Once in a lifetime UcD700 Amplifier Opportunity

Kevin Haskins

Once in a lifetime UcD700 Amplifier Opportunity
« on: 23 Apr 2009, 10:15 pm »
I'm in the process of updating some of my amplifier designs.   In the interest of moving some chassis/transformer inventory that I have, I'm going to offer a killer sale on the UcD700HG monoblocks.   I'm offering a limited number (until I run out of parts, about 10 pairs) of units for the unprecedented price of $2000/pr for a turn-key set of reference monoblocks.    I think if you look around, you will find that is an incredible price for the value these babies represent.   

This is a customer who replaced a set of MBLs @ $42,000/pr driving a set of Wilsons.    I've had very good feedback from a couple dealers that had me build a couple units for their personal use.   

The details: 

I've been building various versions of the Hypex Class D amplifiers for years.    They have a great reputation so I won't give you the typical sales pitch.    Do a search for Hypex and amplifiers and you will find plenty of information about the product, and Bruno Putzeys the designer.   

Here is a quote from happy customer I found by digging through my forum.   This was for the next model down, the UcD400s which have represented most of my builds but doesn't have as much power or sound as good as the UcD700HG monoblocks.

"I built one of the UCD-400 2-channel kits and have loved it. I think even the assembled units will be an incredible value and much easier for Kevin to support. I was recently auditioning speakers and brought in this amp to see how it sounded with some different speakers I was interested in. I was able to compare this amp to McIntosh MC-501s in the same system driving the same speakers and I came away with a slight preference for the Exodus amp! I was really thinking the 501s would outclass the UCD-400s but this was definitely NOT the case. For those of you not up on all the McIntosh details, these are 500 watt 100lbs monoblocks that (with the new price increase) are over $11k for the pair.

Your results may vary, but I think that these amps are an incredible value and I recommend them wholeheartedly."

The Hypex UcD amps are Class D designs so they are very efficient.    The UcD700 delivers 700W into 4-ohms.   I've yet to find a loudspeaker it didn't drive with ease.   It excels with electrostatic and other difficult loads.    Here is the Hypex information on the amplifier module along with measurements.   

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/UcD700HG.pdf

For those who want a trial, I have no problem offering trials with the provision that you pay the shipping & credit card fees (about 3% for the charge, 3% for the chargeback) if the amplifiers don't work in your system.     

These puppies are about 30lbs shipping each so they are substantial items to ship.   

Let me know if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 06:51 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

Re: Once in a lifetime UcD700 Amplifier Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2009, 10:53 pm »
A couple more quick points:

Dimensions:   8.5" W x 16" D, 3.75 H (with feet just under 4")   A pair of them fit in the standard 2U rack space or on an equipment rack side/side.   I just checked my last shipment and the shipping weight was 38lbs each.    I triple box them so lets say they are 30-32lbs each.

I have stock to build the first couple sets, I'll order more Hypex parts as I take orders.   It takes me about a week to build & ship.    If I get a bunch of orders, I'm slower.    Count on a 2-3 weeks just so everyone is happy.

Why am I selling these so cheap?   

As I said, I'm trying to move some inventory that will be dead inventory (parts) when I introduce the next generation product.    What is the next generation?   I bought a CNC milling machine and I'm going to build my new chassis in-house.   The new generation product will move over to the Hypex SMPS power supply so they are smaller, lighter and cheaper to build and ship.  I'm also using the UcD400OEM modules so I cut some of my assembly labor.   The rear panel will have all the connectors integrated into the PCB so that saves some of the wiring assembly time.   The SMPS power supply is MUCH smaller and compact.   It will decrease shipping cost and headache considerably.   I also integrate my own input stage on the OEM modules so I shouldn't loose any sound quality vs. the HG modules.    They are in development now so I'll have more details when they are finished. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:50 pm »
Ping!

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:27 pm »
Is it wrong to want to sell my car and use a pair of these as subwoofer amps...  :drool:?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:32 pm »
Is it wrong to want to sell my car and use a pair of these as subwoofer amps...  :drool:?

Yes... ;-)

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:29 pm »
Wow, and me with no extra money.  :(

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:35 pm »
Wow, and me with no extra money.  :(

HA!  since when...did ebay shut you down?
Get out there & use that new Digital camera
photograph some more 'gotta haves' & sell 'em.

Just kidding you David....are you still in Texas doing your thankless job?
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2009, 11:31 pm by Carl V »

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2009, 02:16 am »

Just kidding you David....are you still in Texas doing your thankless job?

Hi Carl, how's the teeth business?  I am home, but heading back to Texas in about a week.  Maybe I should ask for a $2K spot bonus and buy Kevin's amps.  :)

penderaudio

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2009, 01:39 pm »
Kevin If I had 2K extra laying around I would buy those in a second! Your mono blocks have been on my wish list for some time now.

-Jamie-

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2009, 03:43 pm »
d
« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 06:52 pm by Kevin Haskins »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2009, 06:16 pm »
I still have a couple of these left.   I'm going to run an ad on Audiogon within the next couple weeks so this will be the last chance to get these at this price.

Just an FYI for any fence sitters.

kwl

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2009, 06:54 pm »
Can any owners of these UcD700 amplifiers comment on how they sound, particularly with respect to other "digital" amps.  I have listened to both ICE-based (EVS 500M) and Nuforce (Ref 9SEV2) in my system, but never a UcD-based amp.

Thanks!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2009, 10:56 pm »
Can any owners of these UcD700 amplifiers comment on how they sound, particularly with respect to other "digital" amps.  I have listened to both ICE-based (EVS 500M) and Nuforce (Ref 9SEV2) in my system, but never a UcD-based amp.

Thanks!

I doubt your going to get an answer because I've only sold a handful of the UcD700 builds.   There are many many many more of the UcD400 builds out there.   They have a family resemblance, but the UcD700s are definitely a notch up the food chain. 

For most of my customers, the UcD700 was too expensive or at least the customers willing to drop $3.5K (typical price) wanted something that was a more recognizable brand (Krell, Ayre, Rowland etc..).

I'm migrating over to a couple things that I think will help me compete better with the big-boys.   For one, I'm planning on having a 45-day trial with some minimal expenses if they don't work in your system.   System synergy is a big part of the game and the only way people are going to know what is going to work for them, is if they try it in their system.   One of the ways I'm doing that, is that I'll have a more standardized model line with fewer options which allows me to get product back, test it, repackage it and put it back into inventory.   

Second, I'm significantly updating my chassis work.   I bought a new CNC mill, CNC lathe, vibratory tumber and finishing gear and I'm in the process of building my own anodizing line.    I'm basically designing a small-scale production line for high-quality aluminum chassis work.    These will ship in ultra high quality packaging (small crates).    They will be Made in America but pricing will still be very attractive. 

Third, I'm designing my own input stage, while using the Hypex output stage with the new Hypex developed SMPS power supplies which are superb.   This allows me to keep the signal path ultra-short with the inputs/outputs all right on the rear panel.    The SMPS will be separated within the same chassis by an 1/2" thick piece of aluminum plate.    This all is ultra-efficient, with a >90% efficient SMPS, amplifier module, and control capability to put it in standby with very low energy consumption.   I've tried to keep the design as "green" as possible with low energy consumption, and the chassis design will be 100% upgradeable for any possible future updates.   When it eventually would reach the end of it's usable life (should be decades) the chassis would be 100% recyclable at your nearest aluminum depot.   It is about 8-9lbs of aluminum per mono-block so that is a lot of beer cans.    :lol:

Fourth, I have both 110V/220V operation so they can be sold overseas which is something I've refused to do with the existing designs due to the difficulty of supporting overseas customers.   These are much less weight so International shipping should be much easier and less painful.   Changing a unit from 110V --> 220V is simply a matter of changing a jumper.     

mbolek

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2009, 07:14 pm »

Thanks!

I love my UCD700s.  I built several monoblocks and currently use two with my 5 channel (UCD180s).   IMO, these modules outperformed both ICE and Nuforce.   The most critical listening was up against the Rowland 201s and the 201s ended up on Audiogon... :)

Kevin helped me a great deal with my Hypex stuff.   

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=52369.msg468234#msg468234

marty

« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2009, 06:10 pm by mbolek »

mbolek

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jun 2009, 07:16 pm »

Thanks!

I doubt your going to get an answer because I've only sold a handful of the UcD700 builds.   There are many many many more of the UcD400 builds out there.   They have a family resemblance, but the UcD700s are definitely a notch up the food chain. 

For most of my customers, the UcD700 was too expensive or at least the customers willing to drop $3.5K (typical price) wanted something that was a more recognizable brand (Krell, Ayre, Rowland etc..).

I'm migrating over to a couple things that I think will help me compete better with the big-boys.   For one, I'm planning on having a 45-day trial with some minimal expenses if they don't work in your system.   System synergy is a big part of the game and the only way people are going to know what is going to work for them, is if they try it in their system.   One of the ways I'm doing that, is that I'll have a more standardized model line with fewer options which allows me to get product back, test it, repackage it and put it back into inventory.   

Second, I'm significantly updating my chassis work.   I bought a new CNC mill, CNC lathe, vibratory tumber and finishing gear and I'm in the process of building my own anodizing line.    I'm basically designing a small-scale production line for high-quality aluminum chassis work.    These will ship in ultra high quality packaging (small crates).    They will be Made in America but pricing will still be very attractive. 

Third, I'm designing my own input stage, while using the Hypex output stage with the new Hypex developed SMPS power supplies which are superb.   This allows me to keep the signal path ultra-short with the inputs/outputs all right on the rear panel.    The SMPS will be separated within the same chassis by an 1/2" thick piece of aluminum plate.    This all is ultra-efficient, with a >90% efficient SMPS, amplifier module, and control capability to put it in standby with very low energy consumption.   I've tried to keep the design as "green" as possible with low energy consumption, and the chassis design will be 100% upgradeable for any possible future updates.   When it eventually would reach the end of it's usable life (should be decades) the chassis would be 100% recyclable at your nearest aluminum depot.   It is about 8-9lbs of aluminum per mono-block so that is a lot of beer cans.    :lol:

Fourth, I have both 110V/220V operation so they can be sold overseas which is something I've refused to do with the existing designs due to the difficulty of supporting overseas customers.   These are much less weight so International shipping should be much easier and less painful.   Changing a unit from 110V --> 220V is simply a matter of changing a jumper.   

Kevin,

Any prelim pics for the new chassis... :)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2009, 03:41 am »

Kevin,

Any prelim pics for the new chassis... :)

Marty,

Not yet.....  I'm in the "learning stage" of using my CAM software not to mention all my new tools.   :lol:

I've been working a lot of 16 hour days trying to get on top of everything.   I don't remember what my kids look like.   

I think it will be a good 6-8 weeks before I have something that I'll be proud to show.   It may be less but I'm aiming for having product ready for full-scale production by the end of summer.   Prototypes will be cut in the next 4-weeks.    This week and next I'm installing some new work areas, setting up the anodizing line and getting the shop situated.    All this while trying to stay on top of normal business.   

Oh the joy of being self-employed.   :D