Can I build an Ella?

2channelguy

Can I build an Ella?
« on: 9 Jan 2003, 12:19 am »
I was just looking at the Ella and it looks like it could be a fun project. I took an electronics class in high school (14 years ago). So I have done some soldering and I sure I could get a quick refresher course just doing a google search. I'm also pretty good at following instructions.

So what kind of skills and tools would I need? Are the circuit boards pre assembled?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I just don't want to get in over my head.

Also, how would the Ella compare with a RAM modified Jolida?

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Can I build an Ella?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2003, 08:18 pm »
2channelguy:

It is incredibly tough for me to give people advice on their building capabilities.  In general I tell people they should know how to solder, use a voltmeter, understand basic electronic components and troubleshooting.  Your dealing with high voltages in almost any tube product so it is especially important that you have a grasp on the potential for frying yourself.   The 500V on the B+ is enough to stop your heart so you have to know how to work with those voltages safely.

I used to tell people that just about anyone can build one that knows how to read, solder and follow directions.  I've since changed my tune because I've found that isn't the case and when there are troubles, many people are not up to troubleshooting if they don't have the basic electronics skills.

As for the PCB it is populated... you only need to solder power, tubes etc.... to the PCB board.  

In terms of the comparison I don't have a clue.  Never had a Jolida so I wouldn't be of any help to you.

zachslc

Can I build an Ella?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2003, 09:50 pm »
I succwssfully built a Basie as my first tube project.  I had built several speakers before and an SS amp.  I don't knwo how the ella construction compares to the basie, but the basie was quite simple.  Actually building it only took a few hours aside from the time I spend trying to find a replacement tube after I hooked up the secondaries wring party by my own stupidity and partly byt the transformer color coding.

2channelguy

Can I build an Ella?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2003, 06:17 am »
Thanks Kevin. I feel that was honest advise. I thought about your reply for a while and while I am familiar with basic components such as diods, capacitors, transformers, etc. I just don't know that I would be able to handle any serious trouble shooting. Perhaps you or someone else could point me in the direction of say a simple tube monoblock amp that would be better suited for a starter.

Thanks again!

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Can I build an Ella?
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2003, 08:02 pm »
2-channel guy:

Well... amplifier choices should always be made with consideration for what you need to drive.   What speakers are you using?