Any opinions on this Ebay/Gigawork DAC?

strider

Any opinions on this Ebay/Gigawork DAC?
« on: 6 Sep 2010, 04:53 pm »
After reading some of the positive posts about the non USB/Non oversampling DACs available off of Ebay from Gigawork, I started looking at their other DAC offerings. This one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hi-End-24-192-DAC-DA-CONVERTER-CS8416-CS8421-CS4398-USB-/120617173720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c155802d8
caught my eye.

I have need of a DAC with a USB input and for it to be able to handle hi rez files in their native format (non-oversampled). I have a couple of concerns with the one in the above link, first is the oversampling board. The ad indicates it can be either disabled or switched off, which as far as I can tell is fine. Are there any negatives with this approach? The other concern would be the USB IC; looking at the data sheet it appears the USB input is limited to 16 bits and 48kHz, am I interpreting that correctly?

Any other thoughts on this particular unit?

Thanks,
Ben

srb

Re: Any opinions on this Ebay/Gigawork DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2010, 05:15 pm »
The other concern would be the USB IC; looking at the data sheet it appears the USB input is limited to 16 bits and 48kHz, am I interpreting that correctly?

Yes, the PCM2902 USB 1.1 DAC chip (USB receiver & 16-bit DAC) is limited to 16-bit/48KHz.

Steve

strider

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2010, 06:31 pm »

Yes, the PCM2902 USB 1.1 DAC chip (USB receiver & 16-bit DAC) is limited to 16-bit/48KHz.

Steve

Glad I asked. Thanks for the quick response.

hasekisgod

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:31 am »
but if you use the coax input how is this dac then? i will not use the usb sense i have a HP touchscreen with coax out put built in. i love that PC. everything goes threw the touch. it is nice specially with my music. but back to the dac, do u think it is a good one if i use the coax or optical inputs? i will not use the upsampling. i really dont understand why this has a upsampling if the cs chip goes to 192 by itself. and is there mods to the new blueish boards? thanks mjc

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2010, 01:18 am »
Have you read this thread in The Lab section:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78737.0

They discuss the Gigaworks DAC.