Piano M2 listening tour

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Piano M2 listening tour
« on: 1 Jun 2012, 04:41 am »
Guys,

The M2 prototype sounds so darn good that I'm starting a listening tour, tomorrow. 

Here are the rules:

1) You must be an existing Sensation or Piano customer living in the continental USA (except for JamesT who will be the one exception).
2) You can keep the unit for max 7 days, before sending it on (assuming 10 days per turn, that's only 12 people in 4 months)
3) Virtue will cover Fedex ground shipping + insurance.

PM me if you qualify and want to be on the tour.  The unit is pretty suite looking 2-tone with DBA's carbon fiber top.  Love it and then pass it on.

Production units will have a power button in the bottom right corner (what looks like power is actually an input selector + volume control).  They will also have a SPDIF input on the back and optional 24/192 USB input ($150 up-charge).   HOWEVER, I will NOT build it if the consensus is that it's not better sounding than the M1 and until we have 50 firm orders. 

I will post a pre-order link after I figure out pricing.  Pre-order will be a huge discount but you'll be waiting 2-4 months while I sit on your money (mu..haha). 

Seth

Rclark

Re: Piano M2 listening tour
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2012, 06:36 am »

Oh man I can't wait to check this thing out.  :green:

ben4

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2012, 01:24 pm »
That's excellent news, Seth.  I had all but given up hope of an M2.  Best wishes for the listening tour!

Ben

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2012, 03:08 pm »
If you guys are taking care of Fedex I'm in baby!!! Thanks Seth!!! :thumb: :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2012, 08:34 am »
We've got 6 folks signed up.  Scott should get it on Tuesday.  I'm crossing my fingers that it holds up ;-) 

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2012, 01:48 pm »
We've got 6 folks signed up.  Scott should get it on Tuesday.  I'm crossing my fingers that it holds up ;-)

Thats allot of shipping for a single cd player!
guys please be sure to keep all packing materials and reuse them.
My guess would be by the third to fourth shipment the box will need replaced...
I'm thinking small wood crate  :wink:

classicjt2

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2012, 04:20 pm »
Hey Seth-

I'm in.

James

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2012, 12:37 am »
Sign me up, please. Thanks Seth! :D

srb

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2012, 12:44 am »
I'm thinking small wood crate  :wink:

I don't know about UPS, but I know FedEx charges extra for shipping non-standard (non-cardboard) boxes, whether wood boxes or ATA shipping cases.  As small as the player is, I would just triple box it with 1" foam between the 2 outer boxes.

Steve

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2012, 12:59 am »
And make sure you triple tape the box. UPS will not pay for damage if three pieces of tape is not used on the top and bottom of the box.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2012, 01:01 am »
And make sure you triple tape the box. UPS will not pay for damage if three pieces of tape is not used on the top and bottom.
That's why he's using FedEx.  :wink: :P

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2012, 01:09 am »
That's why he's using FedEx.  :wink: :P

I guarantee you, Fed Ex has the same policy about how well the package is taped.

Yep, I was right.

Recommended Three-Strip Taping Method
• Use pressure-sensitive plastic tape at least 2” (5.08 cm) wide
(3” [7.62 cm] width preferred) for lightweight packages.
• Use water-activated paper tape (minimum 3” [7.62 cm] width,
60-pound grade) or water-activated reinforced tape to seal heavier
packages.
• Distribute the tape evenly across flaps and seams, using the H taping
method shown.
• Apply at least 3 strips of tape to the top and bottom sides of the
carton. (See Fig. 4)
• Tape across all seams and flaps.

http://images.fedex.com/ca_english/shippingguide/preparepackage/packagingbrochure.pdf

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2012, 01:11 am »
I guarantee you, Fed Ex has the same policy about how well the package is taped.
Yes, I have an account for both.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2012, 02:29 am »
Yes, I have an account for both.

most decent actual packing shops (not ups store type shops) can make special boxes.
the guys I use to pack my speakers make me special foam and triple thick cardboard boxes :)
the boxes are also stapled. around $30 for a decent sized box that will fit a larger amplifier is a good deal.

chances are nothing will happen to it, our pianos are built like a brick!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2012, 04:52 am »
Scotty,

All this talk is freaking me out.  I'll send you another box with some proper foam inside tomorrow.

Seth

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2012, 07:57 am »
Any pics (of the M2, not boxes and tape)?

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2012, 08:12 am »
John,

The M2 on tour is built into the M1 case... looks exactly the same.  I posted pictures but had a browser snafu.. in my gallery.

The guts will stay the same for production (assuming folks like the M2) however, it will be accessorized differently.  The only difference you will notice looking at it from the front, will be that the power switch will be called "VOLUME" ... it's also a tap switch to change inputs.  Volume is digitally attenuated in the DAC and all the Sensation remote functions will work.

The prototype supports 3 digital inputs (1 is the CD player).  The other two are accessible on-board for DIY folks (please don't mess with additional inputs on the prototype, not documented).  There's also a tube buffer input and output jack, which I will not be populating.  If you're DIY, you can squeeze something in there.  Production will have at least three inputs and a few other tweaks, we'll see what makes it...  :lol:

I'm anxious to see if the new transport holds up.  It's entirely new, featuring a SHARC processor (overkill???) of all things... my OEM says it's more reliable.  The module from a pro-audio outfit I think.  The fit is considerably tighter around the transport - please don't try to disassemble the prototype.

If the demo unit blows a tire... as it may, I haven't quite figured out what to do.  We'll see how long it lasts on tour...

Seth

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2012, 11:50 am »
Guys I got Danny Ritchies tour N2X awhile back after like 40 people and the box was doubled and held both speakers. It was the original box and looked rough but they survived. The way you guys ship CD players is fantastic anyway....I wouldn't get overly stressed.
 :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jun 2012, 06:41 pm »

Just got the M2 prototype in and it is a beautiful unit. Brushed metal and carbon fiber  :thumb: The Mellissa form factor quite compact, great quality throughout, nice touches.. I'll have to move the Erc out of the way and take some pics with the Two.2

Just listened to an album :green: I'll going to let it properly warm up over the day, and keep my mouth shut until I've had the full seven days to listen, but so far thumbs up.. Just now played one of my "reference" tracks, lol, Van Halen's Eruption..  :thumb: :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jun 2012, 09:35 pm »
Just got the M2 prototype in and it is a beautiful unit. Brushed metal and carbon fiber  :thumb: The Mellissa form factor quite compact, great quality throughout, nice touches.. I'll have to move the Erc out of the way and take some pics with the Two.2

Just listened to an album :green: I'll going to let it properly warm up over the day, and keep my mouth shut until I've had the full seven days to listen, but so far thumbs up.. Just now played one of my "reference" tracks, lol, Van Halen's Eruption..  :thumb: :thumb:

Please don't go into spontaneous eruption before your seven days are up, otherwise we won't know how the unit sounds.   :D