Advice on performance road recumbent bikes

schw06

Advice on performance road recumbent bikes
« on: 5 May 2011, 04:57 pm »
I'm considering making the leap from a road bike to a performance based recumbent bike. I live in Atlanta and there is a surprisingly limited selection to choose from. Any experienced recumbent bike owners that can weigh in? I would like to stay around $2000 and so far the most likely candidate is the Catbike Musashi. Advice on other bikes to consider, where to purchase, and how to get the best price are appreciated!
David

Don_S

Re: Advice on performance road recumbent bikes
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2011, 07:00 pm »
David,

I have been bent for 15 years or more.  I really don't want to do an accurate count of where the time went.  :o  My custom Bacchetta Giro is the most fun I have ever had on a bike including when I was a kid.  My "other" bike is an all Campy Record-equiped Merlin but the Bacchetta is my first choice when I am riding alone.

Did you pick what is known as a "low-racer" for a reason other than local availability?  Knowing a little more about why you are considering a bent would be helpful.  My recommendation is the same as for power cords.  You have to try them in your system.  That is kind of hard with bents since they are not always available and it really takes some time to know if you will like a particular one.

Many riders end up swapping from the first bike they purchase as they learn more about bents and become more comfortable.  I strongly urge you to consider a "high-racer".  That would be my first choice for a "performance" bent.  High-racers have matching sized wheels (26x26 or 650x650c).  That would be my choice if my legs were longer.  I also have a problem laying down and raising my head far enough so I ride more upright. My ride:

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2011, 07:31 pm »
Here is the best single website I can think of.  It is the "AudioCircle" of recumbents.  It has reviews, ads, links to manufacturers, a message board and a buyer's guide

http://www.bentrideronline.com/

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2011, 07:32 pm »
That's a cool looking bike!  I've never tried a "bent" but see guys riding them all the time during my weekend training.  Someday, when I'm older or if I ever have back trouble, it's good to know there are options for those of us who love riding.  I'd be afraid to ride it around town because cars might not spot me in the lower position of most recombents. 

I have no advice but wish the OP luck in his search.  Try before you buy is always good advice.  Also, try to find a local group of riders and see if you can join one of their meetings or get-togethers.  It's going to be hard to find a shop with a good selection of recumbent bikes, I imagine. 

Let us know what happens in your search! Oh, and good luck!

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2011, 07:33 pm »
Here is the best single website I can think of.  It is the "AudioCircle" of recumbents.  It has reviews, ads, links to manufacturers, a message board and a buyer's guide

http://www.bentrideronline.com/

Very cool.  There is also a recumbent section on bikeforums.net but it's not as popular some Bent-specific forums. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2011, 08:05 pm »
Here's a few options from last weekend's Human Powered Vehicle Competition at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last weekend.    :thumb:

A few of these will hit nearly 50 mph!

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2011, 08:54 pm »
Fast Freddy Markham set a world human powered speed record.  I am not sure if it has been beaten yet.  He rode 53.43 miles in one hour.  Note: that is not velocity, it is the distance covered in 60 minutes. I did not see any information on his top speed.

bentconvert

« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2011, 09:02 pm »
I recommend looking at a Bacchetta Corsa. It is a "high racer" and right at your $2,000.00 price point.   http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bikes/performance-bikes/corsa.

I ride a Bacchetta Ti Aero and ride with others that have high racers. From my experience the bigger wheels are faster. My Aero has 650's, Bacchetta now has a 700 option and they are faster but they place the seat too high for my legs. One of the guys I ride with is a dealer and he brought a Catbike Musashi to a ride. Everyone who rode it thought the high racers were faster. Another guy in our group had a Challenge w/20" wheels and he sold it for a Corsa. YMMV

Good luck, and welcome to the dark side :thumb:

Steve

mor2bz

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2011, 10:15 pm »
Haluzak.

Make sure you never give it everything you have with one of these machines
is you have a history of a weak back. 

on a reg. bike if you push down with 180 # your butt comes out of the saddle and
your hips, back, knees, ankles are protected from force beyond that level.  but on
a recubent you have a fixed back and a fixed output and you can turn the thing into
a legpress machine.  (and drive your legs into your back) . 

pedal these things with your heart and lungs.  i would do anything to save someone the
injury i sustained from pedaling too hard.   still hurts 12 yrs. later.

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2011, 01:04 am »
Another point about recumbents that is seldom mentioned is that there is no gravitational assistance available for ascending hills. You cannot stand-up in the pedals and go on up the hill. If the energy is not in your legs you are not going up the hill. An interesting sidebar,recumbents were banned from international road racing competition back in the 1930's due to unfair advantages over diamond frame bicycles.

My modified Bike E,about 37lbs. Many recumbents have a seat back frame such that a small to medium backpack can be attached to the frame behind the seat. I have 1200cu. in. pack that I use to carry what ever I might need for a day trip:water,food,first-aid,repair kit and bicycle locks/cables.
Scotty

bentconvert

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2011, 08:10 pm »
Out of budget but way cool!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2011, 08:59 pm »
Fast Freddy Markham set a world human powered speed record.  I am not sure if it has been beaten yet.  He rode 53.43 miles in one hour.  Note: that is not velocity, it is the distance covered in 60 minutes. I did not see any information on his top speed.

Canadian Sam Whittingham holds the hour record (56.373 mi) on 2009-07-17, and the top speed record (flat ground, undrafted) of 83+mph at Battle Mountain, Nevada in his Varna Diablo III.  Here he is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway two weeks ago in a demonstration ride.

Heckuva gentleman, always willing to help others.

orthobiz

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2011, 09:13 pm »
I have an old Vision short wheel base under seat steering. They are out of business but I'll bet you can pick one up cheaply on eBay. I love mine.

Paul