into persective;  you are not buying a car, or choosing a wife!  This is a small purchase in dollar terms with the capacity to give you years of sonic joy - and I promise you, any AKSA is a keeper!

Cheers,

Hugh

PJ

Auditioning an AKSA
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:48 am »
Hi Rod,

I have mostly assembled one channel of the amp...its pretty easy, but the soldering of the copper sheet to the nails is a PITA.

I am still waiting on the heatsinks, so I cant yet go any further..

Its the 100W.

I may come around and have a look at how all the transformers and everything are hooked up..just to make sure, but I wont be at that stage for at least a week. I let you know how i'm going.

PSP

to Grumpy_Git
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2003, 06:34 pm »
Hi Nick,
AKSA assembly and layout disasters to avoid?  There are lot of guys here with more experience than I, but I'll try to list a few ideas.

0.  short signal leads
    1. keep AC well away from signal leads.  Twist AC, twist the signal wires, keep the two as far apart as possible and if they must cross, cross them at 90 degrees and seperated as far as possible.
    2. keep the torroids as far away as you can from the amp boards
    3. some feel that the power supply board should be close to the amp boards (because of the high inductance of DC, I think)
    4. cut the slot in the chassis for the heatsink large enough so that you can slide the heatsink, mounted amp boards, and the components mounted to the amp board easily through the slot.  That way, you can do the biasing external to the enclosure, on your workbench, where you have good light and it is easy to attach clip leads.  When all is sweet, mount the completed and biased assembly on the chassis.
    5. pay attention to the snubber (cap and resistor) Hugh suggests for the mains switch.  Use a really beefy power switch... all to avoid arcs and burned out switches.  The inrush current in the AKSA is significant.
    6. My personal Waterloo... quit when you get tired.[/list:u]

Take care, have fun, and prepare yourself for some extreme sound.

Peter